Pc Gaming Dying????

karn3

Jun 11, 2008
Your right beoweasel. The consoles seem to be getting closer and closer to PC's. Soon we won't be able to tell the difference. All accept Nintendo who seem to be doing it right with the Wii which is neither powerful nor exspensive. That is true accessable gaming, my dad can even use the Wii and trust me that's saying something.

Also I think it is a shame MMO's are becoming a PC gaming staple. Some people exclusivly play MMO's and totally disregard the the rich and often far superior selection of games for the PC. I'm not sure if there are any figures to back up what I think but that's how it seems to me.

karn3

Jun 11, 2008
Retiary Sword PC's dominate any genre of game including FPS. Mouse and keyboard wwwaaaaayyyyy more accurate. Imagine trying to play counterstrike with a gamepad. It would be horrible. Also did you read my post about my computer? Cheap and high end. Putting it together is easy. It's like Lego. You even get an instruction manual for god sake

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
karn3 said:
Thanks nilcypher!
My PC is:
Core 2 duo E6550 - £110
Asus p5n-e sli - £56
nVidia GeForce 8800GT - £120
4GB of RAM - £59
250GB hardrive - £25
Regular DVD/RW drive - £17
Case and power supply - £45

Grand total of £436
I must admit, I scoffed initially at your £400 price tag, but actually, it's a pretty capable little rig you've got there.

beoweasel

Nov 26, 2007
karn3 said:
Your right beoweasel. The consoles seem to be getting closer and closer to PC's. Soon we won't be able to tell the difference. All accept Nintendo who seem to be doing it right with the Wii which is neither powerful nor exspensive. That is true accessable gaming, my dad can even use the Wii and trust me that's saying something.

Also I think it is a shame MMO's are becoming a PC gaming staple. Some people exclusivly play MMO's and totally disregard the the rich and often far superior selection of games for the PC. I'm not sure if there are any figures to back up what I think but that's how it seems to me.
I dunno, I play MMOs, and I enjoy them immensely. I've always been a RPG nut and playing MMOs seemed like a natural extension of that, not to mention the social interaction (Yeah, there are a lot of morons in the MMO community, but all game communities are like that.)

As for the Wii? I'm suspect. While it has gone for the cheap and playability, I get the feeling their content has suffered for it. I've seen a great deal of Wii games on the shelves, but besides a couple of titles, the majority looked like poorly rushed garbage.

karn3

Jun 11, 2008
Thankyou! :)
Plays Crysis with everything on high accept water effects and 2 other things

karn3

Jun 11, 2008
Your right about the game selection for the wii Beoweasel! 3/4 of it stinks but thats not Nintento's fault, blame lazy third party developers. Pretty much all the Nintendo games (Zelda, Mariocart, and a few otehrs are excellent.

dumah

Jun 11, 2008
PC gaming dieing, right. If anything i can foresee consoles dieing before PCs do, because eventually people are going to get tired of shelling out X amount of money for only a couple years then it the system gets old and you sell it. PCs you can continue to upgrade and add or take away from it. Plus muli-player is always larger than on a console, and if you notice console systems are becoming more and more like PCs. True the last few major areas for PC gaming are RTS, MMO but i know a lot of people who like to play fps on the PC. Cost is another thing $50 to $60 for a console game or a illegal port from online.
and last the PC versatility will keep it alive when was the last time you saw some one type a term paper on a console
By the way If you use a MAC for gaming you should have you head beat in

carlosvader77

May 7, 2008
PC isn't dying and it never will. The only thing that could happen is a merger of both. The PC has advantage over consoles in a big way due to customization of the PC itself and in the games. Especially in sports games, the amount of patches and customizable features is just too much for consoles to handle. Like it was mentioned in this thread, Mods are another important advantage. The only advantage that I see of consoles over PC is with the Wii motion detection control scheme but the graphics aren't close to what the PC offers (although kudos to Nintendo for resting the Wii's advantage on gameplay), because PS3 and XBox360 rest their advantages on graphics and in that category they can't compete with the PC.

Frankmanik

Jun 11, 2008
Yeah. Right. You have fun with that, kid. I'll be over here, playing my Battlefield Project Reality mod, generating my own content for Oblivion, executing a level of combined arms far beyond the scope of console gaming in ARMA, NetHacking it oldschool, and so forth. With a console, you take what you are given. PCs can add to that, change it, or at least dick around with the .INI files so that your AGL can fire 40mm HE at 500 rounds a second.

If anything, Consoles are severly limiting the market and potential for innovative gaming. Basically, HALO sells. Mechwarrior, flight sims, sims generally, decent RPGs, and so forth don't sell. So we're stuck with a lot of crap like HALO3 and Assasin's creed, which are pretty, repetitive, and don't really bring anything new to the table. Note: Marathon and Thief, which did each did it about ten years ago, and did it just about as well. Yes, you can free run in Assasin's creed, no, this doesn't do much except add a visually impressive gimick to a game where you can't even screw up the fugu.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
beoweasel said:
(PS2, Xbox, Gamecube) only lasted half that time.
Actually, the PS2 is still a healthy console for sony.

DAMNIT i'm fueling the conversation!

How has this thread existed past the first day

Kaewt

Jun 8, 2008
most arguements of upgrading were valid, say 5 years ago when the ps2 was popular.

Currently there are about 0.5 games per month for the pc. Where as 5 years ago there were 15 games every month. yeah baby yeah...

But those who only started gaming from 2004 onwards wouldn't have noticed.

reflect http://videogamessuck.com/archive2003-08.html august 2003
compared to http://videogamessuck.com/archive2007-08.html sorry but its hard to get a website that stores its reviews in a monthly callendar.

That website has some nice reviews too

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Codgo said:
nilcypher said:
Codgo said:
Every PC should come with a dedicated Nvidia or ATI card. Damn even a low range ATI HD 2600Pro 512mb is only roughly £40 and will give you an enjoyable experience with the current gen games. Yes it won't be the highest res and you can't turn on anti-aliasing but for somebody new to PC Gaming they won't care about that anyway.
This will never happen. You have to remember that most PCs are not bought for gaming, they're bought so that people can go on the internet or do homework. You don't need a seperate graphics card for that.
My point is that even a entry level dedicated GPU is so cheap, even if somebody buys the PC for non-gaming reasons its so cheap it should be included anyway.
Are those rose tinted glasses prescription, or do you just wear them to look cool?

Yes, entry level cards might be cheap, but they aren't free, which means the manufacturer makes less profit.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
A ZP episode was supposed to come out. Thus, we have the usual influx of underage experts. It's like summer. Wait, it IS summer.

Drbog

Jun 11, 2008
"Blizzard don't care about money"-What the hell?I was under the impression that they preyed on the lonley.This is a stupid debate is stupid.Modding-the single greatest thing on PC will probly never come to anything else if only you could experience the greatness that is Garrys Mod a game I play on almost a daily basis since I got it last year.

Tell me 3 games that were out on pc first, then ported (NOT remade) to the consoles.-Final fantasy 11,Quake wars:enemy territory and Morrowind are three GOOD ports.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Codgo said:
shatnershaman said:
If PC gaming dies then my 2nd and 3rd favorite series will die. (COH and Dawn of war.)
Relic really make some of the best games. Company of Heroes made 2006 very special.
Too bad I couldn't play it in 2006.... had to stare at the box for over a year.