NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
veloper said:
leet_x1337 said:
Keava said:
leet_x1337 said:
Keava said:
Origin at least promises 2 years. Steam can do it at any point in time.
Isn't taking away someone's access to every game they bought with the service with hardly any warning doing that "at any point in time"? Although it is for forum bans, it's still another broken promise on EA's part. And I've never seen anyone call out Steam because they woke up and all their games were gone. If you have, could you post a link?
You would be surprised how many people have such issues with Steam, but interwebs Valve-fan police keeps 'em quiet. Actually, You can get people banned on Steam quite easily, just be from US and gift US priced games to friends in EU. Both You and Your friends can be banned xD

Another funny case with Valve is their relation with PayPal. If for whatever reason PayPal issues a chargeback on a purchase from Valve You get banned from Your Steam account until PayPal gives Valve money back. You can't use alternative payment method. You have to now enter a long and quite tiresome back and forth between two companies, neither really willing to help You. Can happen with credit card payments too.

Oh, and unknowingly accepting an illegally obtained item/game through he trading system gets You banned too, even if You personally done nothing illegal. Sure, getting scammed is the victims fault 99% of time, but still...
"Valve-fan police" can't keep every Internet user with a genuine grudge against Steam down. Again: link or it didn't happen.
There was one case in recent memory, but that one involved tax evasion and many angry people just hadn't figured out was really going on. Still it caused a bit of stir a while back.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/fk90z/steam_support_bans_my_account_for_gifting/

You can get banned if you "gift" european "friends" games in exchange for money (through paypal or otherwise).
Companies delivering to European customers need to pay VAT to european countries, which is a kind of tax (varying around 20%), which the company in turn charges the customer over the tiller.
Valve pays the VAT, but some smart individuals found out that you can set up your own american shop within Steam, undercut valve's euro pricing and avoid taxes (and potentially still make a small profit). That is until you get found out.
That is kind of breaking the law, though...He'd probably be lucky just to get away with losing his games...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Basically my opinion of it boils down to this:
I use it to boot BF3 with, after which I don't see Origin again, and after I'm done playing BF3 I close it. It doesn't actually do much else, so I barely notice it's existence.

Doesn't get much opportunity to collect all kinds of data either, as it's barely ever running, only when I'm playing a game.
Metanar said:
Made me download the whole thing from Origin instead of just installing from the disk, not sure if it does that for everyone.
Actually, it does install from the disk, it just says "Downloading" for some reason. I tested it with BF3, when I took the disk out it gave an error.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Severe and utter denial.
I've come to terms with with Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 3 and that I will never own sorry I mean being humbly allowed to use the license to play them.
If EA wants world domination so badly at least some PC system should remain Origin-free so that the museum can show them and educate further generation.
"Yes, kid this is one of the last working PCs that hasn't Orgin installed, yes it worked before the E.A. Overlords took over and glorious redifined our modern society"

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I have it for BF3 and I don't like it. It's nowhere near as good as Steam. On top of that, I moved some files around, including putting BF3 on my new SSD. I changed the Origin paths and everything in the options menu, but guess what? Redownloaded the whole game! Yay!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:
leet_x1337 said:
Keava said:
leet_x1337 said:
Keava said:
Origin at least promises 2 years. Steam can do it at any point in time.
Isn't taking away someone's access to every game they bought with the service with hardly any warning doing that "at any point in time"? Although it is for forum bans, it's still another broken promise on EA's part. And I've never seen anyone call out Steam because they woke up and all their games were gone. If you have, could you post a link?
You would be surprised how many people have such issues with Steam, but interwebs Valve-fan police keeps 'em quiet. Actually, You can get people banned on Steam quite easily, just be from US and gift US priced games to friends in EU. Both You and Your friends can be banned xD

Another funny case with Valve is their relation with PayPal. If for whatever reason PayPal issues a chargeback on a purchase from Valve You get banned from Your Steam account until PayPal gives Valve money back. You can't use alternative payment method. You have to now enter a long and quite tiresome back and forth between two companies, neither really willing to help You. Can happen with credit card payments too.

Oh, and unknowingly accepting an illegally obtained item/game through he trading system gets You banned too, even if You personally done nothing illegal. Sure, getting scammed is the victims fault 99% of time, but still...
"Valve-fan police" can't keep every Internet user with a genuine grudge against Steam down. Again: link or it didn't happen.
There was one case in recent memory, but that one involved tax evasion and many angry people just hadn't figured out was really going on. Still it caused a bit of stir a while back.

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/fk90z/steam_support_bans_my_account_for_gifting/

You can get banned if you "gift" european "friends" games in exchange for money (through paypal or otherwise).
Companies delivering to European customers need to pay VAT to european countries, which is a kind of tax (varying around 20%), which the company in turn charges the customer over the tiller.
Valve pays the VAT, but some smart individuals found out that you can set up your own american shop within Steam, undercut valve's euro pricing and avoid taxes (and potentially still make a small profit). That is until you get found out.
That is kind of breaking the law, though...He'd probably be lucky just to get away with losing his games...
Yes, but it also illustrates the kind of "everyone does it anyway" excuse the Origin apologizers are using.
The Origin game bans are unjustifed even if the users were trolling the forums hard, which is very much in doubt.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
veloper said:
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:

Yes, but it also illustrates the kind of "everyone does it anyway" excuse the Origin apologizers are using.
The Origin game bans are unjustifed even if the users were trolling the forums hard, which is very much in doubt.
And here I thought we were arguing on different sides...Still, EA loves "everyone does it anyway." Even when they don't. You know what I'm talking about, right?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:

And here I thought we were arguing on different sides...Still, EA loves "everyone does it anyway." Even when they don't. You know what I'm talking about, right?
Especially when they don't and then boil the frog slowly.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
veloper said:
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:

Wait, what? I was thinking of Dragon Age 2 and the thing with the Metacritic user reviews which were all by Bioware employees who created accounts specifically to praise Dragon Age 2 (and then blast The Witcher 2, even after they were all doxed.) What's a frog got to do with it?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Use Origin, yeah for a week and a half, well until the crack that allows you to play BF3 without Origin came along,

While I did have it installed I can't say I had any real issue with it, the process rumours of it going looking for stuff on your computer is rubbish, I ran various process monitors for several hours on several occasions and Origins overall system access and usage was less than Steams.

On the other hand unlike Steam which currently has 34 games installed on it and thus justifies its existence I have one and only one game installed via Origin and that's BF3 and given that EA have nothing, I mean totally nothing worth even looking at for the PC any time in the next fourty seven decades chances are I will never use Origin for anything other than BF3, so Origin was killed off three weeks ago.

EADM was dead in the water, EA knew it, they wanted it to be their version of Steam it just was never gonna happen so they spotted a big name title coming up, renamed EADM to Origin and then forced anyone buying BF3 to have to use Origin. Yeah they did exactly what Valve did with Steam and HL2 over a decade ago.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:

Wait, what? I was thinking of Dragon Age 2 and the thing with the Metacritic user reviews which were all by Bioware employees who created accounts specifically to praise Dragon Age 2 (and then blast The Witcher 2, even after they were all doxed.) What's a frog got to do with it?
It's a metaphor for how the decline got worse gradually. Slowly enough so as not to backfire with a sharp loss in sales. 10 years ago gamers would not have put up with all the DRM crap and only a troll would defend something like the origin bans.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
veloper said:
leet_x1337 said:
veloper said:
It's a metaphor for how the decline got worse gradually. Slowly enough so as not to backfire with a sharp loss in sales. 10 years ago gamers would not have put up with all the DRM crap and only a troll would defend something like the origin bans.
I suppose the problem, then, is that we're all stupid. Having to take every new game right away, without even caring who made it or what ridiculous things they put in as long as we get to see if Commander Shepard saves the galaxy or fails his mission...

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
It hasn't influenced my life in the slightest. Skyrim and Civilization 5 are played through Steam, and Minecraft is it's own thing, so I have no real reason to log on. I also haven't seen a ton of spam E-mails or unauthrized credit card transactions or whatever is supposed to happen if EA gives people my information.