PC Battlefield 3 Lacks Key FPS Feature

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I also can't help but think that "I'm gonna boycott this PC version and get it on console!" is *exactly* what they want to do. Especially pulling this crap after making empty announcements like "primarily developed for PC" and other bullshit. Origin requirements and browser-based server search is NOT for PC development primarily, I don't care HOW you phrase it. If you're going to inconvenience the PC players, why not just say it's for consoles? Or just don't release a PC version, instead of pulling this nonsense? I have a console, but I'm still not getting this.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Vigormortis said:
scott91575 said:
I have answers for all 3.

1) Alt tab can get you out. 1: You can also get out of the game by hitting ESC and then clicking quit. Just like any normal game. You don't have to Alt-Tab. It's just quicker.
2) 2: If you have an issue with single player, that is an entirely different issue and not the lack of in game server browsing. I am not even sure that has been confirmed. I have not seen anything official that say you need to launch single player from a website.
3) 3: LAN play is not even available on many games, and once again, has nothing to do with the main issue...no in game server browsing. As for losing connection, umm, an in game browser does not fix that. You still need to be connected. Connected to their server in game vs. a web browser does not resolve that. 4: As for a known server IP, the same capability is there. I have no idea where you are getting that. It's just in a browser.

5: It's not lazy. It's actually kind of cool. When I first used it I thought "this is weird." Yet I quickly got used to it and it was not different than a normal game other than the fact during the load screen it's minimized (you can watch it if you want though). Once you are in it pops up to the main screen. So actually you can chat with people while waiting for the load screen if you wanted. I would bet it's also better to have a browser in a web based environment instead of creating a unique one in game.

How can I defend it? 6: It's faster. Time how fast you can open BFBC2 and get to a load screen for a multiplayer match. Now time how quick you can go to a bookmark on your browser. On top of that, internet browsing is something that continually evolves with new stuff not designed by EA. The in game stuff is all EA. This has the liklihood of being more reliable and having more features.

Like I asked, have you used it? I have. It's not much different than an in game server browser except the fact you need to have an internet browser open. BTW...the search was much faster, but I will chalk that up to the low amount of players in alpha vs. a launched title.
Bolded the points I wanted to address.

1: Again, I fail to see how you can defend that? There is no reason at all that the players are forced to close the damn game just to join another server. It's 2011. I'm fairly certain advanced user interfaces are the norm by now so NOT having one is stupid as hell.

2: Considering it's becoming more and more apparent that this Battlelog site is operating as the games main menu (and not just a server browser), it stands to reason that should the site be unavailable, you lose your "main menu".

3: Actually, many games still have LAN play. Moreso than don't. It's only recently that a lot of high-profile titles have been removing the option to allow for greater DRM control. (i.e. Starcraft 2)

4: Again, I reiterate, if the site is down how can you connect to anything? Even if you have the IP as I stated earlier, if the site you have to load the game from is inaccessible, how can you use it to direct-connect to an IP?

5: No. It actually is quite lazy. Not that they're using a 3rd party provider for their server browser functions, but that they're forcing you to use it outside the game. Answer me this. Why can't they just integrate the Battlelog service into the game so that you can access the browser site through the (non-existent) main menu? Seems to me it wouldn't be that hard and would remove the need to load the same server browser from a separate application. (as in, a web browser) Seems pretty lazy to not even try this method.
Oh, and "chat with other people while it loads"? Really? Have you missed out on the past 10 years of PC gaming? We've been able to do that for years. I did just that last night while loading a game of Left 4 Dead 2. All without the need of opening a web browser to join a game.

6: This isn't exactly selling me on your assertions. You say it's great because it's faster than the really crappy browser/menu interface Bad Company 2 had. That's akin to saying, "This turd is better than this turd because it has sparkles on it." Just because it's faster than an in-game browser that was really, really slow and terrible doesn't mean it's automatically good or better than the other options we have available to us in other games.
And, while you're right browsers "evolve" over time, that doesn't mean much as the actual match-making is still handled by EA. So regardless of the site allowing you to browse servers and matches, it still relies on EA providing the logistics of the match-making and server info/updates. So this does not lend itself to being more "reliable". In fact, it could be far from it as anything new added to the game or site has to make sure it's compatible with both the game and site. Meaning update intervals could double.

I have no issue with DICE and EA using the Battlelog site for matchmaking purposes. A lot of game companies use 3rd party services for some features. I do have issue with them basically "tacking it on" and not even attempting to integrate it into the game. It's lazy and unnecessary.
I will ask once again....have you used this? Of course the answer is no, I just like the fact you continue to make assumptions while I in fact have used it. Exiting the game and re entering was not any slower then using an in game browser.

How about this, wait to use it and then actually comment on it instead of making assumption after assumption. You will have your chance soon. If you don't like it, don't buy the game.

ALYKZANDYR

May 9, 2011
I think that sums it up well. If i was dice, i wouldnt have EA publish any more of my games ever..

Battlefield 4, PC lead, made by dice, published by Valve, available on steam. one can only dream.

Sanguich

Aug 31, 2009
I used to play Age of Empires on Microsoft's 'Zone' website. It was incredibly annoying. Quit game, launch browser, pick game, load up, host quits, close game, repeat. That was 9 years ago, and I can't think of a browser-based game I've played sense.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with bad/lazy programming. EA is just being EA. This is just an extension of the Steam/Origin bs. I'm really not that surprised. EA just can't stand not having direct control of every aspect of the game.

Anyone remember back when Xbox Live first got started? They dragged their heels for over a year before doing anything to try to work with Microsoft's vastly superior online system. And even today, all their games have SOME online aspect that requires you to tunnel through to their own server, while every other game in the world is fine with just the MS servers.

It still hurts my brain when I can play hundreds of xLive games with no set-up, and EA games make me signup/login to their specific service.

They like to tell us that this control allows them to make sure we have a better/more uniform experience, but to date every last one of these things has been at LEAST less efficient or worse, f'n broken.

The sad thing is, this probably won't hurt EA that much. Even if PC sales are low because of their short-sighted decisions, I'll bet they just claim it's because PC games are dying out anyway. In so doing, they are making their own self-fulfilling prophecy.

Sucks to be a PC gamer these days.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
scott91575 said:
I will ask once again....have you used this? Of course the answer is no, I just like the fact you continue to make assumptions while I in fact have used it. Exiting the game and re entering was not any slower then using an in game browser.

How about this, wait to use it and then actually comment on it instead of making assumption after assumption. You will have your chance soon. If you don't like it, don't buy the game.
Funny how you arbitrarily assume I haven't used it and then expect me to take, solely on your word, that you have. The latter of which I find very hard to believe as, if you had, you'd know that you launch the game from the Battlelog site, regardless of mode. (I.E. there is no main menu for the game.)

http://www.1up.com/news/first-glimpse-battlefield-3-battlelog-system

Notice at the top the button for "Resume Campaign"? Yeah. You have to launch the single-player game from a website. That is beyond stupid. Somehow EA has managed to make an "Always On" DRM scheme even worse.

Having to close the game entirely and relaunch to join a new server isn't any slower than using an in-game browser? I almost laughed but then I realized one of two things. Either you're lying in defense of this game (as there is no way having to close and then reopen a game is not slower than just clicking on a server link in a browser), or you're playing on some God-sent machine that has a 20GHz, 20 core processor with terabytes of ram. (even then, still wouldn't be faster)

I would like to believe you. I really would. But considering the alpha had a very small number of players, yet seemingly thousands upon thousands of people on the web claim they've played it, it becomes hard to believe anyone who defends it on the basis they've experienced it.

[edit] On a side note, I love how some of these people are saying they're glad EA is doing it this way as "most" in-game server browsers are bad. As if, they assume, a server browser being on a website will somehow "magically" make it better. More likely, it'll be the exact same as any other browser, same pros and cons and same instability, but with the added annoyance of having to access it solely trough a web browser.

It could be better, but this is EA we're talking about. Somehow....I just don't see it happening.

Ivan Torres said:
Plus, no one has proof that the singleplayer will have to be accessed through Battlelog.
See link above.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Fluffles said:
You can now alt-tab to reach it.
Also: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-3/poll-29774-what-your-opinion-using-battlelog-server-browser-bf3.html

CLEARLY THERE IS NO ISSUE HERE.
So wait. It's not an issue because an EA hosted poll, who's results were graphed by EA, about the quality and acceptance of an EA service/product, says that less than two thirds of those involved liked it, while the rest didn't or were indifferent?

:|

Um...yeah.

beef623

Jun 7, 2010
major_chaos said:
What I have never understood is way people like server browsers of any kind when it is soooo much easier to just hit "find game" in the console version than spend five minutes looking for a server that looks promising only to find that it lags horribly/is full of A-holes .ect and have to go back to looking.
OT: this is incredibly stupid, trying to move a game's important features to a freaking website that you need to alt-tab out to is just moronic. if this trend of everything being announced about BF3 being bad keeps up then its never going to outsell MW3 which is a shame
If you're using a server browser and find a game that's laggy/full of a-holes, you can choose a different one. If you're hitting "find game" and it decides to keep putting you back in the same laggy a-holey game you just have to deal with it. There are several other advantages, but that's a big one.

Jul 9, 2008
I wasn't planning to buy this game, and I'm not so into the competitive FPS scene anymore, but one thing bothers me. All these Alpha players are saying that it's fast and works great. That's wonderful, but how many people are in the Alpha? How many more will there be when the game gets to Beta, let alone release? Think that website will still be as fast when thousands of people are trying to access it at once? Seems to me that it would lead to an unintentional DDOS.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
EA: "Your port to the PS3 should be finalised within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the PC crowd."

DICE: "I take it they were agreeable?"

EA: "They didn't really have a choice."

DICE: "Has their version been gimped at all?"

EA: "Oh, yes, most certainly."

DICE: *facepalm*

EA: "When we mentioned that they wouldn't have dedicated servers or mods and had to use Origin, they were so outraged it was almost pathetic."

DICE: "This game...the rioting is intensifying to the point where we might not be able to contain it."

EA: "Why contain it? Let it spread into the 360 and the PS3. Let the boycott threads pile up on the Internet. In the end, they'll still beg us to take their money."

DICE: *facepalm* "I've received reports of armed attacks on game stores putting this in front of Modern Warfare 3 on their pre-order banners. There's not enough space to go around, and the PC-only gamers are starting to get desperate."

EA: "Of course they're desperate. They can smell that their version will be worse, and the sound they'll make raging at all the cool stuff we added will serve as a warning to the rest."

DICE: "I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The PC players might not go as quietly as you think: intelligence indicates they're behind the problems in the game stores."

EA: "A bunch of pretentious 12-year-olds playing at running the market. But the market left them behind long ago. Consoles are the future."

DICE: *facepalm* "We have other problems."

EA: "Infinity Ward?"

DICE: "Reformed by executive order after Activision realised they needed them back. Their game comes out a month later than ours, though. I'm more worried about Valve. They've made Team Fortress 2 free-to-play."

EA: "Our game development division is far in advance of theirs, as are our marketing plans. And their...ethical inflexibility has allowed us to make sales-boosting controversies in ways they refuse to consider."

DICE: "Making teenagers want an M-rated game?" *facepalm*

EA: "Among other things, but I must admit I was somewhat disappointed in the performance of Medal of Honour."

DICE: "Battlefield 3 should come out soon. It's currently undergoing marketing," from your incompetent asses, "and will be operational within two months. Our people will report on its progress. If necessary, you could shut down the servers for MoH."

EA: "We've had to endure much, EA, but soon there will be order again. A new age. Aquinas spoke of the mythical forum where all console players live together in harmony, and we will be crowned its kings. Or better than kings...gods!

DICE: *facepalm*

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
dogstile said:
Brilliant. As I said before on other forums, every trailer makes me want it, every announcement makes me want to castrate the people who thought whatever the hell they've announced was a good idea.
Exactly, I've never felt this polorized about a game in recent memory...

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Alright, that's it. Even though I rarely play shooters, I will buy MW3 just to show my disgust at EA's marketing strategy.

VW³:
Voting with wallet works.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Both Ace of Spades (Indie Voxel based Shooter) and League of Legends have a separate game browser from the actual 'game play.' AoS is a web site with links that launch the game, League is a custom Adobe Air based app that does essentially the same thing. While this sounds stupid in concept with the idea that the game starts up and shows its intro videos and all that crap. I very much doubt this is the case. I'm thinking more like League's system wherein the browser determines the game type and the game 'starting' is merely loading the correct map/server.

3LANCER

Sep 11, 2008
Why can't all FPS (and therefor - multiplayer) games have an in-game browser like in good ol' CS - press escape during a match, browse servers, get into queue for you favourite server while you're in a casual deathmatch game...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I honestly think we're all missing the real purpose of this move. Stupid design decisions, personal preferences, ease of use, awkward interfaces, all of that aside, the real issue here is EA tricking us all.

In truth, this Battlelog thing is nothing more than a cleverly hidden "Always On" DRM scheme. One so well disguised most of us don't even realize what it is and some are even defending it. I can guarantee if many of those defending Battlelog realized what it really is, and viewed it in the same way they'd view the whole Diablo 3 debacle or Ubisofts fortes into "Always On", they'd be less than enthusiastic about defending it.

So, well played EA. I have to give your PR team credit. The combination of your smear campaign against Steam, your promoting of Origin, and misdirection on what Battlelog is have most of us in the gaming community arguing with each other over meaningless topics. When, in fact, we should be banding together against your, and every other companies, "Always On" DRM schemes.

Think about it people. How many of you hate having to deal with the "Always On" DRM in your games? Now think about how, with Battlefield 3, you're essentially going to have to deal with TWO forms of it. Battlelog and Origin. Still think Battlelog is a good alternative to an in-game menu and browser?

FourEyedGamer

Mar 11, 2011
What the fuck, EA. WHAT. THE. FUCK. You are making the same mistake as Blizzard. Battlefield will not be recognized by frat boys everywhere just because they can play more than his PC gaming nerd roommate. I don't even understand favorizing PS3 over XBOX, feeding the console war trolls. But now, turning your back little by little to your true fans, you will be alone. The sick graphics will not even compare to the insubstantial gameplay, because it will ruin the whole experience. Unless you stand up on your campaign, MW wins again...