PC problems (take it as a challenge for all you tech wizards)

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
My warrantys void anyway, I already gave the thing a good clean, but being a laptop its not all that easy.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Have you patched the game? There was an issue with it literally melting cards when it was first released.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Depends on the computer, different graphics cards run at different temperatures.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
right, few specs: (read from piriform speccy)
operating system: ms windows 7 home premium 64-bit
cpu: Intel Pentium T4300 @2.10GHz (penryn 45nm technology)
RAM: 4.0GB Duel-channel DDR" @ 399MHZ (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard: Dell inc. 0C234M (U2E1)
Graphics: ARI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Hard Drives 488GB seagate st950032SAS ARA Device (SATA)

yeah this ent no gaming pc, my desktops dead and I have very little money, so lets hope you guys can help me fix this!

as for the temperatures... it taking a while to crash now of all times... but they will be poster shortly!

Neo10101

Sep 7, 2009
Sounds like a potential overheating, the game is possibly slowly frying something. Thats why it would have taken a while for the symptom to occur and then everything shuts down. Then it takes some time (heating up again) for the symptom to reoccur.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
Hmm yeah I'm thinking this is an over heat now, I got the temp readings for smart people who understand what it all means ;)

This is when I'm not playing sc2:
cpu core clock (mhz): 499.5
GPU Memory Clock (mhz): 796.5
GPU temperature ('c) 64.0
Fan speed: 30%
GPU Load: o%
Fan Speed: -
GPU Temp, (DISPIO) 63.5
GPU Temp. (MEMIO) ('c): 59.o
GPU Temp. (shadecore) ('c) -163.0
VDDC (v): 1.200

and this is just before death:
CPU core clock (mhz): 499.5
GPU temperature ('c): 96.0
Fan speed: 100%
GPU Load: 0%
GPU Temp, (DISPIO): 96.0
GPU Temp. (MEMIO) ('c): 89.0
VDDC (V): 1.200

hope this is of some use... looks like an over heat to me.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Please tell me those temperatures aren't in centigrade.

If it isn't an overheating problem (by virtue of "I don't want it to be so it isn't") then try removing and reinstalling stuff. Laptops get corrupted data all the time if they get a knock when they're being carried around. Back up saves and reinstall is always an easy thing to try.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I did some searching on the net for that graphics card and apparently early drivers were known to be linked to overheating, have you tried downloading the most up to date ones from ATI?

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
I have indeed, I think its a fan actually, I get the feeling one of them isnt working as it should be.

Kiriona

Apr 8, 2010
If those temperatures are accurate, it's an overheat. Do you have a laptop cooling pad? If not, get one. They're relatively cheap and it helps immensely, since laptops have a bad habit of heating up like crazy and the fans already on them hardly help.

Also, hope that no hardware was damaged... that is another nightmare in itself.

I own a laptop too. Hope that helps... :)

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Search Google, look if anyone else with your model of laptop has been getting the same issues.

Update your video drivers.

Does this ONLY happen when playing Starcraft 2? Or does it do it with other games as well?

;;; Sounds like a cooling problem though, you know, it is starting to be summertime outside.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
That's not an overheat, that's a bloody meltdown.

Only time I've seen worse was an Advantech touch-panel PC installed in the same cabinet as a shittonne of relays and PSUs, with the touch-panel essentially sitting in the middle of a chimney for the heat.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Could just be an incompatibility between ur configuration and SC2.

My desktop can't run WC3:FT for very long without freezing or crashing. It doesn't have this problem with any other game I have.

Not to suggest that this is definitely the problem, buts its one possibility.

EDIT: looking at the gpu temp... its overheating, definitely. time to buy a new laptop. :/

Pecoros7

Jun 13, 2008
Lucifer dern said:
Hmm yeah I'm thinking this is an over heat now, I got the temp readings for smart people who understand what it all means ;)

Your GPU could just about boil water at that point. Different cards will have different max operating temperatures, but nothing runs that hot. At that temperature, you risk damaging not only your card (if you haven't already), but other components as well. Do NOT play SC until the problem is fixed.

The reason the problem doesn't present itself when SC is minimized is that your video chipset isn't trying to display SC. Even if the processor is still running the game in the background, the graphics aren't being rendered. That significantly reduces the load on the processor and therefore the temperature.

If the problem is new, it could come from several sources. The fan may not be operating correctly. If some part of the fan has worn out, it may not be spinning nearly fast enough to cool the card. I once had a blade break on a fan (I'm not sure how that happened) that caused overheating problems. I have also seen heat sinks clog with dust over the years causing them to completely impede air flow. If you can open your laptop, check for any signs that the cooling systems aren't operating at peak performance and resolve those issues first. If they aren't doing the job, a separate cooling system may not be enough to fix it.

The video chipset or processor may already be damaged. If that's the case, your problems may persist even after resolving the heat issue. Laptop video cards are not usually replaceable. They are often built into your motherboard and, as such, will be very expensive to repair. You may be better off replacing the laptop if the board is damaged.

Ulvai

Mar 9, 2010
Lucifer dern said:
and this is just before death:

Hey, now you can make coffee in your laptop! And boil eggs!
Cooling pads. Gaming laptops should always have cooling pads.

no one really

Nov 18, 2009
Lucifer dern said:
Now to me, that looks unnecessary.
I can't really help anyone with any problems, even things like this confuses me. :p