PC Battlefield 3 Lacks Key FPS Feature

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
They advertize this as a PC game, and then they take away server browser, mod tools, Steam and god knows what else. Brilliant!

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
gussy1z said:
The game looks great but everything to do with the game has been a disaster.
The game isn't even out, how do you know its a disaster? Web browser or some other external method of finding servers isn't exactly a new idea. If the game is built around it I see no reason why it can't work just fine.

It could very well be that it winds up working great and other games copy the idea. I can think of nothing that makes me more upset than games that don't alt-tab well. And it seems to me that usually certain games alt-tab poorly, not certain computers.

I used to play Rogue spear with a setup like this, MSN gaming zone IIRC. You clicked a button on a webpage, the game launched and connected, worked well. Technology has come a long way since ~2000 so it would probably work better now than I remember it back then.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
...and EA thinks they're going to turn this game into the next Modern Warfare? Seriously? They just shot themselves in the foot... again!

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
Three words: What. The. Fuck.

Actually makes me glad I'm buying it for Xbox. No 64 player multi but at least I don't have to leave the game to find a server to play in. Games like Terraria and Minecraft I can put up with it since they usually don't take too long to start up.

gussy1z

Aug 8, 2008
MartialArc said:
gussy1z said:
The game looks great but everything to do with the game has been a disaster.
The game isn't even out, how do you know its a disaster? Web browser or some other external method of finding servers isn't exactly a new idea. If the game is built around it I see no reason why it can't work just fine.

It could very well be that it winds up working great and other games copy the idea. I can think of nothing that makes me more upset than games that don't alt-tab well. And it seems to me that usually certain games alt-tab poorly, not certain computers.

I used to play Rogue spear with a setup like this, MSN gaming zone IIRC. You clicked a button on a webpage, the game launched and connected, worked well. Technology has come a long way since ~2000 so it would probably work better now than I remember it back then.
I played that game too and I personally hated that service. Lots of people don't like they way they are handling the pre-order DLC stuff (myself included). Im also not too happy about having to install and sign up to origin. As well as the game being priced ~ £10 more than most games do. I was being over-dramatic earlier but there are a lot of things i don't like about this.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Ok, why don't they want to sell it on the PC?

Are they looking for an excuse to stop making PC versions of their games? Because they are sure setting themselves up for that.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
First off, I'm not believing this until I see it, more so due to the facts BFBC2 and every previous BF game has a functional server browser and there's no need to abandon it, particularly as it's already implemented for consoles. It wouldn't be the first time Escapist bolloxed up and misinterpreted something (or copy pasted someone else's article that did), particularly Twitter feeds, heck I've seen it at least 2-3 times in the last week alone.

Second, Counter Strike, TF2 and pretty much any of Valve's games are best used by locating the server IP via your internet browser and then copy/pasting it for a direct connection. Their servers are quite prone to fucking up for certain countries, so even if such a poor, stupid and unnecessarily backwards-stepping system compared to their previous titles were to be implemented, it wouldn't really be that new.

But again. Not believing this for a second until I see the game launch with it. Even if it's not there now (which again, I still ain't buying until I see it or at least see it explained in a coherent post rather than a 156-character limited text system incapable of conveying sarcasm and similar things), the game's in alpha, the bazillion testers will stir enough crap about it to change it before launch.

Ivan Torres

Sep 27, 2010
lacktheknack said:
ChickenZombie said:
lacktheknack said:
Ivan Torres said:
Mr.K. said:
Couch Radish said:
What's wrong with a Facebook-esque way to check stats and join games? Really, what's wrong?

Isn't saying you're going to cancel a pre-order a little hasty, by something you haven't even seen or used?

It's a cleaner and simpler way to do that. It's just that.

And they have to have a server browser on the consoles because viewing a Webpage and even using it is a damn nightmare. I owned a PS3 once.
Wow do people have low standards.

OK let me explain what in development circles a web page UI translates to "laziest bodge job known to man", only seen in the shittiest of indie games, a triple A title with that... there was none before this.
>More efficient UI = being lazy

Your logic baffles me.
Alt-Tab is the direct opposite of efficient. Besides, it suffers EXACTLY the same issues as "Always-On DRM". You know, the most reviled thing that developers have done, ever.
You dont have to Alt-Tab out. You hit exit game and it takes you directly to your browser, which has the server browser on it. I'ts really quick, easy to use, and makes sense. ive used it, and it works a hell of a lot better than a lot of other browsers I have used.
And yet, it's still as bad as Always On DRM.
You do realize you have to be online in order to play online right? So Always On DRM isn't a problem if it only affects the ONLINE component.

ImprovizoR said:
They advertize this as a PC game, and then they take away server browser, mod tools, Steam and god knows what else. Brilliant!
Not counting the server browser, since supposedly it's being replaced by a better UI, all of those are simply luxuries that us PC Gamers take for granted. Steam and mods aren't what makes a PC game, being on PC is what makes a PC Game. Besides, they'll find a way to mod it, THEY ALWAYS DO.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ivan Torres said:
lacktheknack said:
ChickenZombie said:
lacktheknack said:
Ivan Torres said:
Mr.K. said:
Couch Radish said:
What's wrong with a Facebook-esque way to check stats and join games? Really, what's wrong?

Isn't saying you're going to cancel a pre-order a little hasty, by something you haven't even seen or used?

And they have to have a server browser on the consoles because viewing a Webpage and even using it is a damn nightmare. I owned a PS3 once.

OK let me explain what in development circles a web page UI translates to "laziest bodge job known to man", only seen in the shittiest of indie games, a triple A title with that... there was none before this.

Your logic baffles me.
Alt-Tab is the direct opposite of efficient. Besides, it suffers EXACTLY the same issues as "Always-On DRM". You know, the most reviled thing that developers have done, ever.
You dont have to Alt-Tab out. You hit exit game and it takes you directly to your browser, which has the server browser on it. I'ts really quick, easy to use, and makes sense. ive used it, and it works a hell of a lot better than a lot of other browsers I have used.
You do realize you have to be online in order to play online right? So Always On DRM isn't a problem if it only affects the ONLINE component.
Everyone's telling me that my main menu is a webpage.

You access single-player from the main menu.

Hence, just as bad as Always On.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Everyone's telling me that my main menu is a webpage.

You access single-player from the main menu.

Hence, just as bad as Always On.
That's the way I see it alright, since you can't play Single Player unless you have a net connection to reach the website/webpage.

It's basically Always-On DRM.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
I hope that we can just alt-tab out of BF3 and use the server browser...

Navenis said:
In the alpha the battle log system worked great and is actually much better than the rather awful
bfbc2 in game browser.

Edit: game really does start up fast like 5 seconds less time than the bfbc2 broswer spent time wasting when you tried to join a server.
I have to agree, the BC2 browser and friends list stuff was so god aweful. This new one at least stands a chance of working now.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
EA thumbs its nose at the PC
Was this new news to anyone here, lets have a show of hands....

No-one?

We've all seen this before then?

Not a surprise really....

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
I'm a big fan of dedicated servers.

... and this move makes me give EA the thumbs-up. Whereas dedicated servers are essential, boy howdy are most ingame server browsers god awful.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Ivan Torres said:
lacktheknack said:
ChickenZombie said:
lacktheknack said:
Ivan Torres said:
Mr.K. said:
Couch Radish said:

Your logic baffles me.

ImprovizoR said:
Not counting the server browser, since supposedly it's being replaced by a better UI, all of those are simply luxuries that us PC Gamers take for granted. Steam and mods aren't what makes a PC game, being on PC is what makes a PC Game. Besides, they'll find a way to mod it, THEY ALWAYS DO.
I was actually trying to act all elitist and whatnot. I don't care about the server browser. I played the alpha and the game does start up fast. Faster than it took BC2 to load a map anyway. So I don't really care about this. I will just open a browser, log in and browse for servers. I don't think I'll play on more than one server in one session anyway. I never did that before in Battlefield. And they can always patch the server browser in later if enough players really want it.

DownWind

Sep 26, 2010
The article looks slightly sensationalist. I can understand the doubt from those who haven't played the alpha.

I had played the alpha, and at first I was also confused as to why there wasn't an actual game menu. I didn't like the fact that I had to use my browser to launch the game. It just felt very weird. However, when I looked up a server and launched the game, it took only a few moments and the game was fired up and loading. Honestly, it's even quicker than BF2/142 and BFBC2. The only concerns remaining was that I had to find an empty server to change options (and well, quite frankly, controls couldn't be changed in the alpha) and that my browser was still running.

Battlelog isn't as bad as it first seems. It's much faster than I had expected, in conjunction with BF3's quick startup/loading. However, the lack of game settings outside the game and Battelog's browser window not being closed were some minor concerns of mine.

But hey! Alpha Battlelog turned out much better than the final version of IWNet...

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
What the hell is the point of that? Is that some kinda of absolutely idiotic DRM? It makes no sense to remove something that functions well from PC's version. Is there some kinda of plan for us to see some ad banners that are planted on the site every time we want to change the server?

I am not going to buy this game unless they change this system.

And fast startup is better be under 5seconds otherwise it is a bad system. And it better support alt-tabbing without having to wait 5minutes for the damn game to re-render itself.
Just add a damn in game menu -.-

And it better support every browser, not just IE and firefox, I am not going to give up my 8 years run with Opera to play a damn game and it better not require another program on-top of it also.