PC problems (take it as a challenge for all you tech wizards)

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Lucifer dern said:
I never concluded it was an overheat problem, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to check temperature ;) (This is why I didn?t post on a teck forum... guys on those things tare people like me apart :p) but as far as I can tell my laptops not getting any hotter than normal, as a side not I actually set it up so there was a fan blowing on the underside of it... didn?t seem to help...
Your laptop doesnt have to get roasting hot to shut down, your processor or another part of your computer could go *OH SHIT I MAY MELT IN A BIT* and shut itself off to stop it from burning to a crisp.

Theres a tool you can use called everest ultimate edition by Lavalays INC (or something along those lines) it will display the temperatures of various parts of your computer. Right now just ticking over my processor is between 30 - 33 degrees, my GPU has an ambient temperature of 32. After playing Shogun 2 it would probably be running at 40 - 45 and its a big expensive graphics card (EVGA GEFORCE GTX 285 if you want to know) with a stomper of a fan in it. Not sure what you may have in your laptop but you may be asking to much of it trying to run a game like that.

Get the tool run it and try using a stress test program (I use heavy load) to see how your laptop copes when its placed under stress. Dangerous temperatures for a cpu are above 70 if you see yours clmbing that high you deffo need to get better cooling. What is your laptop on btw, if you place it on fabric like a couch that could be a factor that it contributing to your lack of cooling. Fabric tends to absorb heat try placing it on a hard surface like a table or a large book and see if that helps.

EDIT: Holy shit dude thats an insane temperature for your laptop to cope with get additional cooling, Id leave it alone for a while 96 degrees c is madness your poor laptop :(

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
It's on a wooden pc desk, recently I've placed it so theres nothing underneath the fans, but that didnt really help...
everything seems to be giving me diffrent temperature readings... techpowerupgpu gave me those rediculouse readings, but it says my machine runs at a solid 63'c most of the time...
piriform speccy says that I'm normally running around 44-55, my fans seem to like keeping it at that temperature, I here them turn on when it starts getting hotter.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
and why does it run at that temperature for about 10 minutes before dying... then act fine after...

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
what happens if you load a level with lots of units moving about? (perhaps edited)
does it crash faster (or straight away)?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Give it a few sprays with compressed air and make sure that the air vents are clear. If you have to, place a book underneath but for heavens sake don't block the vents with the book.

That should reduce the problems you are having to a small degree.

Edit: make sure that the fans on the laptop are working.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
nope, the amount of things on screen dont seem to matter, and it's almost always a sudden crash about 45 minutes in...

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I remember SC2 did have a bug that caused video cards to overheat, im not sure if they fixed in some patch, since it's been a while since that came out. Might want to check that however to make sure.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
If it's overheating that can cause a hard shutdown. The only way to fix that properly is to remove the processor, clean off the old thermal paste and apply new paste. Also clean the fans of dust and debris. (otherwise I have no idea :p)

Apr 8, 2010
Yep your temp is definitely too hot. What you could definitely try is opening up your laptop and thoroughly cleaning out your fans - might take care of the problem. Try google to find out how to get your laptop open and access the fans. However, given the high temperature, I'd rather suspect some mechanical failure of your fans in there, so don't expect a miracle :p

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
right, I've decided to take this thing apart and clean of the indicidual peices, thanks to everyone who helped, if you dont hear from me... I killed it...

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
This is kind of spamming my own post, but I had to say, the problem was fixed, large piece of crap blocking the fan, and a strange error in the laptops setup. All contributed to a really bad over heat problem, thoughts temperature readings where in fact way off... bad software...
Nothing was damaged in the overheat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Repair cost me £50, and I got it back the next day...
I could have spotted the large piece of crap, but the strange error was beyond my computing knowledge.
Over all very happy, thanks to everyone who helped, I'm glad I didn?t have to walk in there going "help! My laptops got something wrong with it!" and getting screwed for every bug in existence...