PC gaming vs console gaming: What are the advantages of each?

Mar 30, 2010
stroopwafel said:
Consoles all the way. Games work, updates are automatic, plug&play etc. PCs: compatibility issues, driver issues, the software trash heap that is steam, windows etc. I'd say the only advantage of PCs are emulators for old games.
Pretty much this. I got out of PC gaming back around 2000 and have been pretty much a console gamer since the PS2. I still maintain one of my old PCs (a 486 running Win95) so that I can scratch my 'childhood nostalgia' gaming itch, but I do not miss the faff and rigmarole of PC gaming one iota.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Console advantages: Cost, functionality, every game works with a proper control scheme.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Phoenixmgs said:
I'm playing within a couple minutes of popping in a disc on PS4. It's just so much easier to grab data from a hard drive than an optical disc, it's so much more convenient for developers, why not do it? I'll wait a couple minutes for that. With physical media, I can sell the game afterwards (pretty damn important to me) and you don't have to re-download the whole game again if you wanted to replay and deleted it prior. PC games are eating huge amounts of disc space too clocking in at over 100gigs. What's wrong with console downloading? I buy games on my phone via the PSN app and have it download to my PS4 in standby and it's downloaded and installed by the time I even turn on the system. Yeah, updates were a HUGE issue on PS3, but on PS4 they download in the background and YOU DON'T NEED TO UPDATE TO FUCKING PLAY THE GAME. Thus, if there's say a 20gig Day 1 patch, I'm playing the game while it downloads the update. Then, of course, future updates can be downloaded and installed while in standby mode so you'll turn on the system and see the game was updated automatically.

Lastly, why can't Steam fucking remember my password? Every time it updates, I have to reenter in my password which I never remember so I have to reset it and shit. I've now saved it in a text document so I can copy and paste it when needed.
The difference is the storage capability and the data transfer/download rate. Yes games are big now, which also goes to ask the question why so much has to be installed on the console instead of reading from the disc, I would rather have longer loading times, then only being able to have five games on my playstation at any given time. If they wanted to install a portion of the game into the HDD to reduce load times but not clog the HDD with 86GB of space, then fine. Whatever they need to do, I feel a trade-off is in order.

The speed and the ease of using a console should come at the console of load times or whatever. I dunno what playstation you have but I have never been able to play a game within moments of popping the disc in. I think the fastest game install was Persona 5 and that took 20 minutes. Additionally playing without updates has many times ruined my save file because of the version change, so I do not play until all updates are installed (at least initial updates).

Again it comes down to speed on PC. Sure I have to download an entire 30-80GB file from steam. But my internet connection will take care of that in little more than an hour. Which might be ironic because I don't want to wait for PS4 to install from a disc. The difference here is that, there is no physical media option on PC anymore. A disc should be faster, a disc should be easier, and physical games shouldn't eat up 20% of my HDD space. Not to mention that my PC can easily have several HDD's swapped in and out of it for storage of as many games as I want without the need of uninstall/install replacement time.

Look I love my PLaystation for the exclusives on that console. However it is only an exclusive machine because the PC is better than it in every single way. Consoles are trying too hard to be "everything" machines, and need to go back to just being great game machines. Frankly as much as I do not like Nintendo the Switch is by far the best Game Machine on the market. No installs, no fuss, no muss, just plug in your cartridge and you are playing in seconds.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The main draws for me are

Console (PS4):

- Small form factor and my gold PS4 looks delectable on my black entertainment stand.

- General ease of use in terms of games. UI is hit or miss though.

- Service features have come a long way in terms of convenience. PhoenixMGS mentioned the big ones above.

- Exclusives. Sure they could be eventually played on PC too, but I think a console still generally allows for tighter quality control in game development, ie coding ?to the metal?. Most of Sony?s in house studios are exceptionally talented, especially with a big budget to spend.

PC:

- Customization. I can piece everything from the hardware to tweaking software how I want it.

- Form factor; opposite end of the spectrum. I don?t care what anyone says about bulk; if you have the desk space, all the better if it has a badass looking tower on it. I love the ambient LEDs of my hardware and just listening to hum of my Cooler Master with all its fans.

- Games are essentially ?unlocked? for maximum enjoyment. I like to look under the hood so to speak, and having the option to tweak settings beyond what a menu typically offers.

- Power & versatility. I can easily ALT+Tab out of a game to type something on this site, and then jump right back into the game. I could probably even render an edited video in the background depending on what the game demands.

- Features/options. Want to see how much juice a certain game needs from your GPU, or how hot your CPU is running? There?s an ?app? for that. Want to use a DS4 for a certain game? There?s an ?app? for that too, even if native support wasn?t included for a specific game. MKXL for example is plug n play, but DS4Windows is there for something like The Evil Within or Dark Souls.

- Speaking of, Controls. KB/Mouse, gamepad, some wild custom input device, you name it and someone will get it to work on PC.

- Community. Speaking of Dark Souls again (the original), the community stepped up to transform a very shoddy port job into a fully playable game with a nifty little patch called DSfix. Seriously, some of these people need to be hired by some of these developers, because they deserve it.

- Game library. Its size and diversity is unmatched. All that?s missing are the newer exclusives. And really, if companies like Nintendo and Sony (ok, and Microsoft to a much lesser extent) aren?t going to start offering full library backwards compatibility, they should have no qualms about their older software being emulated to work on a device that is still relevant. It?s a shame they still cling to this mentality of the latest being the only form of the greatest that their dedicated fans should be allowed access to. And no, charging x amount for a rerelease with higher pixel count and screen space isn?t the same damn thing.

-
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Consoles don't really have the same advantages they've had in the past, I feel like this gen is the worst console gen I've experienced. Less interesting exclusives and less split-screen games, 2 big advantages consoles had the past generations. I also hate how Sony/Microsoft seem to focus more on 4KAY than on performance, playing games at ~30fps is pretty much impossible for me these days.

I guess consoles are more convenient but it's not worth the trade-off if you ask me.

Unless you?re talking about twitch shooters or the like, that sounds like more of a personal preference thing than an objective impossibility.

Mothro

Jun 10, 2017
Consoles have been destroyed by trying to compete with PC's. People constantly comparing console versions to PC versions of the same game are to blame for consoles trying to hit PC performance. I guess I have to give Nintendo credit for staying out of the race to the bottom after the Gamecube.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Rangaman said:
Also, $60 new releases forever.
This is a curious statement. Other then the obvious ethically questionable means, where do you find the new releases not at the standard price on PC so often?

Or are you just generalizing on the disc games. Cause even some of those come out at 30-40. The digital stores have the whole gamut of $2, $10, $20 $30, $40 etc

(Also if you're a one and done type, even Gamestop trades back about a third on recent games, nevermind getting half or more if you bother to use kijiji yourself and sell it)

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
The reason why im not a console gamer because

1. No console exclusive interest me
2. Most multiplats run better on PC
3. PC have much better exclusive library. for example STALKER series is better than anything console has offer.
4. FPS work much better with keyboard and mouse.
5. Cheaper games

so all in all. PC have several advantage over consoles.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Biggest reason I do it; the vast oceans of freeware and fan games out there.

Seriously, just discovering the world of OpenBOR (Beats of Rage; a freeware engine to make side scrolling arcade beat em ups) alone has been worth going into PC gaming.

ErrrorWayz

Jun 25, 2016
Grouchy Imp said:
stroopwafel said:
Consoles all the way. Games work, updates are automatic, plug&play etc. PCs: compatibility issues, driver issues, the software trash heap that is steam, windows etc. I'd say the only advantage of PCs are emulators for old games.
Pretty much this. I got out of PC gaming back around 2000 and have been pretty much a console gamer since the PS2. I still maintain one of my old PCs (a 486 running Win95) so that I can scratch my 'childhood nostalgia' gaming itch, but I do not miss the faff and rigmarole of PC gaming one iota.
It's all taste but PC gaming is hugely less of faff than it was in 2000 and console gaming seems to be more and more of faff judging by the patch downloads on my friends PS4 Pro.

I can't really see much of an upside to console gaming anymore myself.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
The big problem consoles have for me at the moment is that they are becoming more and more like PCs, but taking on the worst aspects of PC gaming with very few of the benefits.

When I look at the daily tasks I do on my PC, I realise there are in fact very few things that I couldn't also do on my Xbox One S. I can browse the web on my console, do word processing through OneDrive's online version of Office. Watch YouTube, Amazon, Netflix etc. Of course also play games.

The thing is that it does all those things just that bit worse than I can do the same things on my PC.

I genuinely think that the other console makers need to look to Nintendo and start taking back the advantages they used to have with plug & play and/or near instant loading from cartridges. They need to stop chasing the PC dragon and get back to being games consoles again.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
hanselthecaretaker said:
Unless you?re talking about twitch shooters or the like, that sounds like more of a personal preference thing than an objective impossibility.
Of course it's personal preference, try to play 95% of your games at 60fps or even 144fps (If you have a 144hz monitor like me) and then jump into a game running at 25-30fps. It's very jarring to me.
Seth Carter said:
Rangaman said:
Also, $60 new releases forever.
This is a curious statement. Other then the obvious ethically questionable means, where do you find the new releases not at the standard price on PC so often?
An example is GreenManGaming, they always sell new games 15-25% cheaper than places like Steam, Origin, Uplay etc etc

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Aside from all the well versed knowledges of these pro-cons, there is a rather small unexpected glee to be found in console gaming, just by knowing that your mere humble peasant existence of your consumer choice is actively hated by a (small?) subsection of PC elite gamers because they cannot optimise their playtime fun to its absolute fullest.

I image them shaking their fists towards all console owners in impotent rage alone in their rooms as they turn solemnly back to their 1000 shitzillion ram 8k-pixel 180fps liquid nitrogen-cooled overcompensator, and sigh heavily at the thought that the megatextures on the underage girls' rendered buttocks cannot yet be implemented into their favourite popular underage girls' variety showcase game along with realistic hair physics, knowing their expensive playtime equipment can only optimise their personal enjoyment to its maximum on only a few exclusive games instead of them all, brings a brief smile to my mind.

Though to be honest I only ever remember these people exist when I go online and see them complaining, and then the thought returns; "oh yeah, I'm ruining an entire art form somehow again, aren't i? Awesome!" as it's never brought up in the rest of day-to-day life. Just doing me part for the community, sir! :p
Best post I've seen in a long time. My brother is a PC gamer and he was actually taking the piss out of PC elitists when I saw him last week. For all the power his computer has, his favourite game at the moment is 7 Days to Die and that game looks like arse.

I will admit that a PC is better than a console in many regards, but I simply cannot be doing with the faff that comes with owning a PC. I simply want to play games and for that, my PS4 is perfect. "But the updates and installs for the games" I hear you say. What about it? I simply pop the console into rest mode for about 10 minutes and its done, its not a great burden to bare. At least I know the game is going to work without any further faffing about once the install and updates are done.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
An example is GreenManGaming, they always sell new games 15-25% cheaper than places like Steam, Origin, Uplay etc etc
Admittedly, not the greatest time period to put this to the test as we're in the post-christmas dearth of new games.

But their current discounts on their new page are limited to Dynasty Warriors 9, Metal Gear Survive, and the Secret of Mana remake (and a sailing game to which there is no console comparison). And the Far Cry 5 preorder at 10% off, which is the same deal on PS4.

Metal Gear Survive is the same price on Amazon for its console disc variations, as is Dynasty Warriors 9. They do beat the Secret of Mana price by a $10 chunk (though that did have a pre-order sale of its own too).

The other new full price title on the store is Kingdom Come Deliverance, which is sitting at the full $60.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Seth Carter said:
The other new full price title on the store is Kingdom Come Deliverance, which is sitting at the full $60.
Shows as $45.69 for me at https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/kingdom-come-deliverance-pc-steam-cd-key

Though I am in the UK, so I'm not sure if that is the price that would show up for folk in the USA.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I will say that I like both.

Monster Hunter is simply better on a console. Particularly a portable console. Which is why they need to localize that Monster Hunter game on it for the Switch.

Something like the Switch offers gameplay opportunities that simply won't be realized on any PC beyond maybe a tablet, and even then not as well as the Switch.

The ideal game I can think of on the Switch and makes use of its portability is a massive multiplayer hacking game. You tailor make programs, you can assist other players in realtime, or try to obstruct their efforts in realtime. With time relative events that make use of your GPS to influence the world and its ingrained lore.

A dystopian cyberpunk game of hacking and tailor made programs.

Could be fun that the always online gameplay makes you accessible, targetable ... that other players can discover a specifically generated IP identity ... and if they learn that, they can attack your game directly. How lore information can be hidden in servers you hack ... but with portability functions you can also interact with other players directly to help counter attacks in your game and turn the tables on other players, or to locally or indirectly aid eachother transferring files or helping hack servers.

And I feel like console games can deliver that social idea of gaming better than PCs.

To bad consoles are simply just trying to be cheap PCs.

Which isn't always a problem. I love Bloodborne, and consoles are simply easier to use than PCs.

In essence, why not have both? If you have the money why not?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The PS4 feature that I like the most is the rest mode. With a tight schedule from work and daily live, I have less time to play games than ever; so being able to suspend the game anywhere, and continue it the next day exactly where I left it without having to go through all the loading screens and corporation logos is a time saver that I appreciate a lot. This feature on PC games isn't as reliable.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
PCs
- Cheaper in the long run (frequent sales, no pay2play online subscriptions - outside of MMOs)
- Can be used as a work station
- UI familiar to just about everyone
- Infinitely backwards compatible
- Complete customisation of your system
- Can use any peripheral
- Play a game the way you want to
- Emulation
- Much wider modding scene
- Wider variety of games

Consoles
- Cheaper short-term
- Plug in and play
- More beginner friendly
- Fantastic first-party exclusives
- Couch co-op
- Super small form factor
- Reselling games, and buying used ones

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I primarily game on PC and I try push my colleagues to switch over to PC's. One of them told me that they are resistant to the switch is because turning on PC makes them feel like they're at work. He sits at his computer for majority of his work day. After work, he prefers turning on his console to play games because of how it makes him feel.

Now, this doesn't apply to me all that much but having similar work routine as him I can certainly understand where he's coming from.

Aug 31, 2012
For me...

Consoles:
Local multi-player
Every other fucker I know plays on console.

PC:
Modding
Most of the games I'm interested in don't come out on console.
Keyboard and mouse for 1st person
Utility for work or similar things (not really related to PC gaming but I feel it's relevant for me)
Compatibility. I can play my old PSX games on PC if I want, let alone my old PC games.

Bear in mind I haven't had a console since the PS2 era and even that didn't get much use, but if I had a bunch of mates that were into the local multiplayer couch co op thing I would absolutely buy one for that.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Seth Carter said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Admittedly, not the greatest time period to put this to the test as we're in the post-christmas dearth of new games.

But their current discounts on their new page are limited to Dynasty Warriors 9, Metal Gear Survive, and the Secret of Mana remake (and a sailing game to which there is no console comparison). And the Far Cry 5 preorder at 10% off, which is the same deal on PS4.

Metal Gear Survive is the same price on Amazon for its console disc variations, as is Dynasty Warriors 9. They do beat the Secret of Mana price by a $10 chunk (though that did have a pre-order sale of its own too).

GMG often have vouchers, at the moment they have 20% off of Kingdom Come Deliverance which makes it about 15 yuros cheaper than it is on steam (?49.99 on steam and ?36 on GMG), they also have 20% off the new CIV6 expansion. I can assure you that Far Cry 5 will get a voucher/discount closer to release as well.