PC Version of New Deus Ex Developed by "Partner" Studio

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Zer_ said:
id Software's RAGE is developed in tandem for all three platforms. It runs at 60fps on the 360, PS3 and more on the PC. The game looks better than Red Dead Redemption did at its best too.
The Rage engine is very technically impressive, though, and one of it's core design goals was to allow unprecedented scalability - an engine that could be optimised for any platform you chose to put it on, from smartphones to gaming PCs.

Very impressive but unfortunately only available to devs who work with Zenimax (Bethesda) so we'll still see most games using licenced game engines struggle along under the Unreal Engine. Bleh.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Hvati said:
Why can't dev's create the games for PC and then port it to the consoles?
More work that way. Would you rather spend 12 months dev'ing a console game and kicking out a shitty PC port with little effort or 14 months dev'ing for a PC game and then hacking out bits and redesigning a whole shitpot of assets to deal with the lesser processing power and RAM of a console?

TL;DR - a copy/paste port from Console to PC will still work*, a copy/paste port from PC to Console will hit all sorts of limitations that require more work to overcome.

*[sub]for certain definitions of the word 'work'[/sub]

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
Zer_ said:
id Software's RAGE is developed in tandem for all three platforms. It runs at 60fps on the 360, PS3 and more on the PC. The game looks better than Red Dead Redemption did at its best too.
The Rage engine is very technically impressive, though, and one of it's core design goals was to allow unprecedented scalability - an engine that could be optimised for any platform you chose to put it on, from smartphones to gaming PCs.

Very impressive but unfortunately only available to devs who work with Zenimax (Bethesda) so we'll still see most games using licenced game engines struggle along under the Unreal Engine. Bleh.
You're right, but I'm just stating as such. It can be done.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Zer_ said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Zer_ said:

You're right, but I'm just stating as such. It can be done.
Well, it can be done if you're John Carmack. Yet to be proven if lesser mortals can achieve the same.

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
A PC port of a console game? No thanks. I was actually planning on upgrading my PC for this - there's obviously no point now.

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
Now, I have no experience in the field or anything, so I'm most certainly wrong - but I would have though that it should be much easier to develop for PC first and port to console later, since PC games are pretty much inherently scalable to work on a wide range of hardware, and the consoles have a static hardware setup which you can "easily" scale down to and optimize for in the porting process. The different processor archetecture of the PS3 probably causes some issues, but do major studios code at the hardware level nowadays anyway? Isn't it all/mostly done with dynamic link libraries and middleware, which should take care of most of the difference on the hardware level? PC exclusive games (except some of the ones made for benchmarking) rarely seem to have any issues in scaling from a netbook setup to a top of the line gaming rig, while the console ports whose source systems on a hardware level are probably comparable to a mid price office machine for some reason can't be scaled as easily.

May 25, 2010
fisk0 said:
Now, I have no experience in the field or anything, so I'm most certainly wrong - but I would have though that it should be much easier to develop for PC first and port to console later, since PC games are pretty much inherently scalable to work on a wide range of hardware, and the consoles have a static hardware setup which you can "easily" scale down to and optimize for in the porting process. The different processor archetecture of the PS3 probably causes some issues, but do major studios code at the hardware level nowadays anyway? Isn't it all/mostly done with dynamic link libraries and middleware, which should take care of most of the difference on the hardware level? PC exclusive games (except some of the ones made for benchmarking) rarely seem to have any issues in scaling from a netbook setup to a top of the line gaming rig, while the console ports whose source systems on a hardware level are probably comparable to a mid price office machine for some reason can't be scaled as easily.
You pretty much answered the question yourself. The opposite is true exactly for the reasons you mentioned. It's much more reasonable to develop for the static console hardware first, and then port to PC. You can't go on making a PC game for top of the line PC hardware and then realise you have to start hacking off bits and pieces to make it work on the old and restrictive console hardware.