PAX East 2011: L.A. Noire Brings Unparalleled Realism to Virtual Characters

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
8 square miles?... that puts it roughly slightly smaller then GTA San andrea's =/ i was hoping for a slightly bigger world but so long as the play area is very detailed with lots to do =)

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
This game looks awesome, in fact, this entire year is just going to be a drain on my wallet in terms of awesome games.

Also this is kinda good for rockstar, I'd like to see guys like Jack Thompson try and call this a murder simulator like for the GTA series when your actually the one solving the murders.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
Why can't they make a "Who framed Roger Rabbit" game with this technology instead?
I think a better question is why don't you get your foot in the door and buy the rights so we could enjoy that idea?

OT: I was sold from the very beginning on L.A. Noire (Not to mention it has my initials in the title, sort of) and I still won't sway on that opinion. I am going to buy this game as my first Pre-Ordered title and hope to have a good time with it.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
See, what I worry about for this game is that it isn't going to have much difficulty in it.

All of the clues are already there, and I bet if you walk close to them an icon will appear saying "Press X to pick up cigarette" or something. And with musical queues showing when there's nothing else left to investigate, people will just stay in the area until everything is found. It's kind of like Heavy Rain where the only reason you would miss something is if you just didn't explore enough.

I dunno, I'm a bit worried about it, but it still looks awesome. I am loving the setting and the style, so I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
The gameplay sounds a lot like an electronic version of Pelgrane's GUMSHOE p&p rpg system. As that's one of my favourite systems, consider me signed up. ;)

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
Hopefully you can turn off musical clues, it sounds a bit too easy. Also experience points for completing cases well sounds silly, if you're good at reading faces you'll want the game to become more challenging when it'll just get easier, and if you aren't any good at reading faces you'll just keep struggling.

That said my hopes are still high.

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
Thank you for letting my partner drive I actually appreciate that one... as for everything else, it just feels like they're holding you by the hand and that kind ruins the experience and the fact you don't have a chance of failing each case then what's the point...

Tom Goldman said:
Korten12 said:
Tom Goldman said:
Will there be a Multiplayer, similar to that of RDR? Just wondering. Since I wiwll of course play the SP first, but I would like to have something to do after. :)
I believe I asked and they said no, but don't quote me on that.
The Rockstar Q&A on Facebook revealed that there wasn't going to be any multiplayer, with a single play as strong as LA:N, a mutliplayer would have only taken away from the LA:N experience.

"There will be no multiplayer component of L.A. Noire ? the combination of innovative technology and unique gameplay that allow you to solve crimes through interrogations and investigation is really one that?s geared entirely for a single-player experience. Trust us that this is a game unlike any you?ve played before ? very different not only for us here at Rockstar but for videogames as a medium. Bolting on generic multiplayer on top of that would not make much sense, or be a good use of our time or development budget! Hope this clears up any confusion. We thought this would be spelt out in some of last week's previews, but as it wasn't, we felt we should clarify ourselves." - R*

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
Pre-ordered. I love detective stories, and this just shows how there's a severe lack for detective games as opposed to FPS's. I hope this catches on so that we can see more of this genre.

Also, I'm not concerned about there not being any multiplayer. That space could be used to fit in a couple cases/side missions, which is never a bad thing.

The only thing I'm concerned with is that it'll share the adventure game's curse: once you beat the game, you're given little incentive to play again since you know the correct path, unless you didn't get everything right the first time around. Maybe the replayability is seeing all the different ways that the case can end up, since Rockstar said that you can't fail a case?

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
ace_of_something said:
(everything CSI has taught you is complete science fiction)
You mean like how witnesses are unimportant and that all that matters is the evidence? Yeah, I always thought that was complete baloney. :p

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
elvor0 said:
I'm really looking forward to this, if Red Dead Redemption is anything to go by this should be a great experience, I'm just upset I've only got a xbox 360 and not a ps3 so I wont be able to play it, 40s noire is one of my favourite settings, more stuff needs to be made like this.
L.A. Noire is coming out for both 360 and PS3.
OT: Might have to pre-order this...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
No PC version? Shame.

Also rotating a globe puzzle to find an address? Is this Murder Mystery or "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago?"

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Looks awesome...

Although I think it needs an...

[HEADING=1]Objection![/HEADING]

Everytime you catch a witness on something.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I sincerely hope that this game performs well, commercially and with reviewers.

But this is a Rockstar game, there shouldn't be a problem with that.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
solidsnake101023 said:
is this going to have the black darhila case
I've heard it does, or that there's at least something similar. I wouldn't be the one to ask, though.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
They seem to have finally crossed the uncanny valley. Also, holy shit John Noble [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0633604/] is in a video game. John Noble is awesome.

I hope to god there's a PC version, eventually.

IvoryTowerGamer

Feb 24, 2011
Jumplion said:
See, what I worry about for this game is that it isn't going to have much difficulty in it.

All of the clues are already there, and I bet if you walk close to them an icon will appear saying "Press X to pick up cigarette" or something. And with musical queues showing when there's nothing else left to investigate, people will just stay in the area until everything is found. It's kind of like Heavy Rain where the only reason you would miss something is if you just didn't explore enough.

I dunno, I'm a bit worried about it, but it still looks awesome. I am loving the setting and the style, so I can't wait to get my hands on it.
I can understand your reservations, but it seems to me that a game like this is more about story than difficulty anyway, so I don't think it'll matter much.