Penalties for disconecting during multiplayer games?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
So anyone who has played some sort of multiplayer game has has this happened to them. People who disconnect during matches or games . It's really annoying . But my question is , are developpers doing enough to discourage this?

My inspiration for this thread is injustice : gods among us . I have started playing it online . When i first started 1 match out of 2 my opponent would D/c if i was winning . It's not as bad now , but it still happens occasionally . I find that not much is being done on this game to discourage it .

My favorite game that penalizes ragequitters is Persona 4 Arena . For those who don't know . People who D/c too often , have their name marked in red. So everyone knows they d/c often . What happens is those players can't find matches because no one wants to play with them . I find this is a good way to not only discourage people from disconnecting , but also branding those that do .

Now on the flip side . Real life . Yes , sometimes things happen in real life that can distract you in the middle of a game or match . Multiplayer doesn't have a pause button . So what happens then? Well i think , there should be a forfeit button . This way , if you can't stay in a match , you forfeit , giving your opponent the win and taking the loss . While avoiding any negative consequence of disconecting. This is a fair middle ground if you have to leave suddenly .

Anyways what do you guys think? Are developpers doing enough to discourage disconnecting in multiplayer games? What's a good punishment for those who do ? Would you like forfeit buttons in multiplayer games ( i know some do ). What game if any has a good way to penelize players that disconnect ? And are you guilty of ragequitting/disconnecting on online games?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I like the way that FIFA does it.

If your opponent disconnects, you get the recorded win 3-0 and the opponent gets the 0-3 loss. No disconnection stats, no "time-outs", no fancy tricks; just a win for the person who played and a loss for the person who left. Simple as that.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Forfeit button sounds good. I usually can't sit down and game for long because I'm always getting called up somewhere. As does the Persona idea of marking their names in red so you know to avoid them.
I used to have problems with my connection and it'd kick me out of games, so getting punished might be a bit cruel if it's just connection errors, unless there was a way for the game to tell the difference between quitting out and lagging out.

Perhaps banning them from playing online for the next few games? Not sure if any games already do that but I know how many people love playing online and shouting down their mics like idiots.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
People don't ragequit ArcSys games much if BB and P4A are anything to go by. Not one ragequitter so far and I even perfected this one Yukiko. People are actually NICE in BlazBlue. Like giving tips after some games nice and even giving combo buttons for your character.

UMVC3 on the other hand... If it's not ragequitters, it's post match taunts, teabaggers, people rage messaging etc etc GOD FORBID YOU PERFECT SOMEONE. Christ.

I have to blame X-Factor. People get PISSED over the blatant comeback mechanic. You want to see a salty winner? Play a few games of UMVC3. Like so:

Well we have to address games like LoL or DOTA. DOTA has a justified leave system if I remember correctly. If a few people leave the game they give everyone else permission to leave too and call the game null and void. That is really good.

I hate people who have limited time to play a game then queue for Ranked when they only have 20 minutes before they have to wash the fucking dog or something. Especially in this new meta of people not surrendering ever. If I have an appointment at like 12PM I will not start a game past 10:30AM for example. I leave more than an hour open and so should everyone else.

Though there are times where you REALLY have to AFK. Like the time where my kitchen caught fire mid game. Yeah. I actually typed "kitchen on fire, sry guys" in chat. Hopefully they understood. It was fine in the end.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
The most logical thing I can think of is that a disconnect should at least count as a loss, so there is no actual incentive to do it. Maybe it should count as a double loss, so a losing player concerned about his ratings will have an incentive to stay in the game.

I think harsher methods like naming and shaming or temp bans are too harsh though as some people simply have dodgy connections.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
I hate people who have limited time to play a game then queue for Ranked when they only have 20 minutes before they have to wash the fucking dog or something
Team games like that should have an option to put the game on hold for a minute and have the next person to queue for ranked take over their char.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
themutantlizard said:
there shouldn't be a punishment for disconnecting because

A: we have lives outside of gaming

B: what if there was a connection error in your system?
There should be some sort of penalty, just not an excessively harsh one. While there are some disconnects due to faulty connections or real life, it's often due to selfishness, because the quitter doesn't like losing, because the quitter is concerned about his ratings or because he started a game he knew he wouldn't be likely to finish. It's a good idea to deter that sort of thing.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Punishing players for disconnects is retarded beyond belief, if they leave you get the win and that is an end of it.
Why the fuck should anyone be forced to stay or worse yet be penalized because they might get a connection problem...

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
For stuff like fighting games or shooters it's harder to justify punishing people because unlike DOTA or somesuch, nobody's going to wait 5 minutes for a reconnect when they could just jump into another minute and a half/two minute match.

The one who stays should always get the win, that's just obvious. And maybe something like a low priority pool for those who keep on leaving? In Ranked matches at least.

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Halo: Reach does it the best. Leaving counts as a loss, but having a consistent non-quitting streak automatically enters you in an exp lottery. These are good incentives/penalties that would only really affect try-hards, not people who regularly get off because life gets in the way.

Also: If you quit games A LOT in a short amount of time (Like 10 times in two minutes without getting disconnected or finishing a match), you get a warning from the game to stop quitting so much. Failing to comply results in a 15-minute ban from matchmaking.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
I remember halo reach had a pretty cool "slot machine" system. Where you got more XP the more matches you finished in a row. If you want to rank up fast, don't disconnect. Simples.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I'm someone who never plays one game long enough to get competitive I'm often on the losing side but I'm all for instant loses and red marks against repeat ragequiters and same goes for ppl who a dodgy net connection since those ppl shouldn't even be online in the first place.

Tazzman

Apr 20, 2013
As much as I'd love for those childish losers who constantly disconnect, DOTA 2 is especially bad for this, to be publicly humiliated, I can't see it being fair to those who legitimately have connection issues. Also the idea of a forfeit button just seems like a feature waiting to get abused.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Any game that punishes somebody for having their internet disconnect can fuck right off. Punishing somebody because their connection dropped is the dumbest fucking thing you can do and the best way to get people to never buy/play your fucking game.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Mr.K. said:
Punishing players for disconnects is retarded beyond belief, if they leave you get the win and that is an end of it.
Why the fuck should anyone be forced to stay or worse yet be penalized because they might get a connection problem...
You don't always get a win . That's the point of a forfeit button . Faillire to sync is not the same thing as disconnecting ( I.E turning off your console ). Also while i like giving people the benefit of the doubt , you can't deny that people rage quit. And it's really annoying .

Tazzman said:
As much as I'd love for those childish losers who constantly disconnect, DOTA 2 is especially bad for this, to be publicly humiliated, I can't see it being fair to those who legitimately have connection issues. Also the idea of a forfeit button just seems like a feature waiting to get abused.
I don't think the " they are going to abuse it " is a good reason not to use it. People boost all the time , it's going to get done anyways . This at least helps honest players ( the few of them).

Tazzman

Apr 20, 2013
krazykidd said:
Tazzman said:
I don't think the " they are going to abuse it " is a good reason not to use it. People boost all the time , it's going to get done anyways . This at least helps honest players ( the few of them).
The way I see it forfeiting and disconnecting wouldn't be too different, the other player gets a loss recorded or no stats are recorded what so ever. Besides someone who has to leave constantly because of life events is no better than someone who rage quits in the eyes of the people they are playing online against

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Chalk it up to a loss / player receives no points/credits/currency from the match.

Anything more then that is excessive. Most disconnects are from people who genuinely had Internet trouble or a real life event they needed to leave the game for. They don't need to be punished for that.

If it's a team game, the game should immediately replace the DCed person.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I like brawls solution if someone drops out they are replaced with a high level cpu

no punishment but it doesnt spoil the fun ether