scott91575 said:
Anthony Wells said:
scott91575 said:
Rationalization said:
scott91575 said:
Rationalization said:
Keepeas said:
more functional
You were being sarcastic right? PC games require like 5 minutes of checking every time you want to play, you're usually reliant on other companies servers. The downloading, installing, updating always take longer than consoles. Consoles are FAR more functional than pcs.
I don't know what games you are playing. Dedicated servers are in no way a bad thing. Being reliant on one company's server is not a good thing. Although, on PC, if you want, you can still stick to the developer's/publisher's servers (in many games it is just like consoles where there are not any dedicated servers, and something many PC gamers hate).

If people want to make a legit point about PC multiplayer, I will hand one to you. It's much easier to cheat on the PC. That is the one thing I do not like.
I meant like ubisoft servers that went down and screwed over people. I recently got ME2 because I had it for xbox 360 and wanted to play it again (it was that free deal). You had to download the game, and each individual DLC seperately. They were also on different pages. You then had to install the dlcs in the correct folder and registering them to your account. You also had to sign in like 3 times in the specific site, the ea site, then again when you got everything to confirm. For witcher 2 I had to create a GOG account, log in download it, confirm the paypal account, register on the witcher 2 site then after loading it up multiple times for patching and troll dlc.

If any of that was on a console it would consist of putting in the cd and click update, download dlc while inside the game without even having to exit.
You forgot to mention you had to go to the store, wait in line, pay for the game, and drive home instead of downloading it on PC. You more than likely had to pay much more for the console game too. Why wasn't ME2 free on console? That, or order it online (which would require paypal or inputting your credit card) and wait 2 or 3 business days.

Some of the login stuff from companies is a little bit much. Of course once you do it the first time for any of the publisher's games it's as simple as clicking a button after that (I already had my EA login for ME). I'm sorry, but you cannot convince me digital downloads are inferior to disc, nor is installing. You are including steps that it takes to get the game (which are one time things) but not including what it takes to get a physical copy. Heck, I bet the next generation of consoles will have all of that stuff. Why? Because it's better. Installing reduces load times by a ton. Consoles don't do it because they don't have the hard drive space. Digital download is the way of the future, and those same things you see on PC today will be there for the next gen consoles.

As for patching, on Steam it does it for me automatically. I don't even need to open the game. Not true for consoles.

i dont use aim assists in my console fps's and i find a mouse very spastic and unreliable. personal experience aside i can see how a mouse and keyboard should work better but in my personal experience i cant stand them...the keyboard hurts my fingers afer extended play and the mouse isnt reliable enough for me. and as i said i dont use aim assist on my fps i havent found a difference when i do or dont. so i turned it off out of it not helping me.
I think you quoted the wrong one, but it's cool.

Anyway, I think it's mostly a comfort thing for many people. Basically what they are used to. Yet if someone picked up both at the same time, a mouse would be seen as more precise. There is a reason it's still the major interface on PC's. If joystick/analog stick like device was more precise on computers, it would be the major interface. The reason it's used on consoles is consoles were always for people to use on their family room tv sitting on the couch or a comfortable chair. A mouse is rather unwieldy in that environment (I personally have setup on a big screen where I use a mouse on a table that works well with a recliner I have, but that is unusual and it's not my living room). Anyway, the point being if you have the choice without having something you are used to, the majority of people would always choose a mouse. Of course with PC's you can use a controller with analog sticks if you want. I played Arkam Asylum on PC with a XBox controller (controllers are much better with beat em up type games). I can't play with a keyboard and mouse on a console without doing some modifications and praying it works correctly.

yeah i quoted the wrong one. still getting used to using this forum sometimes i click the wrong quote button

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Rationalization said:
scott91575 said:
You forgot to mention you had to go to the store, wait in line, pay for the game, and drive home instead of downloading it on PC. You more than likely had to pay much more for the console game too. Why wasn't ME2 free on console? That, or order it online (which would require paypal or inputting your credit card) and wait 2 or 3 business days.

Some of the login stuff from companies is a little bit much. Of course once you do it the first time for any of the publisher's games it's as simple as clicking a button after that (I already had my EA login for ME). I'm sorry, but you cannot convince me digital downloads are inferior to disc, nor is installing. You are including steps that it takes to get the game (which are one time things) but not including what it takes to get a physical copy. Heck, I bet the next generation of consoles will have all of that stuff. Why? Because it's better. Installing reduces load times by a ton. Consoles don't do it because they don't have the hard drive space. Digital download is the way of the future, and those same things you see on PC today will be there for the next gen consoles.

As for patching, on Steam it does it for me automatically. I don't even need to open the game. Not true for consoles.
You can get games delivered to your house, PSN and XBL have digital downloads. But comparing new releases where downloading, installing and patching a new PC game takes at least an hour I'm sorry but there is no comparison.

It doesn't only happen once, you're constrained by your hard drive space and wanting to uninstall something you don't play anymore. My hard drive failed recently and had to install everything all over again. Not to mention corrupted files, etc. (With my new hard drive space is no longer an issue but I still uninstall games I don't play anymore.)

But a PC game on disk is way less functional than digital, you even sometimes get it earlier which is awesome.

My current addictions are wow and lol. But if I had to play a game as soon as possible it is quicker for me to play a console game. Wow and lol both require log-ins, wow has a loading screen, and LoL has a queue.

I think I'm missing some other points I was meaning to make but I'm too tired to try and go over what I was thinking again /yawn lol.
Yeah, you can have them delivered to your house. Yet do you have a magical teleporter I am not aware of. You complain about waiting an hour for a download and install, but you are fine with waiting 3+ days? As for console downloads, you are subject to hard drive space there too and the downloads are only smaller games. As for failures, please don't go there. Failures on consoles are legendary. If computer companies had failure rates similar to consoles, they would be out of business a long time ago. Heck, consoles are nothing more than PC's anyway (often with poorly designed components).

I don't know how you have a leg to stand on here. Digital downloads are way more convenient than having a physical disc delivered to your house, even on launch titles. For launch title you can pre download and have it ready to install as soon as the game goes live at midnight. Unless you are banking on the mistakes of them sending it to you early, there is no benefit in time for even a launch title.

As for loading screens, are you kidding me? Every single one of my PC games loads and is ready to play 10 times faster than any console game I have. Plus, in game, my load screens are about 5 times faster. That is not even hyperbole. Installing a game on a hard drive is beneficial and something consoles will do as soon as they have enough hard drive space. Installation is a benefit to you.

WoW has loading times that are internet based, and if it was on a console you would have the same exact issue. You are comparing apples and oranges. MMORPG are very different. Play a game like Fallout 3 or NV on PC and then compare the load times to console. PC is night and day faster.

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
I love my PC and still play games on it - MMOs and strategies (they dont even try strategies on conosoles?!). But since a kid I slowly watched as all the cool titles and new franchises started releasing on consoles. And some stayed there! And it's bloody sad :(

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
scott91575 said:
Rationalization said:
Yeah, you can have them delivered to your house. Yet do you have a magical teleporter I am not aware of. You complain about waiting an hour for a download and install, but you are fine with waiting 3+ days?
You can have a disc copy of PC games mailed to your house as well (sometimes with a download so you can start playing while waiting for the disc to arrive). Thought I might add that to your post.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I have two PC's - one old for retro games, one new for modern games. I own an Xbox (not 360) and PS2, solely because I cannot have Soul Calibur 2 or the Crash Bandicoot series for PC.

That said, who gives a fuck what platform people choose to play on? I don't claim that PC's are better, I just prefer the precision, control and customization abilities of having a mouse and keyboard - BUT I prefer the Xbox controller for driving. I can squeeze the trigger to go as fast or as slow as I like - a keyboard just floors the gas at a touch.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Eggsnham said:
Also, and this is where I'll probably lose most people, I think controllers are more natural feeling than a mouse an keyboard.
You've probably been hearing enough spam about this point, but I don't feel like going through 11 pages just to see if anyone has said it yet, so I'll just say it:
You can use an xbox 360 controller for a computer.
Can probably use a PS3 controller as well, but I know for a fact you can use a 360 controller.

Thats all I have to say on this subject, since I've beaten this dead horse into the ground way too much as it is as of late >.>

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Xzi said:
scott91575 said:
Consoles are DX9. They were launched during the last generation of DX9 cards (they are special made cards, but they are essentially the last generation of ATI and NVidia DX9 cards).

Not that DX10 is anything special.
DirectX 10 wasn't all that great, no, but DirectX 11 is far better than DX9 was. A lot more efficient, better lighting, tessellation, all that good stuff.
True. But, God knows DX11 could be a lot more stable. Mind, oh I don't know, getting on that Microsoft? I mean, seriously, OpenGL/AL is more stable and it's not even a fully supported or dedicated framework! (and no, Khronos Group doesn't count)

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Alade said:
ash-brewster said:
Alade said:
This is why I hate steam (yeah, I'm an idiot for saying that on this forum). It resurrected PC Gaming...

My main problem with PC gaming is the money cost, I can afford to upgrade my PC, but why bother when I can use that same money to buy games for my Xbox or PS?

Also, I still can't believe anyone is supporting the mouse and keyboard for gaming, PCs can use controllers, get on board while you still can. Sitting is extremely unhealthy, so for me the only way to properly game is lying on a couch with a controller in my hands, and I can't imagine any other way. To be fair, PC gamers can play like this too, but not if they use a keyboard+mouse.

A lot of people still prefer the mouse and KB combo, especially for things like FPSs RTSs and MMOs. The level of accuracy and control and the amount of custom keys just can't be replicated with the controller. Remember most FPS games on console have to have some form of aim assist to compensate for the more difficult and less accurate aiming of a controller.

Each to their own though, use what you are comfortable with that really is the best thing to do.
I'll accept that for some people sitting is more comfortable than lying down (this is hard to believe for me). But that doesn't change the fact that sitting is a very unhealthy activity.

Is the small advantage that the keyboard+mouse provide worth diabetees, heart disease, spinal problems and even cancer?

At the risk of sounding like a mom, that health risk isn't worth it when the alternative is a bit less precision.
Sitting down alone does not cause health problems, sitting down for 12 hours all day every day , eating badly and not exercising does. Big difference Its all down to moderation like anything else.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Eggsnham said:
Spend a couple hours on one of the many gaming forums scattered across the internet, and you'll see at least a half a dozen arguments about the benefits of PC vs. Console gaming.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, by the way. So let's be civil, eh?

Anyways, I'm inclined to think that they both have ups and downs.

PC gaming allows mods, better online communities (usually), and if your computer can handle it, better graphics. Or at least a mod to enhance the graphics.

That's all some really cool stuff, but consoles aren't without some pull.

For starters, they're machines designed to play all sorts of games and whatnot. And these games that go multi-platform to the PC community, typically look as good, or almost as good as PC games, without the need to buy some new high performance parts every couple of years.

Consoles (to me) are preferred because they tend to be cheaper to start, and don't need to be upgraded constantly. It takes about 6 years, give or take, before a new generation of consoles is released and takes over the current gen.

Also, and this is where I'll probably lose most people, I think controllers are more natural feeling than a mouse an keyboard.

It's probably because I grew up with controllers as opposed to mouse and keyboard, but still.

At the end of the day, though, we're all gamers doing what we love, so does it matter which console is your preference? I personally think that cross-platform multiplayer would be pretty cool. But it won't happen if we keep bickering about whose machine does what better.

Okay, I'm done spewing my scattered thoughts on the subject, feel free to discuss. That's what these threads are for.
my issue with the consoles are cheaper argument is that yes, pc's are initially more expensive, but most people already own them by now and you kind of need them for other things in addition to gaming. that means that as a gaming machine, the cost comes mainly from upgrades. you can play most games with max settings if you upgrade about every 4 years and while consoles are getting more and more expensive, computer hardware seems to be getting cheaper or at least staying approximately the same price.

all that being said, i agree with you. im sick of the console vs pc debate. i use my pc and my ps3 equally

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Eggsnham said:
At the end of the day, though, we're all gamers doing what we love, so does it matter which console is your preference? I personally think that cross-platform multiplayer would be pretty cool. But it won't happen if we keep bickering about whose machine does what better.
I recall this being the idea at first with the first xbox, but they couldn't balance it. Mouse simply gave too much precision, and PC gamers didn't like the idea of playing against console-players with auto-aim.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Vakz said:
Eggsnham said:
I recall this being the idea at first with the first xbox, but they couldn't balance it. Mouse simply gave too much precision, and PC gamers didn't like the idea of playing against console-players with auto-aim.
They actually tested it out with the 360. From the rumor mill, when they pitted console players vs. PC players (not mixing the teams), the PC players destroyed the console players. It not known how bad, but the rumor is the PC players did not lose a single match.

http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/console-gamers-get-killed-against-pc.html

edit: There was one game that allowed cross platform mutiplayer called Shadowrun. Console gamers got auto aim and PC gamers had blur added during turning in order to balance play.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Rationalization said:
You can get games delivered to your house, PSN and XBL have digital downloads. But comparing new releases where downloading, installing and patching a new PC game takes at least an hour I'm sorry but there is no comparison.
How about all the digital services that exist now? Steam is HUGE, and now Origin is popping up as well. Patching a game doesn't take an hour, not even near. Ten-Fifteen minutes at the most, unless you're on such a crap connection I doubt you could play online anyway.

Rationalization said:
It doesn't only happen once, you're constrained by your hard drive space and wanting to uninstall something you don't play anymore. My hard drive failed recently and had to install everything all over again. Not to mention corrupted files, etc. (With my new hard drive space is no longer an issue but I still uninstall games I don't play anymore.)

Constrained by hard drive space? I have 5TB HDD space, and it wasn't even expensive, HDDs are ridiculously cheap now days. How much space does your xbox or ps3 have? I have a 360, and I have to install games, because otherwise the DVD-drive makes so much noise I can barely concentrate on the game. I have a 120GB harddrive for it, which was the biggest you could get at the time I bought it, and I have to continuously uninstall games to install new ones. I can't even recall the last time I had to uninstall a game on my PC because of space issues, I only do it when I want to clean up my drive to keep it tidy.

Rationalization said:
My current addictions are wow and lol. But if I had to play a game as soon as possible it is quicker for me to play a console game. Wow and lol both require log-ins, wow has a loading screen, and LoL has a queue.
I think you're forgetting something here.. WoW is an MMO. That would be the reason for the login. Without a login, you'd have to tie it to your console or PC or whatever. That would mean you'd never be able to login at other places. And you really can't say the effort of typing in your accountname and password is so much that it's a disadvantage for PCs. I don't play LoL, so I have no idea about the queue times, but I play HoN, and I never have to sit in queue, yet there are always a ton of players online, and finding a game is easy.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Console for me because PC gaming is literally painful for me (I have fibromyalgia and arthritis). Playing on a desktop (before the Ulduar update murdered my graphics card-- and I had a short-tower desktop, so it couldn't be upgraded. That's a PC that I basically am throwing out the door because it's useless to me) hurt my shoulder and arms like hell. So I bought a laptop for work, and threw in a few upgrades for WoW. It handles it... soooorta. I get 20-30 fps in the world, a lot less if I were to try raiding. Hurts less than desktop, but still uses a mouse and still pulls.

Console is completely pain-free most of the time, the controller easier to use than mouse + keyboard. (And please don't repeat that you can use a controller w/PC. I play on a laptop, placed *on my lap*. I can't use a desk/table, that's where all the pain came from, so there's nowhere to put it where I can use a controller and still see the monitor.)

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I am surprised that nobody mentioned playing with friends with split screen. So just to nip that in the butt. LAN party, use your own screen so your buddy doesnt know you are sneeking up on him and you get the whole screen and not half. and you can still throw cheese doodles at him when he kills you!

If you prefer a console just because... Great! Play them games and have fun! But stop with the propaganda and myth spreading because a console is not better than a PC, it is just your preferance and nothing more.

Joseph Alexander

Jul 22, 2011
Fujor said:
Radeonx said:
Just to point out, cross platform gaming will never be truly balanced because the precision of mouse and keyboard is too far ahead of controllers to keep it balanced.
only really applies to FPS and RTS

and i suppose some MMOs
aye, only in those 3(and there are a few console games with RTS elements that were made with the controller in mind*) does the mouse and keyboard have unmitigated superiority.

*brutal legend gave a way for gamepad users to deal with an rts battle, by waging into the fray driving a flame spewing, lightning shooting, armored hot rod or bashing the units in melee combat as a "hero" unit.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
If you want precision and graphics, go PC.
If you want comfort, go console.

I have both and use them depending on the mood.

And mods? As fewer and fewer games seem to support mods.. I don't think so.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
DazBurger said:
If you want precision and graphics, go PC.
If you want comfort, go console.

I have both and use them depending on the mood.

And mods? As fewer and fewer games seem to support mods.. I don't think so.
Mod communities find a way. GTA4 is very mod unfriendly, and some of the mods are incredible. Heck, most developers don't offer mod tools anymore, but there are still mods for just about every game that is not based on multiplayer.

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
JET1971 said:
If you prefer a console just because... Great! Play them games and have fun! But stop with the propaganda and myth spreading because a console is not better than a PC, it is just your preferance and nothing more.
So people can't claim a console is 'better' (subjective opinion, no right answer) because it's propaganda, but you can happily say that PCs are better?

OT: Consoles and PCs both have their advantages and disadvantages. These discussions are kind of pointless, because at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference. And as I've said above, one platform is not better than another, it all comes down to what an individual wants.