pc elitists

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I'm so elitist I slapped my cousin when I heard he'd gotten a Wii for his birthday and had his parents brought to court for improper parenting. And that wasn't easy considering he lives in another country, took me two flights and a couple hours driving, but I got the job done.

Yup. Life's tough as a member of the PC gaming master race, but ya gotta do what'cha gotta do!

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
I'm a PC gamer (not a PC elitist- it IS possible not to be one), and I can confidently say that PC gaming is definitely not dead. As is the case with different consoles, the PC has its own strengths and weaknesses as a gaming platform.

Strengths:
- Mods. I can't say this enough. What do you do when the vanilla version of a game gets boring, but you don't like multiplayer? Mod your game up. Moddability is absolutely crucial to my decision to buy a game (most of the time), and some of the games I own have no less than two or three dozen Mods downloaded for them. Plus Mods can tweak away poor game design or bug issues (like STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and Oblivion).
- Input devices. There is still no finer tool for me, in FPS or RTS/TBS games, than a keyboard and mouse. Gamepads can be annoyingly imprecise, and you can only map so many functions to eight or ten buttons as opposed to a standard 101-key keyboard. Plus, for those games that play better with gamepads, there are dozens of different types to be had.
- Infinite upgradability. Expensive sometimes, sure, but there's few things so satisfying as locking in a brand-new video card, loading up your favorite game and watching what had been a slide show turn into a beautiful, smoothly-flowing panorama.

Weaknesses:
- Technical difficulties. While consoles may be somewhat limited in their applications, they are also a solid foundation for game coders- a known quantity upon which they can build their games. You will be hard-pressed to find any two gaming PCs which are identical or even vastly similar, and the consequence of all this complexity is a mishmash of drivers and technical limitations which can cause all sorts of problems.
- Cost. While you can theoretically build a decent gaming computer for around the price of a leading next-gen console, in order to future-proof yourself you're going to have to invest a bit more. A console is a one-and-done purchase (a handful of peripherals and add-ons aside); a computer is a complex and never-ending project.
- Time investment. At its least complex, buying a computer for gaming involves going to a superstore and getting a pre-made one, which leaves you with an operating system burdened by someone else's idea of "useful software" and requiring such things as firewalls, anti-malware programs and software updates to keep it running smooth and free of issues. The do-it-yourself route is usually cheaper but far more complex, with a small but very real chance of rendering your expensive equipment unusable through an innocent mistake. While I can assemble a computer within the space of an afternoon and have it ready for gaming by dinnertime, not everyone has my level of expertise or can put in that much time. For some it's simply not worth the effort.

The PC elitists will tell you that the PC is the only worthwhile gaming platform and that all consoles are nothing more than childrens' toys. They are full of crap and no more correct than the console fanboys screaming at each other. The PC is simply another valid avenue of entertainment, and I for one encourage further competition between it and the console world, as competition breeds improvement and therefore brings better efforts to all of us.

*sings "I'm a PC gamer and I feel fine...."*
wow you are right on the money.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
The Madman said:
I'm so elitist I slapped my cousin when I heard he'd gotten a Wii for his birthday and had his parents brought to court for improper parenting. And that wasn't easy considering he lives in another country, took me two flights and a couple hours driving, but I got the job done.

Yup. Life's tough as a member of the PC gaming master race, but ya gotta do what'cha gotta do!
hahaha! That was a good one.

Desaari

Feb 24, 2009
I think that there are a number of PC gamers who are annoyed with game developers producing games that are lower quality on the PC than they otherwise could be, due to the fact that they're produced for multiple platforms. Because consoles are more limited than PCs, said games tend to also be limited (i.e. by graphics, number of controls, game size, AI, difficulty etc.)
I've found myself frustrated with developers for this reason many times myself. Take Battlefield 1943 for example: regenerating health and unlimited ammo? No thanks.
It could be that some PC gamers then vent their frustration on the console gamers, because they percieve them to indirectly be at fault.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
What's all this about PC games being harder to code for?

Yes there is no hardware standard, but there are definitely software standards. What is Windows (And directX) if not a software standard?

Also, Blatant plug! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.67044#585908] I won't let my baby die, I won't!

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
im just noticed something

The line "You have to upgrade your PC for every new game that comes out" makes no sense. Unless the game was built from the ground up for the PC and its sole purpose is to blow the minds out of people for how graphically amazing it is, you don't need to upgrade your computer for "every game that comes out." Why? For the simple fact that developers dont make many games for the PC exclusively anymore. It's all built for the simple that the 360 and ps3 will be able to play it fine.

Almost all blockbuster hits are cross-platforms, with the PC being in there. With the 360 being the least technically advanced console there (besides Wii, im not talking about that), developers build a game that the 360 will be able to play smoothly, then port them to other systems (Of course I have no evidence to back that up, I'm just using common sense here, correct me if I'm wrong.)
With the 360s GPU in the Nvidia 7800 gen? or something like that, as long as you have a graphics card thats better then that, which in this case, PC's are like 3 gens ahead of the 360, you won't need to supposed upgrade for every new game.

Fallout 3 on 360 has a cap of 30fps.
Where as the 4850 and the GTX260 easily hit 60fps at 1900x1200. A much higher resolution then what the 360 can do.
Besides the 4850 on newegg costs around (cheapest) $110.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Ah, at this point I miss Eggo. For all his rampant elitism he was funny.

As for the topic; I have a PS2 and a PS3 and a somewhat new PC. I love playing on them all but if I had to choose just one I'd go with the PC no doubt.

Mods are extremely important for me. Need them to spice up or even fix games.
Freedom. I'm not locked in the same way as on the PS3. I hate that. It's ***** doing anything and I can't really change anything important.
Keyboard and mouse are better for most games.
Cheaper hardware as in I don't need to invest in a huge ass HD tv to be able to fucking read what the store on PSN tells me. When people keep ranting about the cost of PCs they tend to forget the need for a tv on consoles. Now my current tv is okay, but it's not great. I'd like a bigger with a HD option.
Better communities.
Indie scnene. Anyone play Ben there, Dan that? And speaking of adventure games: SCUMMVM.
And System Shock 2 is nice to play as well. As are Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. Oh, and Steam. And Deus Ex.
Also I can do my homework on the PC.

But I love my consoles! They are just inferior.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
I'm a PC player at heart but I've lately given into the "dark side" and started playing on consoles as well. Consoles are fun... but they are not as fun as PCs =/... The PC has more games that interests me (and the games feel more "advanced" somehow...), better controls for the genres I'm interested in (maybe it's just a matter of training, but a handcontrol feels very unprecise compared to a mouse. Also it's got allot fewer buttons compared to the mouse/keyboard combination), the games are much cheaper, I can watch TV at the same time as I play, I don't have to pay extra to play my games online and I can use my computer for a bunch of other stuff, not just gaming.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
When people keep ranting about the cost of PCs they tend to forget the need for a tv on consoles. Now my current tv is okay, but it's not great. I'd like a bigger with a HD option.
Hmm... I'd forgotten about that. I remember a couple games with text that I couldn't read, because of my analog TV. That kinda sucked. But I got an HDTV a couple months ago, so all is good.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
elitecrewer said:
tenlong said:
pc elitists
....are the best people ever.

While console gamers rant about their identical, douchebag Gears of Wars etc, we're playing better games, with a better control scheme on a more powerful system to a higher level.

I was going to link that flowchart that says 'do you like gaming: Yes -> Buy a PC, No -> Buy a console', but it doesn't seem to be up anymore. And console gamers do bash PC gamers. I didn't mind consoles before, it's just that this generation has come up with literally nothing worth playing.

No insult to you but does a game have to come with a hooker and six pack of beer before you would enjoy it.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Whoolpurse said:
S.H.A.R.P. said:
Why aim with a stick if you can do it with a mouse?
Why aim with a mouse when you can aim with a stick?

you can't put it up that way friend.
No offence, but I can't conceive any situation where a stick is better for aim than a mouse (besides a flight simulator), care to enlighten me?

elitecrewer

Apr 22, 2009
tenlong said:
elitecrewer said:
tenlong said:
pc elitists

While console gamers rant about their identical, douchebag Gears of Wars etc, we're playing better games, with a better control scheme on a more powerful system to a higher level.

I was going to link that flowchart that says 'do you like gaming: Yes -> Buy a PC, No -> Buy a console', but it doesn't seem to be up anymore. And console gamers do bash PC gamers. I didn't mind consoles before, it's just that this generation has come up with literally nothing worth playing.

No insult to you but does a game have to come with a hooker and six pack of beer before you would enjoy it.
Is that a question? I'm confused.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
elitecrewer said:
tenlong said:
elitecrewer said:
tenlong said:
pc elitists

Well is it? You tell me?

elitecrewer

Apr 22, 2009
tenlong said:
elitecrewer said:
tenlong said:
elitecrewer said:
tenlong said:
pc elitists

Well is it? You tell me?
I'm guessing it is, so I'll answer it as such (and 'you tell me?' isn't, by the way).

Yes, a game has to come with a proverbial hooker and six pack before I would bother playing it. Why don't we all play free games? They cost nothing, but we get utility from them. Because they do cost something -> time. We don't play them, despite them costing no money, because they cost our time and, because they're not very good, they're not an effective enough use of our time to bother. Same goes for most console games. It may be that consoles are cheaper than PCs, but when console games just aren't good enough to be worth my time where PC games are, is £300 for a PS3 really better value than a £600 rig?

Whoolpurse

Jul 14, 2008
S.H.A.R.P. said:
Whoolpurse said:
S.H.A.R.P. said:

No offence, but I can't conceive any situation where a stick is better for aim than a mouse (besides a flight simulator), care to enlighten me?
It's a matter of what you prefer.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Whoolpurse said:
S.H.A.R.P. said:
Whoolpurse said:
S.H.A.R.P. said:

It's a matter of what you prefer.
Sure it is, as is skydiving with or without a parachute. Surely it is more rational to do it with one, but you may prefer to do without, chances of survival are quite low though. Again, no offence, but this is how I see this matter. Yet I am but an uninformed PC gamer, one who stands open for opinions and humbly asks to be relieved of his ignorance.

I sketch you the following scenario: say the only console you possess is a PC. You have a number of FPS games installed on it. You are able to play them with a keyboard and mouse, or with a controller of your choice.
How would you play these games? Would you think you are more accurate, and hence more efficient with either the mouse or the controller? Regardless of accuracy, would you prefer to play with the controller? (note that when you have a controller you can play casually on the couch, if that is the reason for your preference)

No need to reply my dear, but I'd appreciate it nonetheless.