PAY for ketchup at a McDonald's? ARE YOU MAD?!?

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Yes. The lady at the window said the ketchup packets for my fries would be 15 cents each.

I told her, and subsequently, McDonalds, to go suck a fat one, I've got my own ketchup at home.

When did this start? I mean, yeah the barbecue sauce costs a little extra, because it's more than a single packet. But ketchup? Seriously?

Has anyone else heard about this? Is this a new thing everywhere, or just at my local branch?

Also, how fucking stupid is this? Very? Yeah, very. I'm going with very fucking stupid.

Timboslice

May 21, 2010
Thats not as bad as paying to use the restroom in the McDonalds I go to. It's fucking bogus.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
My local McDonald's has the little cups you fill on your own, and those are still free as far as I'm aware. Got real bad food poisoning last time I had McDoanld's and haven't eaten there since.

soilent

Jan 2, 2010
Timboslice said:
Thats not as bad as paying to use the restroom in the McDonalds I go to. It's fucking bogus.
fuck that, just shit on the floor, let those greedy fucks deal with it.

wordsmith

TF2 Group Admin
May 1, 2008
PAY for the food at McDonald's? ARE YOU MAD?!? Burgers that are about 5mm thick, chips that are greasier than John Travolta's movie career in 1978, "cola" that is basically sugar and carbon dioxide... Shit, the ketchup is probably about all that I WOULD pay for in McD's.

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
The good thing is you turned them down... the bad thing is if they put ketchup in there and automatically charged you. Which they'll plan to do next, I'm sure.

And yes, that's stupid, I can't believe how stupid that is. I have no idea if this is going along with that initiative to start taxing soda or what... I doubt it and it may just be McDonald's trying to earn more money and fleece customers further. That's probably the truth of it and I don't think there's going to be any stopping of it unless you raise the red flag immediately.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
wordsmith said:
"cola" that is basically sugar and carbon dioxide...
Put a Coca at the front and suddenly it's full of chemicals! No natural ingredients, guarenteed. If you find a natural ingredient in Coca-cola, we'll send you 200 free cans to destroy your dental life!

Enjoy living on the CHEMICAL side of life :D

Oh yeah, and Doralingus, THIS IS BULLSHIT!

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Timboslice said:
Paying to pee or poop is silly. Do it in the alley behind their building! It's free!

Mr. Grey said:
The good thing is you turned them down... the bad thing is if they put ketchup in there and automatically charged you. Which they'll plan to do next, I'm sure.

And yes, that's stupid, I can't believe how stupid that is. I have no idea if this is going along with that initiative to start taxing soda or what... I doubt it and it may just be McDonald's trying to earn more money and fleece customers further. That's probably the truth of it and I don't think there's going to be any stopping of it unless you raise the red flag immediately.
Oh, believe you me, I checked. Had there been a charge for ketchup already in the bag, I would have gone back in, tossed the whole kaboodle over the counter and said, quite loudly, "FUCK OFF."

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I still dont know why would anyone want to eat at such places in first places... in most cases the half-korean half-turkish guy at the other side of street serves better food.
Support indie food devs! *nod*

Devi Darkside

Sep 3, 2009
Hmm, sounds like they're doing the same thing they do at places like Dick's in Seattle so for me it's not really a surprise and it doesn't really bother me. They could do worse things.

Nylis

May 5, 2010
soilent said:
Timboslice said:
That's not really fair to the employees that work there. They only make minimum wage, they're not the greedy ones, and they probably hate McDonalds just as much as the next guy, if not more.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
McDonald's... the punching bag of the world. This joke got old a decade ago.

It seems like an odd move on McDonald's part but its entirely possible that they are trying to discourage ketchup use especially if people have been abusing the use of Ketchup. It costs them to stock that stuff you know. By the way, where in the world are you?

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Twilight_guy said:
McDonald's... the punching bag of the world. This joke got old a decade ago.

It seems like an odd move on McDonald's part but its entirely possible that they are trying to discourage ketchup use especially if people have been abusing the use of Ketchup. It costs them to stock that stuff you know. By the way, where in the world are you?
Oh, yeah, this is in the American South (braces for 'lolz, redneck' impact). To quote my dad, a true redneck, "Them greedy basterts'll be chargin' fer tha oxgen inside tha store soon 'nuff."

At this point, I told him he may be closer to the truth than I'd like.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'd blame the individual franchisee for that one. At my local McDonald's franchises, the ketchup is free, but Chicken McNugget sauces are limited--you get 1 with a 6-pc, 2 with a 10, and 3 with a 20. Additional sauces cost 11 cents.

Contrast a McDonald's I used to frequent somewhere in western Rhode Island (not sure exactly what municipality it was in, but it was off I-95) that put nugget sauce in the dispensers like ketchup and let you dispense your own.

Which is awesome, because there's never a bad time for Sweet and Sour sauce. On McNuggets, on fries, dipping a McDouble into it...mmm.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
SimuLord said:
I'd blame the individual franchisee for that one. At my local McDonald's franchises, the ketchup is free, but Chicken McNugget sauces are limited--you get 1 with a 6-pc, 2 with a 10, and 3 with a 20. Additional sauces cost 11 cents.

Contrast a McDonald's I used to frequent somewhere in western Rhode Island (not sure exactly what municipality it was in, but it was off I-95) that put nugget sauce in the dispensers like ketchup and let you dispense your own.

Which is awesome, because there's never a bad time for Sweet and Sour sauce. On McNuggets, on fries, dipping a McDouble into it...mmm.
I'm the same way about the BBQ sauce. That shit is like ambrosia. I dip almost anything from the menu in there.

On a related note, oddly enough, British McD's BBQ sauce tastes like... beer... or some kinda hops or something. It's odd. not bad, but odd.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
soilent said:
Timboslice said:
Eating that would be about as tasty as the food at McDonald's.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
The mcdonalds I go to will give you the ketchup for free if you just ask for it after you've already paid for your meal.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
All the McDonalds where I live(New York City) have free ketchup, but any McDonald I have ever visited in Poland has a price for ketchup. I assume its a regional thing.