PC games you want to play... but can't

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Dexter111 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
OT: I would love to get my copy of the original Alone in the Dark to work properly. I never even managed to get it to work on my old Windows 95 box -- it would play the redbook audio, but none of the Soundblaster sound effects, which kind of ruined the atmosphere. I managed to get it to work once for about an hour, but it never worked again. I should probably try to run it in Dosbox again; I understand that CD ROM support has been substantially improved since I last tried to use it for an actual disc.
You should :p Also try checking the comments here:
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=220&letter=A
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=219&letter=A
Nice to see that it's fully supported now -- I haven't tried to run it since some time around 2004. They must have been on version .4 or .5 back then :p

Edit: looking at their Source Forge page, it would have been version 6.2 or 6.3. That's still a while back.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
I want to play Fallout New Vegas but I can't because it stopped working after the 1.1 version patch.

And for some bizzare fucking reason now not even a clean, unupdated reinstallation will work.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
efeat said:
System Shock 2 does not seem to like windows 7 professional x64. I'm sure there's a way to get it to work...but I just don't know of it.

Also, an old flight sim I used to play back in '96 doesn't sync with a modern processor very well. It runs at like 20x normal speed.
You haven't searched well enough. I installed system shock 2 on windows 7 easily.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I find that I can make almost all PC games work, even really really old ones. Its also nice that GOG.com is around also. I never had much luck getting multiplayer to work again in Masters Of Orion 2, which sucked.

Aegis A'Sha'Se

Aug 24, 2010
Fire Warrior - I want to play it to see if it really *did* suck as much as I remember, but it won't run on windows seven.

Witcher 2 - Finance issues.

Duke Nukem Forever - Finance issues again.

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine - Not released, probably finance issues when it is.

Dragon Age II - I haven't the patience for it. Which is odd because I loved Origins.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Thief the Dark Project

I want to play it on my Windows 7 64 bit, but I could never get the cutscenes to work, not even with the amount of googling I did to find fixes.

I plan to get a laptop to run XP on, hopefully it'll work.

ZodiacMaster101

Jul 6, 2010
One game I have is Star Wars galactic battlegrounds and when I got my new laptop in the summer of 2009 I tried playing it but my computer was apparently too advanced for it to play.

ToAsTy McBuTTeR

May 27, 2009
i cant play either witcher until i figure out why my current computer makes them think i'm not on the admin account.

TyrunnAlberyn

Apr 1, 2010
Nooners said:
The Ultima series. Ever since I saw the Spoony One's retrospective, I've REALLY wanted to try it. And yes, I know that both Ultima Underworld games are available on GOG, but I want the main series. Grrrr.....
Even if you have the games, it can be rather tricky getting them to work on current computers. The easiest ones are thankfully also the best ones, because for games on the Ultima 7 engine (Which would be The Black Gate and Serpent Isle), you can use [link]http://exult.sourceforge.net/[/link]. It basically replaces the engine and modernises it.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Mr.K. said:
Well I wanted to go back to some oldies and got ***** smacked by the multicore issues:
- Beyond good and evil (after thousands of compatibility tweaks,it will run but never in any sort of playable fashion)
- Dungeon Siege (will crumble every few seconds)
- Diablo 2 (wont even finish loading)

Seems I haveto go and put one of my old machines together, quite a hassle for these few games.
Diablo 2 runs just fine on my Dual Core machine running Windows 7 64 bit. Just make sure you're running the fully patched version. If you can't get it to load far enough to get to the auto patcher, Blizzard has a manual patch on their website.
On gog they have a version of Beyond Good and Evil that works great once you turn off the anti-aliasing. It´s great, it really is, check it out.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Well, I really want to play the Witcher and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, but all of my current computers cannot run them. Just 2-3 more weeks...

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Dexter111 said:
LordRoyal said:
Thief the Dark Project

I want to play it on my Windows 7 64 bit, but I could never get the cutscenes to work, not even with the amount of googling I did to find fixes.

I plan to get a laptop to run XP on, hopefully it'll work.
Codec problem with the Indeo Video Codec the cutscenes are using, found a possible solution here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131747

Windows 7 comes with the Indeo codec installed. Not just that, but a more recent one than any other available version, which (as I understand it) has some security issues fixed by Microsoft.
You shouldn't install the codecs on Windows 7. You just need to register them because they are deactivated by default.

For Win7x64, just run regsvr32 "%windir%\sysWOW64\ir50_32.dll" from an Administrator-level command prompt to register the Indeo codec.
The command for Win7x86 is simply regsvr32 ir50_32.dll without needing to specify the path.

For Windows 7 x64, you need to run Thief and SS2 as administrator in order for cutscenes to play. The rest of the games should run fine without administrator privileges, though.
Tried it, unfortunately it didn't work very well and the cutscenes began to start freezing.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
KOTOR; sadly my new system can't run it for some reason it becomes unresponsive on the menu... :(

Total Annihilation; not surprising really, considering it is 14 years old.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
kayisking said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Mr.K. said:
Well I wanted to go back to some oldies and got ***** smacked by the multicore issues:
- Beyond good and evil (after thousands of compatibility tweaks,it will run but never in any sort of playable fashion)
- Dungeon Siege (will crumble every few seconds)
- Diablo 2 (wont even finish loading)

Seems I haveto go and put one of my old machines together, quite a hassle for these few games.
Diablo 2 runs just fine on my Dual Core machine running Windows 7 64 bit. Just make sure you're running the fully patched version. If you can't get it to load far enough to get to the auto patcher, Blizzard has a manual patch on their website.
On gog they have a version of Beyond Good and Evil that works great once you turn off the anti-aliasing. It´s great, it really is, check it out.
You quoted the wrong person; only the person whose post you're immediately quoting gets a notification, nested quotes don't do anything for the people higher up in the chain. You might want to re-quote the guy, just to make sure he gets the message.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i keep my pc upgraded so theres no modern games i cant run on at least high settings. sadly, all the upgrading in the world wont change the fact that i cant play full throttle *sniff*