Pay 2 Win Acceptance

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yes, but but the creator of VG Cats got worse around 2014 and afterwards. I say he's just about as almost bad, or about the same as Ctrl+Alt. At the end of the day, they're just another group of jackasses who have over inflated egos, or their egos grew because the success of their web comic.

I'll leave you with these.
Wow. A bunch of really whiny idiots not actually getting the point of comics they got butthurt over and had to go crying to tvtropes. I wish he was still making the comic... I'd start reading it again just to spite those morons.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wow. A bunch of really whiny idiots not actually getting the point of comics they got butthurt over and had to go crying to tvtropes. I wish he was still making the comic... I'd start reading it again just to spite those morons.
Not all entries are created equally, and while there are some petty ones (and there are in many a dethroning suck page), it does not invalidate the ones who have a point, or you can see where they're coming from. I did not even know he stopped making the comics. Even if he started making comics again, and you started reading them again to spite the haters, most of them wouldn't even care.

Reactions: Kyrian007

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Not all entries are created equally, and while there are some petty ones (and there are in many a dethroning suck page), it does not invalidate the ones who have a point, or you can see where they're coming from. I did not even know he stopped making the comics. Even if he started making comics again, and you started reading them again to spite the haters, most of them wouldn't even care.
Agreed, I realize haters wouldn't care. And I also agree petty doesn't invalidate someone who has a legitimate criticism... its just in this case I didn't see any of them that were valid. But that's just my opinion, not everyone will agree with me siding with a creator over a portion of angry ex-fans in this instance.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
For me its not just a question of being very strongly against p2win, its the idea I'm against all kind of manipulative game that tricks you into thinking to pay. Because no matter what it will always make me think that the game has been purposely designed to make you "lose" or "want that extra life". Countless of simple game like crossword, brick breaker, infinite idle, all have shop with offer that include, the [premium] pass that allow you to get more, a X$ per month to get more, the pay X$ to open a premium box right away, pay to skip, offering bundle of 100$ in the e-shop, etc...
but 99% of the time those are not worth a damn, I'm going to say it, NO GAME, none, should ask 100$+ for ANYTHING, I don't care that we are in a free market (Its doesnt make sense that a very simple brick breaker game can ask 14$ a month for basically cheating in game, 14$ a month is the price of WoW for god sake), a full fledged AAA game with season pass is 100$ or so, how the hell can you say that your half mediocre, half baked, riddle with ridiculous behavioral predatory system that prevent a nice play through even if I would have spend 20-30$. That is the problem, the amount of money you would need to spend to have the semblance of a full game, because if I look at some of the mobile, even if I would have spend 200-300$ and still not even be close to a "full game", im still going to be restricted by the next pay wall, by the next "no more energy to play", ithe next "wait gaming" stupidity, so, why the hell would you spend 100$ for less than a real game that restrict you and trick you into paying and get nothing? I even seen some people think that there could be some programming probability that would make you "lose" on purpose, like the game Candy crush, how can we know its not on purpose that the game is lost and you only have a few move left to win? I am sorry but I dont believe its a real random .
And I feel like its the same in game that are competitive, either you are faced against "stronger" player so you would want to spend more to grab those extra rarer cards.

At the end, I hate all pay to skip shenanigan, because at the end, we pay money and receive nothing in return, its just paying to SKIP waiting, nothing else, its not even a question of accessing more content like an expansion. Its just throwing money in garbage and at the end its just to pay the service rather than the game.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
For me its not just a question of being very strongly against p2win, its the idea I'm against all kind of manipulative game that tricks you into thinking to pay. Because no matter what it will always make me think that the game has been purposely designed to make you "lose" or "want that extra life".

Countless of simple game like crossword, brick breaker, infinite idle, all have shop with offer that include, the [premium] pass that allow you to get more, a X$ per month to get more, the pay X$ to open a premium box right away, pay to skip, offering bundle of 100$ in the e-shop, etc..but 99% of the time those are not worth a damn.

I'm going to say it, NO GAME, none, should ask 100$+ for ANYTHING, I don't care that we are in a free market (Its doesnt make sense that a very simple brick breaker game can ask 14$ a month for basically cheating in game, 14$ a month is the price of WoW for god sake), a full fledged AAA game with season pass is 100$ or so, how the hell can you say that your half mediocre, half baked, riddle with ridiculous behavioral predatory system that prevent a nice play through even if I would have spend 20-30$.

That is the problem, the amount of money you would need to spend to have the semblance of a full game, because if I look at some of the mobile, even if I would have spend 200-300$ and still not even be close to a "full game", im still going to be restricted by the next pay wall, by the next "no more energy to play", ithe next "wait gaming" stupidity, so, why the hell would you spend 100$ for less than a real game that restrict you and trick you into paying and get nothing?

I even seen some people think that there could be some programming probability that would make you "lose" on purpose, like the game Candy crush, how can we know its not on purpose that the game is lost and you only have a few move left to win? I am sorry but I dont believe its a real random .

And I feel like its the same in game that are competitive, either you are faced against "stronger" player so you would want to spend more to grab those extra rarer cards.

At the end, I hate all pay to skip shenanigan, because at the end, we pay money and receive nothing in return, its just paying to SKIP waiting, nothing else, its not even a question of accessing more content like an expansion. Its just throwing money in garbage and at the end its just to pay the service rather than the game.
*Fixed for non-text-wall-version*

Reactions: Siyano and BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Ok, so...this isn't being a 'realist' or defeatist or whatever else. This is just straight up, classic video gamer elitist bullshit. Instead of being mad at video game companies and publishers that keep pushing this awful monetized crap, you think the problem is that games are too broad, and if they stop catering towards casuals/women/'not real gamers' or what have you, and started catering to me, a real gamer, then things wouldn't suck so much.
The thing is that’s objectively the issue though. It’s the “real gamers” who are aware of and will fight this bs. Sadly that’s not always enough, as we see with how indifferent the bulk of casual gamers or kids with parents’ CCs are to it, which is I think what @immortalfrieza is getting at.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The thing is that’s objectively the issue though. It’s the “real gamers” who are aware of and will fight this bs. Sadly that’s not always enough, as we see with how indifferent the bulk of casual gamers or kids with parents’ CCs are to it, which is I think what @immortalfrieza is getting at.
I noticed, but it doesn't excuse the "I know everything and better than you!" type attitude, just because of a disagreement.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I couldn't honestly give a damn who the video game industry is catering to. It's not elitist to state that the source of the problem is the source of the problem. The fact that the gaming industry's primary audience is casual gamers who by definition only pick up any random video game that will kill an afternoon and then just move on without giving it a second thought is in fact why things suck so much, yes. People who actually care about video games like just about everybody on these forums have been complaining and boycotting games that do these terrible business practices for years now and assuming all of them are actually sticking to that they haven't impacted sales enough to actually stop these practices from existing. Where then, is the market that allows these business practices to exist and flourish coming from?

The answer? The only other group of gamers that exist, casual gamers. Casual gamers vastly outnumber hardcore gamers by several orders of magnitude. Of course casual gamers are the audience that the video game industry is using these business practices to exploit! By definition they don't care that they're being exploited because video games are just a bit of fun they can take or leave whenever they want to.
No. You want a realist perspective, how about this: companies are not villains from toddler shows, and going "swiper no swiping!" three times in a row isn't going to make them suddenly stop their exploitive crap. Hell, the example most commonly brought up about how we have the power to change this (Battlefront 2) was less about consumer outcry and pushback than it was about European countries starting to look like they were going to start regulating everything and EA wanted to get out ahead of it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think the loop we're stuck in here is similar to the Democratic process: you can vote independent if you want to, but the next president WILL be a Democrat or a Republican. Voting on principle might content you, but it won't ultimately affect the whole. The games industry has found a way into gamers' pockets, and they won't taken them out without fistfuls of cash and we [collectively] have shown them they can reasonably expect to do so. Yes, some of us will swat them away, but we're by far and away the few.