PC/Console gaming segregation

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Skeleon said:
Thr33X said:
That's a common mechanism there that PC Gamers use to defend other PC Gamers, the same way a console fanboy's gonna defend his ilk. When it's said 90% of the time I've seen it, it's not followed by the atypical LOLs or J/Ks to imply it's a joke.
Oh noes, they didn't clearly state they were joking when they referred to themselves as "the master race". Well, then I'm sure there was no sarcasm involved whatsoever of course!

Anyway, regarding the fps-debate: Depends a lot on the game. FPS in particular require high fps (confusing with the acronyms, eh) for precision gaming. 30 fps is too low there. Try playing a game like Painkiller with low fps. Awful. It's less of an issue with FPS on consoles because the controller-based gameplay is already a lot more floaty. Some platformers have issues with low fps, too, like Super Meatboy. Certainly not a game that is heralded for its high-def graphical brilliance, but fps actually has gameplay-implications there. In fact, fps is much more important to a lot of gamers than graphics. Who cares whether the textures are slightly more detailed if the flow of the game suffers? So, reducing your graphical settings to fulfill the "snooty" desire for high fps is quite common among PC gamers who don't have the newest hardware.
I run Borderlands 2 on lowest settings in windowed mode using a 'gamebooster' program to squeeze a playable frame rate out of my laptop. It looks ugly as fuck, especially compared to running it at max spec on my desktop, but I'd rather take the massive graphical quality drop to achieve a frame rate at which I can actually hit things. For those wondering why I bother to use my laptop at all, the answer is LAN co-op is much more fun than co-op over Skype.

You can't punch someone through Skype for stealing the epic sniper that you need. You can punch them when they're sitting ~3 feet away.

Hoplon said:
Wait doesn't everyone get GSB? (general steam bullshit) Fuckin' steam, I like it a lot but some days it's just asking for a punch in the balls.
I didn't have a problem with Steam until a few days ago when I found out you can't install games, from the disc, offline. Also, the inability to save more than one account for offline use is really annoying when your mate forgets to pay his internet bills.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I go where quality makes most sense, i was a PC gamer who had a PS2 for awesome stuff like Metal Gear, DMC, Tekken, then i primarily used 360 because every PC port was bad, PC starts to pick itself up again thanks to Valve breathing life back into the market so i build a new PC.

Now we see more and more games with questionable performance issues on current consoles just like the end of last generation, so i get those games for PC because the ports are generally good these days.
I'm a huge fighting game fan so i can't move on from 360 otherwise i can't play those games, i pick them up for PC whenever i can so i'll always have access to them and my PC should be good for next gen releases aswell like Watch Dogs, at least to start with.

Now i just have to wait and see about a PC version of MGS5, or pick up a PS4 for that, but i don't have a place to plug the PS4 in because i still need to play Tekken Tag 2.

I plan to wait, hope everybody releases PC versions until the prices come down on consoles, i'm not paying hundreds of £'s for a Kinect i don't want.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Consoles or PCs, who really gives a rat's ass? BOTH are going to give you carpal tunnel syndrome, headaches, general muscle pain, and severe eye strain faster than normal anyway depending on how often you play, so why wave pitchforks around? You won't be able to grasp them tightly in due time no matter if you fiddle around with a keyboard and mouse or a controller.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
My main beef with PC elitists is that they always have to find some way, shape or from to shove their console specs in other people's faces to make them feel superior about their gaming experiences.

For instance, "Sony PS4 will feature GDRR5 RAM" or whatever and some dude with nothing better to do with their fucking time comes on the thread saying-

"lol that's it! I can build a PC rig for half that money [insert list of specs that are beyond my understanding here that proves that the PC is far more powerful than poor loser peasant console] it's so fucking annoying and honestly is probably going to end up ostracizing people in the end.
Even moderate PC gamers don't like to really associate themselves as "PC gamers" because then they may get labelled as one of those elitists.

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
SonofSpermcube said:
MHR said:
See everyone agrees it's silly, but this can all be avoided if we just agree that the superior platform format, PCs, are superior.

The rest of this noise is just silly indulgence.
It is, but not because of anything inherent to it; it's because of the companies mismanaging the consoles. Apart from defect rates it's all about the content (unacceptably buggy, predominantly terrible) and service (uniformly terrible). I'm sure the Xboxes and Playstations would be great if it weren't for Microsoft and Sony.
Everybody has different needs when it comes to a gaming platform, and consoles and PC each have their own stengths.

That said, I would consider the console to be inherently less powerful than the higher end PC's. Though the term "PC" gives no actual specification of power.

Perhaps it can be said that PC's are inherently potentially superior than consoles, or that consoles are inherently inferioror to the potential of PC's. The term "PC" is so broad, it essentially refers to "potential" in these debates.

SonofSpermcube

Aug 10, 2013
Monster_user said:
SonofSpermcube said:
Everybody has different needs when it comes to a gaming platform, and consoles and PC each have their own stengths.

That said, I would consider the console to be inherently less powerful than the higher end PC's. Though the term "PC" gives no actual specification of power.

Perhaps it can be said that PC's are inherently potentially superior than consoles, or that consoles are inherently inferior to the potential of PC's. The term "PC" is so broad, it essentially refers to "potential" in these debates.
A PC to equal the PS2 when it came out would have cost more than a PS2.

A PC to equal the PS3 when it came out could have been built for less than the price of a PS3.

Traditionally console games were free of game-killing bugs, or nearly-so (and the only one I can think of off the top of my head, FF6, had the potential to be awesome at the same time). They aren't anymore. They were lower-hassle to get the game going when everything did work right. They aren't anymore (at least MS and Sony consoles aren't). Consoles have thrown away their advantages and embraced the disadvantages of the PC. Nintendo's success can probably be ascribed to not jumping on that idiotic bandwagon.

The craziest thing in the whole PC/Console marketplace is that Microsoft jumped into consoles, and simultaneously let another company own Windows gaming.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Well as least with the new consoles coming out PC gaming will not have the stupid ram restrictions on it from the porting of games. Would have been nice if Skyrim could have been made bigger.

Really think PC gaming is going to hit a new golden age while the consoles are going to lag back from predicted sales.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Thoralata said:
That whole "Locked at 30FPS? Not buying!" mentality is the epitome of whining. "Semi Decent" would be 15FPS, and 30 being optimal. 60 Frames per second is the maximum possible framerate a game could possibly achieve. I'm a PC Gamer myself, but one thing that bothers me above all are the PC Gamers who percieve "Maximum" to mean "Bare Minimum standard".
Umm... Wat?
That makes no sense.
FOr one, 15 FPS is borderline unplayable. In a lot of games it is unplayable, especially online in any form of a competitive match, and even non-competitive at times.
30FPS is semi-decent. Playable, but still with stuttering issues and such.
60FPS is decent, and the FPS that all games should play on. 30 is the minimum, 60 is the recommended. It is NOT the max. Hence why I can get 300FPS on Minecraft, and display 120FPS thanks to a 120Hz refresh rate on my screen. Yeah, not all of those FPS influence the looks or feel of the game at all, but up to about 70 will influence the look, and 90 the feel of a game. Hell, if you're playing things like Dwarf Fortress, anything under 100FPS is easily visible as a degraded smoothness of both visuals and gameplay, and hitting 30FPS is where the game becomes almost unplayable as it literally plays at 1/3rd speed. Instead of taking 10 seconds to get to and dig out that rock wall, it becomes 30, and then another 120 to drag the rock to a stockpile.

but tiny, meaningless shit like Anti-Aliasing, Ansiotropic filtering, framerates below 60, and a thousand other "Wah! My game isn't superior to everything else to justify wasting $400 on my graphics card!" complaints from the crybabies among PC Gaming.
Way to be mature about things...
Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic filtering and framerates can all significantly affect the look, and at times feel, of a game. Simply because you don't care doesn't make everyone who does a crybaby. Get off your high horse, and realise that not everybody is you, and opinions exist for a reason. Some people enjoy having games that look good, some don't really care. Neither is inherently better or worse, or a 'crybaby'.

Honestly, I swear I see more insults directed towards PC players on this site than towards consoles. Which is kinda amusing seeing as several of console players like to play the victim around here, then insult PC players for their preferences. Thankfully there are reasonable people too, who will note that something is simply their opinion without the need to insult others.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Thoralata said:
That whole "Locked at 30FPS? Not buying!" mentality is the epitome of whining. "Semi Decent" would be 15FPS, and 30 being optimal. 60 Frames per second is the maximum possible framerate a game could possibly achieve.
I get 200+ FPS in some games so I don't know what you're on about. On top of that, people with 120Hz+ monitors can actually see extra frames.

Thoralata said:
tiny, meaningless shit like Anti-Aliasing, Ansiotropic filtering, framerates below 60.......
Maybe not so much AF but AA makes a huge difference, even on a low setting. Most PC gamers tend to agree.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
TelHybrid said:
"Which platform are you getting? PS4 or Xbone?"

"Oh I'm just building a new PC"

"GTFO!!! THIS IS A CONSOLE THREAD!!!"
I mean... that's reasonable.

That's like answering "pork" when someone asks "do you want chicken or beef?" I don't care if you prefer pork to chicken or beef; I wasn't asking if you wanted pork.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I don't see the point in arguing which is better, everyone has their own preference, some will buy all of them. I'll just stick with my current 4 year old PC until it can't run games anymore. Then i will buy a new one and stick with it, because it provides me with more games than i have the time to play and the freedom to do whatever i want with it. I don't see myself as an elitist because i prefer the PC, actually i'm envious of people who can afford to buy several consoles and even have the spare time to play all of them.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
What is this heresy I have read regarding the peasantry obtaining PC's in addition to their inferior console hardware?

Mudblood filth.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Thoralata said:
MercurySteam said:
Thoralata said:
That whole "Locked at 30FPS? Not buying!" mentality is the epitome of whining. "Semi Decent" would be 15FPS, and 30 being optimal. 60 Frames per second is the maximum possible framerate a game could possibly achieve.
I get 200+ FPS in some games so I don't know what you're on about. On top of that, people with 120Hz+ monitors can actually see extra frames.

Thoralata said:
tiny, meaningless shit like Anti-Aliasing, Ansiotropic filtering, framerates below 60.......
Maybe not so much AF but AA makes a huge difference, even on a low setting. Most PC gamers tend to agree.
That's only if graphical fidelity actually matters to you. I've turned it on and off rapidly and never seen a difference in how the game looks.
Well of course you didn't notice anythin because apparently your eye sight is so bad you think 15 fps is semi-decent when to even a pure console player who almost always gets locked at 30 fps, they'd realize that 15 fps is completely unplayable. You might as well be watchin a slideshow at 15 fps.

shatnuh

Feb 19, 2013
Thr33X said:
TheKasp said:
shrekfan246 said:
refuse to buy a 2D platformer because it potentially runs at 30 FPS instead of 60.
Sorry what? What does that have to do with elitism? I have standards to which games have to adjust or I won't buy them. I can see the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, it is clear as night and day for me. I gamed my entire life on 60 FPS and if a game dev can't be bothered to optimise a game to a semi decent standard then I won't support it (there are a few exception to this rule). Same goes to Field of View (hey, I get physical sideffects from low FoV).

I won't buy a book if the print is unreadable, why should I shell out money for a game that is just unpleasant to play? Explain to me what this has to do with elitism.
As I type this, I'm still unsure as to whether or not what I just read was real. To answer your question, you're basically saying "I want it done my way or I don't want it all". Your self-imposed standards are the only driving point to you, otherwise you deem a game unpleasant or unplayable for the most minuscule of reasons. I wouldn't call that elitist, but it sure is pretty snobbish if you ask me.
...Wow. It's called "Preference." As a consumer with money to spend, I decide whether or not I'll enjoy a game by looking for certain functions or features that one has to offer. All Thr33X has done to this point has engaged in some defensive name calling. Why should you care enough about one's spending habits to call them snooty? Do you work for Microsoft or Sony? Do you have stock in either company? If not, what right do you have to call someone snooty because they prefer something over something else? That's like calling someone snooty because they prefer vanilla ice cream to chocolate ice cream. Those are independent variables.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Yes... we shall separate the PC gamers from the console ones, and then... EXTERMINATE THEM! WE SHALL EXTERMINATE THEM ALL!

<youtube=YQLbwOGT8eM>