Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
SPAAAAÆÆÆÆÆECS!

Recommended Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4GB System RAM
6GB free HDD space
DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher (i.e GTX550Ti); ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Minimum Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

You look to be well within the limits of the minimum requirements, and you say you don't intend to play on a particularly grueling resolution. I would recommend a PC version. Especially considering mods.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah it was made for the 360, but mods will be what makes the PC version stomp the console versions. Why is this even an argument?

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well that PC is almost as good as mine (the GPU is about the same) so if you can't play it then I'm actually worried.

I'd say upgrade to Win 7 64 bit, and get some more RAM. That rig isn't that bad.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I would choose the PC version. I found that previous Elder Scrolls games, most notably Oblivion, have just handled much better with a mouse and keyboard. Plus you've got the added advantage of an active modding community and editing tools.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
implodinggoat said:
1: Control scheme works better on a controller than a keyboard.
If that were the clincher for anyone, although I'm not sure why it would be, just plug a 360 controller in your PC. Problem solved!

LordHotCakes

Feb 28, 2011
thahat said:
krashash said:
Alright, I would love to get the PC Skyrim over the 360, but I'm really not sure how well it will run on my PC. I've thought about using Skyrim as my excuse for building a new rig, but I don't play a ton of games, and thought I might wait a bit for the prices of 6 core processors and such to come down a bit. Anyways, here are my specs:

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40 GHz
3.50 GB Ram
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB
Direct X 9c
Windows XP
Hope to play in 1280x800

I don't care if I can't run it on the highest settings, I just want to run smoothly. Any opinions?

Thanks.
you dont REALY need the core upgrade ( is your core locked? is it overclockable? a 30 bucks cooler and some overclocking might bump you up to your desired amount?)
ram could do with an upgrade, and since ram is DIRT CHEAP > DO IT ( seriusly i have 8 gygs of ram and it cost me what, again less then 30 euro's ? ) (( yes thats 12 bazilion usd, but whatever ) no clue about your card tbh, nvidea stopped making since to me since i was 8 years old.

The cooler upgrade and overclock I agree with (at least, provided that you know how to do that :p ) But as for the RAM... Perhaps you didn't notice, but the dude's running XP. And as I'm pretty sure he's not running 64bit, due to it being so rare that I'm not sure it even exists, it's got to be 32bit. So no more RAM then the ammount stated, I'm afraid. I have XP with 4gb of DDR3 but it only shows 3.25gb, due to it being 32bit. I was going to upgrade to Win7 64bit, but money became a problem... As for the card. It's perfectly fine. One Nvidia's best from the last Gen (GTX 400 Series), so no problems there. If you want to run it at 1280 x 800, you'll be fine. :)

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Bethesda games usually require modding at some point but your PC isn't so great. Bit of a catch 22 but I imagine you'll get the better immediate experience from your 360

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
Upgraded my rig recently. If Skyrim does not look good enough, there will always be a high-res mod or patch. Sweet baby Jesus.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
LordHotCakes said:
thahat said:
krashash said:
Alright, I would love to get the PC Skyrim over the 360, but I'm really not sure how well it will run on my PC. I've thought about using Skyrim as my excuse for building a new rig, but I don't play a ton of games, and thought I might wait a bit for the prices of 6 core processors and such to come down a bit. Anyways, here are my specs:

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40 GHz
3.50 GB Ram
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024MB
Direct X 9c
Windows XP
Hope to play in 1280x800

I don't care if I can't run it on the highest settings, I just want to run smoothly. Any opinions?

Thanks.
you dont REALY need the core upgrade ( is your core locked? is it overclockable? a 30 bucks cooler and some overclocking might bump you up to your desired amount?)
ram could do with an upgrade, and since ram is DIRT CHEAP > DO IT ( seriusly i have 8 gygs of ram and it cost me what, again less then 30 euro's ? ) (( yes thats 12 bazilion usd, but whatever ) no clue about your card tbh, nvidea stopped making since to me since i was 8 years old.

The cooler upgrade and overclock I agree with (at least, provided that you know how to do that :p ) But as for the RAM... Perhaps you didn't notice, but the dude's running XP. And as I'm pretty sure he's not running 64bit, due to it being so rare that I'm not sure it even exists, it's got to be 32bit. So no more RAM then the ammount stated, I'm afraid. I have XP with 4gb of DDR3 but it only shows 3.25gb, due to it being 32bit. I was going to upgrade to Win7 64bit, but money became a problem... As for the card. It's perfectly fine. One Nvidia's best from the last Gen (GTX 400 Series), so no problems there. If you want to run it at 1280 x 800, you'll be fine. :)
oh did not even look at operating system realy XD. but your right htere he would need to upgrade that aswell.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
You seem to have the system for it, and the PC version has the benefit of the modding community. It would seem that it is a much better idea for you to get it on the PC. (it's also $10 cheaper that way)

Apr 5, 2008
Dude, your spec is fine for running the PC version. And in the future, if and when you upgrade, you can reinstall it and play it again on even higher settings. Chances are the only way you'll be able to do that on a console after Sony or Microsoft remove backward compatability is buy it again.

Get the PC version. Mods + Scalability + Keyboard + Quicksaves = Best TES Experience.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
At your resolution, you can probably play it maxed out lol. A 460 is a nice GPU.

My only recommendations are:

OC the CPU if the motherboard allows it (you'll want aftermarket cooling for ~$30). If the mobo doesn't, you should still be able to find really cheap, like $80, mobos that will do it. Get it up to 3-3.5ghz and you'll be great.

Get Windows 7 64bit.

Optional: Buy an 8gb RAM kit

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Going by those specs... Yeah, you might want to get it for 360. Your computer comes in just under the recommended specs, which means it is quite possible for the 360 to give you better graphics than your computer. Unless you really care about mods or don't have Live (silver or gold), I say get it for 360.

Also, don't get 6-cores. Quad cores will do you just fine.

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
spartan231490 said:
Were I you, I'd play it on 360. it was developed on 360 and I suspect it will be less buggy on 360 for a while.
I don't know how you can actually develop games on a console. I could be developed FOR console, but i don't think it can be developed ON a console.
Still, PC version has, mods, quicksaves, & keyboard.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
White-Death said:
spartan231490 said:
Were I you, I'd play it on 360. it was developed on 360 and I suspect it will be less buggy on 360 for a while.
I don't know how you can actually develop games on a console. I could be developed FOR console, but i don't think it can be developed ON a console.
Still, PC version has, mods, quicksaves, & keyboard.
It's easy. all their test play and test running is done on 360

Really, am I the only one who saw the Todd Howard interview?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
It should run "smoothly" on your rig, but be warned that controls are obviously more laid out for pads than the classic keyboard & mouse combo. Just during the initial character creation, things turned rather fiddly... changing weapons in-fight is... well... not that flashy an experience. Stubborn as I am, I am trying to adapt and teach myself the new tricks required, but I am really, really tempted to hook up some gamepad to the PC to see if that will remedy the situation.

Judging from the graphics I've already seen, it just has to be PC. It looks marvelous, much better than Fallout 3 (looking forward to maybe see Fallout 4 happen on this new engine), and XBOX360 and PS3 look pretty much like the PC version on mostly low settings. No terrible texture popups as in RAGE, though.

I'm in no hurry, but once I've finished Skyrim, I'll be more than happy to see what modding madness is available for Skyrim.