PC games you want to play... but can't

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
The Ultima series. Ever since I saw the Spoony One's retrospective, I've REALLY wanted to try it. And yes, I know that both Ultima Underworld games are available on GOG, but I want the main series. Grrrr.....

AbstractJuggler

May 27, 2009
Not meaning to brag, but I can play Crysis on my laptop *scoff*
[sub] ...on low graphics... [/sub]
[sub] ...with some framerate issues... [/sub]
But most new games are too good for my poor little laptop that could. The main problem for me is the integrated graphics card and processor which I chose so it could just run Oblivion, and the fact that my laptop's also running on XP is also gradually becoming more of a problem for gaming too, but I'm only in this situation till I get my new desktop PC November-ish.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Dexter111 said:
There's literally no single game I haven't got working on Vista or 7 with a bit of Googling, the PC has the greatest "backwards compatibility" ever, and that even includes emulating almost every console known to man made (including Wii and PS2).

I don't know why Plants vs. Zombies wouldn't work on your PC... have you tried installing the newest version of Adobe Flash? If not what kind of error message or "symptoms" are you getting?
What this guy said. I've not really found many games that I cant run if I want too. Heck I played Alpha Centauri on my PC just the other day.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
the spud said:
I'm sort of a noob when it comes to pc gaming, so i'll need you guy's help, and this seems as relevant a time as any. Will my dell latitude d620, running with windows XP, be able to run starcraft, halflife, and deus ex (the originals)? I know it can run amnesia, if that helps.
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

I use that site whenever I'm curious as to whether i need an upgrade or not.

On a side note; if you're running a laptop there's a good chance that all your hardware's been under-clocked to prevent overheating, given that they can't fit a heat sink in them.

Sariteiya

Jun 10, 2011
There's this nutty old game called Kings Quest me and my siblings used to love back in the Windows 95 days. It was a point and click adventure, and it was totally bizarre and campy, but it's full of nostalgia for us. Unfortunately it can't keep up with today's technology.

Also, I can't play the Sims 3, but that's because that f'ing game is broken beyond all reason.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Aidinthel said:
*cough*
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dungeon_keeper

Good Old Games is your friend.

*edit* Dammit. Ninja'd.
This and
]
And now I don't know what else to add to this thread.
Edit: God damn it escapist. :p Please delete this post.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
Aidinthel said:
*cough*

Good Old Games is your friend.

*edit* Dammit. Ninja'd.
This and

And now I don't know what else to add to this thread.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Sims 3: Generations.
I bought it only to find out that it and only it was too advanced for my computer (leading to the display error where the computer announces that the display driver has failed and restarted).
The thing that really bothers me is that I have every expansion and stuff pack (minus Fast Lane) up to that and they all work quite well.

EDIT: I know this doesn't fit the thread well, but I wanted to vent (and didn't think to read the first post until after I posted).

efeat

Sep 22, 2010
System Shock 2 does not seem to like windows 7 professional x64. I'm sure there's a way to get it to work...but I just don't know of it.

Also, an old flight sim I used to play back in '96 doesn't sync with a modern processor very well. It runs at like 20x normal speed.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
AbstractJuggler said:
My laptop can play crysis on highest settings at 60fps, 1440x900 resolution *scoff* :p

I have a copy of the original Duke Nukem for DOS on Floppy disk.
1) I don't have a floppy drive anymore
2) who the hell uses dos!?

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I really want to play some of the Jagged Alliance games since I'm a big fan of the old X Com games. But unfortunately they don't work with Windows 7. And it really sucks because GoG.com gave me a free copy of Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games for no apparent reason. And they're on sale this week.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Worgen said:
-Dragmire- said:
Worgen said:
BOOOM I bring you gifts
gog just got dungeon keeper and if its on gog then its been remastered to work on modern operating systems

there isnt really a game that I cant play on my pc... I guess toon struck since it was an early win 95 game and its hard to get those to work on a modern os, unfortinatly dosbox doesn't make those work, I keep hoping gog will get it
thanks for the info, I'll definitely get it. It just sucks having to buy it again even though I own the cd version, it's like paying for a patch.
well if its for dos then you can dl dosbox and play it, but if its win 95 then your kinda stuck needing the gog version since win 95 doesnt like new os's at all
yeah, unfortunately I got the Gold Edition(EA Classics) win 95-2000 only.

Dungeon Keeper 2 fares slightly better(can start and kind of work) but has major audio and video bugs that may or may not lead to a BSoD. So I've stopped trying to play it.

DracheX

Feb 4, 2011
Newer games like Shogun 2 Total War and I am going to get Skyrim for the PS3 cause my pc wont be able to handle it im guessing

AbstractJuggler

May 27, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
AbstractJuggler said:
My laptop can play crysis on highest settings at 60fps, 1440x900 resolution *scoff* :p

[Insert jealousy here]​
Got you beaten here, though; I do have a floppy drive still. Just a floppy drive, mind you. Actually, I'm not sure that's better than not having one.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Sariteiya said:
There's this nutty old game called Kings Quest me and my siblings used to love back in the Windows 95 days. It was a point and click adventure, and it was totally bizarre and campy, but it's full of nostalgia for us. Unfortunately it can't keep up with today's technology.

Also, I can't play the Sims 3, but that's because that f'ing game is broken beyond all reason.
efeat said:
System Shock 2 does not seem to like windows 7 professional x64. I'm sure there's a way to get it to work...but I just don't know of it.

Also, an old flight sim I used to play back in '96 doesn't sync with a modern processor very well. It runs at like 20x normal speed.
both of those games should be dos based, you can dl a program called dosbox that will let you run any dos game on it, it takes getting to know a few dos commands but its not a hard program to use.... altho keep in mind I started using computers back in the days of dos so Ive known them for awhile so Im not sure how easy it would be for someone who never used it

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Link90 said:
duke nukem 3d for PC (i dont own or will own a 360 in the future)
they have that on gog also
BAM
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/duke_nukem_3d_atomic_edition
fully compatible with a modern system, no need to do any dosboxing yourself

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Worgen said:
-Dragmire- said:
Worgen said:
BOOOM I bring you gifts
gog just got dungeon keeper and if its on gog then its been remastered to work on modern operating systems

there isnt really a game that I cant play on my pc... I guess toon struck since it was an early win 95 game and its hard to get those to work on a modern os, unfortinatly dosbox doesn't make those work, I keep hoping gog will get it
thanks for the info, I'll definitely get it. It just sucks having to buy it again even though I own the cd version, it's like paying for a patch.
well if its for dos then you can dl dosbox and play it, but if its win 95 then your kinda stuck needing the gog version since win 95 doesnt like new os's at all
yeah, unfortunately I got the Gold Edition(EA Classics) win 95-2000 only.

Dungeon Keeper 2 fares slightly better(can start and kind of work) but has major audio and video bugs that may or may not lead to a BSoD. So I've stopped trying to play it.
have you tried playing it in compatibility mode? vista should be able to do dungeon keeper in windows 200 compatibility mode, just right click the icon for the executable and select properties, there should be a compatibility tab

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
AbstractJuggler said:
WaaghPowa said:
AbstractJuggler said:

[Insert jealousy here]​
Got you beaten here, though; I do have a floppy drive still. Just a floppy drive, mind you. Actually, I'm not sure that's better than not having one.
The only reason I don't have a floppy drive anymore is because when I changed my motherboard, I only had SATA ports and my floppy drive was over 10 years old. If you think my laptop is awesome, you should see....
i7 930 clocked at 4.0 GHZ from 2.8
750 Watt power supply
6 Gigs of ram
Nvidia GTX 470 SLI overclocked 30%