PC gamers..how are you enjoying Origin?

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
I don't mind it too much but it's an unnecessary step between buying and playing the game. I remember using the EA Download Manager a while ago (which is what origin was originally called) to register some physical games I bought so in case I lose the disc I could still play the game legally. That's the one thing I truly like about the service.

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
It's slightly worse than steam, and everything is more expensive (except for the free Mass Effect 2 which was the reason I got it in the first place), but it's not like I have to buy anything there.
I'm more annoyed by every software company and their grandmother seemingly wanting to get in on the download manager craze than any specific system. You already know about the spying, so no point in talking about it, but other than that I'd say it works ok. Never had any actual trouble with it.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Kyle 2175 said:
It's okay. I have little intention of using it to buy anything, but it works well enough, far better than Steam did at launch. The interface is clean and simple; the downloading is as fast as anything else. It's certainly nothing special, but I don't see why people are avoiding it like the plague.
Because it's not their "beloved" Steam. People really need to realize we need much more competition on digital distribution market if we ever want to have base game price to go down. Currently the only 2 that people speak of are Steam and Origin, but there is GameStop's Impulse, Desura (indie games), GamersGate (mainly for UK people), D2D and GoG (classics and soon indie games). That's not really all that much compared to all the retail chains world wide that sell games.

Monopoly = Bad. Variation = Good.

The idea is to buy the game where You get the best offer. That way You give other services a sign that They could improve.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
I just about tolerate it for Battlefield 3.
It's okay I guess, never really something I pay much attention to. I've been monitoring what it's been prying into as far as my personal stuff goes and beyond messing around in its own little folder, it's done precisely bugger all.

It's not a brilliantly well done system and I have no intention of using it to purchase anything, ever, but it's not quite the rough, angry, violating penetrator everyone said it would be. It's just a bit of a ball ache.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Metanar said:
Only used it for BF3 but it's been a massive pain. Made me download the whole thing from Origin instead of just installing from the disk, not sure if it does that for everyone. On the subject the battlelog thing is quite annoying too, ends up taking ages to get into games since it has to launch the game every single time. Only good thing about it is that it's much easier to keep track of friends than it was with BC2, but they could have integrated it with steam if they wanted to for the same effect. Will be trying as hard as I possibly can to avoid using it in future.
Its an occasional problem that all digital distributions do in my experience. I've had Steam do it to me, I've had Impulse do it to me. Really, the only one that hasn't done it to me has been Origin, but that is because I only have BF3 and some ME DLC on it.

OT: I don't mind it. There is nothing wrong with it, and it loads everything faster than Steam for me. I still don't like the idea of digital distributor things at all, due to the number of grievances they have caused me on the whole, but Origin I haven't had any major problems with yet.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Haven't used it but it have caused bluescreens for two of my friends, that and their internet connection was dead for almost an hour after they launched it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I am not using it and I never will. And no, I won't buy Mass Effect 3 if they make me buy it on Origin. Fuck Origin.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
My experience of it is that it prevented me from buying Battlefield 3. I've never used it, and I never will. If it comes from EA, spyware with no opt-out is a guarantee.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I don't know, I'm still using Steam and I'm not planning on using Origin.
EA shouldn't have moved away from Steam if they wanted to keep me as a customer.
Too bad, I liked some EA games...

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
I am not enjoying it at all, it's poorly designed, doesn't have any good bargains (I have bought something like 60 games from steam in the past year since building my new PC, all due to amazing sales), plus there's the whole "total access to your files and history for EA's purposes" which is fucked up and required me to learn a whole new program just to run Origin in a safe little box away from my files.

So yeah, there is nothing to like, and plenty to hate: Fuck Origin and EA (aside from DICE and Bioware, who I wish would just go work for Valve).

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Karathos said:
Haven't found anything wrong with it. All the scaremongering about the EULA is ridiculous. The sweetest irony of all is seeing people on FACEBOOK complain about how Origin "steals their personal information". I mean... really? REALLY?

It's a good, stable application and helps keep track of my different games. Heck, I bought a physical copy of Bad Company 2 back when it was released, and now it's in my Origin folder and I can download it if the DVD breaks/goes missing. Dunno how or why, but the game's there. Maybe it's because I registered it with my account... *shrug*
Yes really. Facebook is unavoidably twattish about your personal data but so is Origin. Facebook is a damn sight harder to live without and a damn sight easier to keep under control. Run it in a separate browser to your regular one and don't give it any information you wouldn't be happy to be posted in public to anyone and everyone and you're fine.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Tell me, have you ever eaten a banana?

Only when you take a bite it turns out it's made of plastic.

And it's filled with poo.

And if you ask the guy you bought it from he just says "You bought it, it's your problem now".

If you have ever done that, then there's no need to repeat it by using Origin.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I installed it to play Battlefield 3, and I'm not enjoying it so far. The program is slow and unresponsive, the servers have gone down twice since I got it (five days ago) and I'm encountering frequent bizarre bugs, such as telling me that my username and password are incorrect unless I go to EAs website and log in there first.

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
I expirience it like this. I dont use it. Im too busy playing League of Legends/skyrim/youtube to be bothered with such horsehockey.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I'm one of those steam fanboys (not valve, just steam), and I love it and the service it gives me. And theres something I hate:

PASSWORDS.

I'm SICK AND TIRED of new passwords and activation emails for every god damned website/service/whatever. I don't want another steam with only two games on it, the reason I LIKE steam is it manages all my games. All-my-games. I have no interest in battlefield and the mmo, and skipped the dragon age and mass effect sequels.

Thus, no origin for me. They'd have to do something pretty wild to pull me in.

DrSpoy

May 26, 2011
Keava said:
Kyle 2175 said:
It's okay. I have little intention of using it to buy anything, but it works well enough, far better than Steam did at launch. The interface is clean and simple; the downloading is as fast as anything else. It's certainly nothing special, but I don't see why people are avoiding it like the plague.
Because it's not their "beloved" Steam. People really need to realize we need much more competition on digital distribution market if we ever want to have base game price to go down. Currently the only 2 that people speak of are Steam and Origin, but there is GameStop's Impulse, Desura (indie games), GamersGate (mainly for UK people), D2D and GoG (classics and soon indie games). That's not really all that much compared to all the retail chains world wide that sell games.

Monopoly = Bad. Variation = Good.

The idea is to buy the game where You get the best offer. That way You give other services a sign that They could improve.
I think you might be wrong here. its not because its not "our beloved steam" its because of that whole scare about it digging through your files. Its also the fact we have to get another program on our computer (possibly just for one or 2 games), and the fact that its practically forcing us to get it to get some of the new EA games. Just my opinion, at least they could've done a much better job of just announcing it and making sure they have a decent amount of sales.

Variation = Good. Forcing us to get something because you want to compete = bad

willis888

May 18, 2010
lol

I would not touch it with a standard issue 10' pole.

I said the same thing about Steam until someone gave me a free copy of Skyrim. I guess I'd create an Origin account if someone gave me a free copy of Dragon Age 3.

I'll never give money to either service. When those companies go out of business, and they will eventually, you can kiss your games collection goodby.

I'd much rather buy install disks from Amazon or some other online retailer.

aksel

Nov 18, 2009
After I bought Battlefield 3, I instantly downloaded a non-Origin hack. I think that speaks for itself.