Penalties for disconecting during multiplayer games?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Bad Jim said:
You could finish the game with bots and see who wins. If a player merely has a bad connection, the bots replacing him will win about half the time. But if he ragequits, the bots replacing him will mostly lose.

Though that doesn't stop people who start 30 minute games when they know they'll be leaving the house in 20 min.
I might be in the minority here but I'm not a big fan of that either. If I wanted to play against bots, I'd be playing single player.
That's not quite what I had in mind. I was thinking that if someone disconnected on you in a 1v1, you would be kicked out of the game but the game would continue as a bot vs bot game. Just to see if he was ragequitting or not. You wouldn't see the game finish, but your opponent might get a few black marks against his name if the bot taking his place always lost.

Toxic Sniper

Mar 13, 2013
Dark Souls has kinda made me reconsider my more lenient stance towards disconnects. I once had a match where I killed a phantom, ran up to the host, begin whacking him, and then BOOM he disconnects right when I'm about to kill him. When you get a disconnect from the host, you don't get any humanity or souls, which means that disconnecters are actually depriving invaders of both their time and winnings.

In the next souls game, I think disconnecting should at least give invaders the souls and humanity they would have gotten with a win. If the invader disconnects, it should give the host (And any summons) the appropriate number of souls and humanity. I don't think it should punish hosts (Because of possible connection problems), but disconnecting certainly shouldn't punish the people who didn't disconnect like it does now.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Well i mainly play Black Ops II Zombies and i think that anyone who disconnects[footnote]Before anyone mentions connection issues then know that I'm cool with that, some people have bad internet, but that's not the issue, if you have a bad connection the game just times you out and it lets the other players know you timed out rather than just quitting[/footnote] during a game should be deranked and banned for like an hour from joining another game. I've lost count of the times I've been in a game and someone has been downed once and then just quit the game. GAHH!!one!1 so annoying.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
As someone who plays a lot of Dota style games,leavers should absolutely be punished. In any kind of competitive match without drop in/drop out style matchmaking, having people leave is a huge kick in the ass of the team they were on. It can basically turn the game into a cascading failure they have little chance of coming back from due to no fault of their own. People who ruin games for any reason deserve a loss, and doing so repeatedly is grounds for punishment, no matter the reason. If you have things randomly come up all the time, you need to plan better. If your internet is bad, then you need to strongly consider playing, as dropping constantly still ruins the game for others even if it's not malicious. Everyone should be allowed to have a good multiplayer experience, and frequent leavers are ruining that.