PC Version of New Deus Ex Developed by "Partner" Studio

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
lostzombies.com said:
Denamic said:
lostzombies.com said:
I have no faith in the game regardless. I remember Deus Ex:2 far..FAR too well.
Deus Ex 2?
You're confused.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is Deus Ex 2.

No, you're confused.

Deus Ex - 2000 (fucking amazing)
Deus Ex 2: Invisible War - 2003 (fucking terrible)
Deus Ex 3: Human Revolution - 2011 (no fucking idea)
What have you done lostzombies.com?

Now Denamics' repressed memories are coming back to haunt him!

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Let the record show that not only did I call first on Bane being in the next Batman film, I also called that this fake Deus Ex would be terrible and even specified why almost two years ago.

This will not be a Deus Ex game how fans understand the term.

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Void(null) said:
Andy Chalk said:
Void(null) said:
PC Version
Yeah, I got that. But as far as I know the console version is the only one that's seen the light of day and furthermore, if the console version is OMG THAT GOOD, it's a good sign for the PC release as well.
Name me 5 Console to PC ports where the PC version was "OMG THAT GOOD!" Because I can easily name you 5 Console to PC ports where the Console version was amazing and the PC version was a buggy and broken, unoptimized mess.

Saints Row 2

Brilliant Game but on the PC suffers from massive slowdown when traveling at speed regardless of hardware, dsyncing between players in Co-Op especially while driving. Also requires a processor to be running at exactly 3.2ghz or will speed up/slowdown accordingly.

Silent Hill Homecoming

Buggy and broken beyond all hell. Sound only comes through one speaker during cut-scenes. Buttons change what they do from the menu's. Loading times from hell. Uses only 3 out of 4 processors and prone to crashing... just to name a few.

Resident Evil 4

A PC game that does not support the mouse and no menu option to quit the game? Classy.

Crysis 2

Menu's all in consolenese, no graphic settings outside of the 3 default graphic modes.

GTA 4

Massively processor dependent and bottlenecked, going from 2 cores to 3 gives significantly larger boost than it should pointing to highly unoptimized code. PS3 style "blur" antialising.

Edit: hell I can add you a few more.

Oblivion/Fallout 3/New Vegas

Great games but have the UI from hell. All menu's have been designed for the console crowd and inventory management is absolute hell for the PC. This shows itself big time in New vegas with all the gambling games using arrow keys and you have to use the keyboard shortcuts to do any of the actions because the mouse click detection only works on certain parts of the words.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Terrible Mouse and Keyboard controls and co-op requires an x-box 360 control pad.

Beyond Good and Evil

Messed up sound, Video to Voice desync in cutscenes, terrible mouse and keyboard controls. Requires a ton of fussing just to get it running.

Ninja Blade

Chock full of goodies like it telling you not to turn off your console while saving and the game asks you to press various 360 control pad buttons throughout the game.

Boarderlands

Network code from console hell. Console Menu's and inventory management.

Prince of Persia

All menu's in consolenese. Keyboard controls are hell. Game is very much intended to be played with a 360 pad and makes no qualms about it. Graphic options consisting entirely of "Low, Medium or High" and in game display options of "adjust your brightness and contrast!"

I could go on, I mean I haven't even scratched the surface of games that were good on the console that suffered massively on the PC due to poor porting.

As for Console - PC ports that do it right I will even help get you started. Batman: Arkham Asylum... now all you need to do is find 4 more. Good luck.
Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Darksiders: Wrath of War, Prototype, Transformers:
War for Cybertron, Dead Space, Dead Space 2 etc.
Also, I remember some of the Nixxes' ports - LoK: BO2 & SR2 were good; Defiance - terrible. It's gonna be just a port. Nothing special, as the guy from the article said.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
valkeminator said:
Brother Pain said:
Right, so game is developed for console first (not surprising, but still not good)
Unfortunately, most of the games we have today is mostly geared to focus on Console first... I'm quite disappointed to be honest. It is acceptable I guess considering the market situation now, but I hope someone out there finally mastered the art of porting games, or a game engine that allows easy and optimal porting between PC, 360 and PS3...

I challenge for those engineers out there to make porting disaster a myth!!!
id Software's RAGE is developed in tandem for all three platforms. It runs at 60fps on the 360, PS3 and more on the PC. The game looks better than Red Dead Redemption did at its best too.

OT: I'm only mildly worried. I feel that their best move now is to release some sort of short trailer showcasing some of the PC exclusive features, maybe the inventory system, configuration menus, etc...

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
ZeppMan217 said:
Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Darksiders: Wrath of War, Prototype, Transformers:
War for Cybertron, Dead Space, Dead Space 2 etc.
Also, I remember some of the Nixxes' ports - LoK: BO2 & SR2 were good; Defiance - terrible. It's gonna be just a port. Nothing special, as the guy from the article said.
To the best of my knowledge Bioshock was not a Console to PC port. It was simultaneously developed for Windows and the 360 using a modified version of Unreal Engine 3. The "Port" was the PS3 version of the game.

Darksiders suffers from control issues, little to no graphic options and those that do exist like vsync are broken. You cant use the keyboard if a gamepad is plugged in, and you cant remap the gamepad buttons. Control pads other than the 360 pad have problems being detected.

Transformers: War for Cybertron. Keyboard keys can not be remapped and the game does not allow you to edit your controls. When you plug in your controller, the game will automatically map the buttons, which can result into horrible controls. The game has X-axis and Y-axis sensitivity differences, Y-axis seem to be more sensitive then X-axis.

Dead Space I did not play but I saw a ton of complaints that the smoothness of the console controls was replaced with a clunky and awkward feel.

I'm not saying any of these were bad games. I am saying they are bad ports. The greatness of the games themselves shines through how wretched the ports themselves are.

Unoptimized code, terrible controls, lack of settings, bad UI and the general lack of consideration or care for the Mouse & Keyboard, or the power of the PC.

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
Yay, yet another game born on PC being developed for console users first.

Anyway, Deus Ex was great but it came out more than a decade ago and I doubt Human Revolution will be anything more than an HD simplified Deus Ex, which is a shame.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
lostzombies.com said:
Denamic said:
lostzombies.com said:
I have no faith in the game regardless. I remember Deus Ex:2 far..FAR too well.
Deus Ex 2?
You're confused.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is Deus Ex 2.

No, you're confused.

Deus Ex - 2000 (fucking amazing)
Deus Ex 2: Invisible War - 2003 (fucking terrible)
Deus Ex 3: Human Revolution - 2011 (no fucking idea)
What have you done lostzombies.com?

Now Denamics' repressed memories are coming back to haunt him!
lol I never managed to repress it, it gave me a nervous twitch it both elbows though!

Musiclly enhanced

Sep 8, 2010
Skorpyo said:
Sooo...

"Awesome new Deus Ex, which could possibly re-ignite the series, is being P.C.-ported by one of the worst studios ever."

Fan-fucking-tastic. I'll just go kill the last remaining hope I had and call it done.
i may be wrong but arnt most PC gamers really looking forward to this game and for their copy of deus ex on PC?
and looking at the game title im worried.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Console ports to a PC SUCK because of the interface. Borderlands is the perfect example. ME 2 was better. Fallout and Oblivion were unplayable on a PC without mods.

A PC interface is a mouse and keyboard and 18 inches from the screen. A console interface is a controller at 10 feet. You can't possibly have the same interface and expect it to work at all.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Well thats it then, I was already seriously considering giving this a miss from the trailers and previews... but now we know its a dodgy port I'll definitely not buy it, at least perhaps until its £4 on steam in a few years.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
As strange as it sounds, it might be a good thing.

Talented PC programmers are somewhat lacking at the moment in Montreal with Ubisoft and Bioware hiring massively all the time.If Eidos were bright enough to use external talented people instead of "whatever they could find" locally, it's a good choice imo.

Also, there's already a good deal of people working on the game right now, look at the picture ;
http://www.eidosmontreal.com/teams

All these people are there just for creative content and console playability, there's more people doing the "grunt work", he did say all creative direction came from Eidos, isn't that a good thing ?

Ben Hussong

Mar 24, 2011
Why is there all this animosity between PC and Console gamers? * speaking as a dirty peseant console gamer here, but i do occasionally game on my PC*

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I consider this mixed news. This is a wait and see purchase for this PC centric gamer.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Ben Hussong said:
Why is there all this animosity between PC and Console gamers? * speaking as a dirty peseant console gamer here, but i do occasionally game on my PC*
I don't much get it either. I think people telling PC gamers that "PC gaming is dying" does not help. Might be the source of the hate. I personally prefer PC gaming with the only console I own being the wii. To each their own I say. More people playing games is good.

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Ben Hussong said:
Consoles tend to lose very little except graphic fidelity when a PC game is ported to consoles and even then, the quality of the end result will at least be as good as any console-native game. On the other hand PC loses a hell of a lot when a game is console-native and then ported to PC because the system spec budget curbs development ambitions. Had Grand Theft Auto been made for consoles first, there would have been no Grand Theft Auto even if the series won it's major fan-base on Playstation. Real-Time Strategy games are the only genre where PC-to-console ports have been complete failures recognised by most people. As first-person shooter migrated to consoles, only PC players noticed the drop in quality; the expanding console player-base didn't, they were just glad to be able to sit on a sofa and play deathmatches with friends.

The animosity from PC players is that we don't all have high-end machines. We go through cycles where our brand new comp is in the mid to high range and then after a few years it isn't, it's playing older or more simpler games and they are still good. These are games which can be made with smaller development teams, smaller budgets and smaller specs; we know good games should not be hardware limited and yet that is precisely what console-ported games represent. They have been limited by hardware and have suffered for it, compromises have been made that didn't have to be.

So if hardware isn't the problem, what does that leave? Only the consumer. Console players do not demand better; when they eventually get benefits that PC players have enjoyed for years such as online play or updated content, price-tags are attached to these things which were previously free and then they are re-branded as propriety services or 'DLC'. Console players are happy to pay for something they didn't have before, PC players are pissed to have to start paying for something that we know we've already paid for in the asking price on the box. This isn't a step forward for us, it's like history has reversed and we're now going down the alternate route it could have taken in the 90s if only it hadn't had to compete with the technical expertise of the user-base.

We had LAN and we could configure this to work over the internet, so no propriety online service or forced peer-to-peer. Now games are increasingly taking those things away from us as well as mod tools, dedicated servers and everything else that meant when we didn't like what publishers were forcing on us, we changed it ourselves.

All because console players don't demand more.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Well thats my preorder cancelled, can't be arsed to make the PC version yourself then you aint getting my money.