PC Gaming is Cool And All... But...

grumbel

Oct 6, 2010
TEMHOTA said:
lol this part is hilarious, the future? A single device that does one job the future? Only someone who has no clue about technology or where it is headed would say that.
The days where consoles have been single purpose devices are gone for at least 10 years. Todays console can play BluRay, DVD and Netflix, you can use it for video chat, web browsing and a whole bunch of other non-gaming stuff. That's not to say they aren't at risk, but the risk aren't bulky noisy PCs, that needs upgrades, are fragile and just plain suck as living-room entertainment devices, it's stuff like AppleTV. Things that are tiny, silent and just work. AppleTV isn't yet popular enough to replace a console and some console like the Xbox360 still miss essential stuff like Internet access, so we have to wait and see what the future brings. But you can be pretty damn sure that it won't be PCs as we know them today, as whatever devices we will get in the future, you can be pretty sure that it will be locked tightly with DRM to disallow any user access. So say goodbye to custom drivers, hacks, mods and all that other stuff that made the PC interesting in the first place.

Also the fun part with all of this, as always, even assume the PC will become back and be successful, who exactly do you think will build the "living room" OS for it? Microsoft? Do you really think that they will kill of their Xbox brand? If their support for gaming on Windows is any indication, they really don't seem to give a fuck, as everything they have done for PC gaming in the last decade has been rather unimpressive.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
grumbel said:
TEMHOTA said:
lol this part is hilarious, the future? A single device that does one job the future? Only someone who has no clue about technology or where it is headed would say that.
The days where consoles have been single purpose devices are gone for at least 10 years. Todays console can play BluRay, DVD and Netflix, you can use it for video chat, web browsing and a whole bunch of other non-gaming stuff. That's not to say they aren't at risk, but the risk aren't bulky noisy PCs, that needs upgrades, are fragile and just plain suck as living-room entertainment devices, it's stuff like AppleTV. Things that are tiny, silent and just work. AppleTV isn't yet popular enough to replace a console and some console like the Xbox360 still miss essential stuff like Internet access, so we have to wait and see what the future brings. But you can be pretty damn sure that it won't be PCs as we know them today, as whatever devices we will get in the future, you can be pretty sure that it will be locked tightly with DRM to disallow any user access. So say goodbye to custom drivers, hacks, mods and all that other stuff that made the PC interesting in the first place.

Also the fun part with all of this, as always, even assume the PC will become back and be successful, who exactly do you think will build the "living room" OS for it? Microsoft? Do you really think that they will kill of their Xbox brand? If their support for gaming on Windows is any indication, they really don't seem to give a fuck, as everything they have done for PC gaming in the last decade has been rather unimpressive.
But if PC gamers were going to be forced to do everything the same way as everybody else like console gamers, wouldn't we be seeing signs of it? And no, Activision keeping us from modding their shitty little shooter isn't a real indication for the future.

PC is a superior media device to ANY console. They can go up to much higher resolutions, have higher audio quality, could potentially sound quieter with a silent case, and can look a lot better, too. I don't care if some consumers want to settle for an inferior experience, I certainly won't.

And hacks, mods, etc. aren't all that make the PC interesting. Ability to render games in any given resolution, customization of the entire OS, graphics card control panel, being able to immediately make use of any new technologies without having to wait an entire console gen, ability to go up to frame rates higher than 60 (in most cases, all you have to beat is 30), etc.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
lockecole21 said:
well in the case of origin,any EA game is better on a console,as for not starting a flame war why did you post this?
Because I thought people would be mature enough to discuss this without flaming each other.

I've been busy this week, so I haven't had time to look at this thread, but it looks like it either A.) Turned into a big ol' flame war.

Or:

B.) People have actually managed to discuss something without flaming each other.

I'm hoping for 'B', personally.

zuro64

Aug 20, 2009
Radeonx said:
Just to point out, cross platform gaming will never be truly balanced because the precision of mouse and keyboard is too far ahead of controllers to keep it balanced.
Unless its fighting games or car games like N4S, Burnout etc. Then the console would have the advantage with better controls!

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Ultratwinkie said:
A tech cycle is the time it takes for new computer chips to come out.
Not exactly but sort of. Its the time it takes for a new generation (usually defined by the size of the transistor) of transistor/switch to become available for microprocessor manufacture rather than, say, changes in chip architecture... so, for example, going from 45nm to 32nm switches is a tech cycle change whereas going from single core to multicore architecture wasn't (although changes in architecture are almost always done in concert with new tech cycles).

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
zuro64 said:
Unless its fighting games or car games like N4S, Burnout etc. Then the console would have the advantage with better controls!
Meh... if I was playing a lot of racing games competitively on my PC I'd invest in a wheel and pedals.