Penny Arcade's social responsibility

secretkeeper12

Jun 14, 2012
Imperator_DK said:
secretkeeper12 said:
No, it shows you need to be smart with what you do with your money. Everything you can do with it exists within a wider social context.
Well, I'm not really one to seek to gauge the effects on world politics and global environment when buying a copy of Wolfenstein: The New Order.
Digital distribution has really made the ethics of buying games a non-issue. But the actual computer you play it on is something you can put some thought to. Getting the right specs is already undertaken by gamers. Can't a companies global ethics be a factor to consider as well?

If said society is exploitive, you need to address this.
Why?[/quote]

Because they have every right to the same standards you take for granted. No one can earn a good life without the political and economic backing of those more fortunate. Conflict-free minerals aren't even charity. It's literally just ensuring workers are paid a fair wage for their labor.

For a company that has taken its social responsibility seriously, I direct you to Fairphone [http://www.fairphone.com/] and Intel [http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/corporate-responsibility/conflict-free-minerals.html]

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Nobody has a duty to do anything.
They don't have to do anything if they don't feel like it.
Just because you can change the world, doesn't mean you have to.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Vivi22 said:
tippy2k2 said:
No. No they do not.

The same argument I give for celebrities, sports stars, and billionaire tech moguls; it would be really really really really nice of them to share their wealth and help people less fortunate than them but there is no one who should be "required" to do anything like that. It's their money and their time; they can do whatever the hell they want with it (you know...within the bounds of the law obviously).
Actually, I'm going to go right ahead and disagree with you right there. When your actions lead to the direct result of harming innocent people, you absolutely do have a responsibility to try and change that. And we are all culpable when it comes to how our electronics are produced. The problem is most people won't bother ever doing anything about it so nothing gets better. Either because they don't know about the problem or they choose to ignore it because they don't think they have any responsibility to their fellow man. It might be nice to fall into those categories, but they're still bad and the latter is specifically immoral.
Electricity alone ends up harming people. If your city runs on coal, you've probably aided the death of a coal miner somewhere. If your city runs on oil, you probably aided the death of someone overseas at some point. Everything we do in life is going to end up harming someone indirectly since this world is connected to each other. If I have a responsiblity to help out everyone I've indirectly harmed, I'll not have time to do anything for myself because I'd guarantee something I do every day ends up harming someone somewhere somehow. Fucking butterfly effect shit is happening every day.
All I can do is leave it up to people better equipped and better suited to help out people in need than myself. I'm one person, a very very small cog in the universal machine, who cannot honestly affect change in how society works. I know my place, I know what I can and can't do.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
The makers of Penny Arcade have no more responsibility to these issues than they have to any important issue. It is not on the shoulders of Penny Arcade to solve all the problems of the world because they happened to stumble into d-list celebrity status. And the penny arcade guys do a lot of good for their position as d-list celebrities.

No one, especially not a d-list celebrity, can effect a huge amount of social change. You have to pick your battles or your lack of focus will mean you accomplish nothing, and Penny Arcade has decided to focus their efforts somewhere else. Just because they don't hit your favorite issue doesn't mean they are shirking their social responsibility.

And frankly, I find it more than a bit disgusting that people like you judge and condemn people like them because they don't meet your narrow minded definition of "socially responsible".

krazyIvan

Feb 9, 2015
secretkeeper12 said:
Most gamers have heard of the webcomic-turned-franchise Penny Arcade. Published by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins, the duo have generated a substantial audience with their work. With this influence, Mike and Jerry have the potential to change the world.

But they don't do it.

Not say say that they've done nothing. Child's Play is a charity they have founded, but with a mission goal of buying patients video games they support a more sinister purpose-namely, the civil war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Conflict minerals-gold, cobalt, tin and wolfram mined by groups whose labor is forced by militant groups-are found in all our devices. The computer Jerry types on, the tablet Mike draws on, and the countless products the gaming community buy are all the result of this exploitive practice.

As celebrities in the gaming community, Jerry and Mike have a responsibility to respect human rights in their actions. This means addressing the very real scourge of conflict minerals and pressuring companies such as Nintendo to adopt due diligence guidelines. I could find no mention of these in Penny Arcade's archives.

Do you think Jerry and Mike have a duty to support ethical consumer practices? Leave your thoughts below.
Nope. Not at all.

I believe that for a couple reasons. Putting aside the aforementioned "um - they are the functional equivalent of 'b-list' actors as far as the game industry is concerned" that other people have mentioned...

One - You are using a false equivalency - "As celebrities in the gaming community, Jerry and Mike have a responsibility to respect human rights in their actions" and "Conflict minerals-gold, cobalt, tin and wolfram mined by groups whose labor is forced by militant groups-are found in all our devices" therefore "they support a more sinister purpose-namely, the civil war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo."

EXCEPT you are missing an obvious problem - not ALL consoles, PCs, and tablet manufacturers get rare earths from conflict zones. Notably - ASUS (who happen to have built my laptop, my tablet, and all the major components of my desktop PC save the processor) has a very specific "Social Responsibility" screening element towards choosing suppliers. Other notable manufacturers such as Dell, Intel & Sony all do as well.

Therefore - your basic premise is somewhat flawed.

Two - No single person (or even group of people) should EVER be allowed to decide what *any other person* should or should not champion as a social cause. It's that simple. I firmly believe in free thought and free speech. In fact - my opinion on that can be summed up in the bumper sticker on my wife's car. "If you believe you can tell me what to think, I believe I can tell you where to go."

What positions they choose to support with their time and effort are theirs. They have no more DUTY to support any position than I do. If they WANT to support a position, its fine. But choosing to support a specific position should never be a DUTY.

Going back to your original statement - "As celebrities in the gaming community, Jerry and Mike have a responsibility to respect human rights in their actions." Actually they *don't* have that responsibility. No where does it state that ANY "celebrity" comes with the "responsibility" to "respect human rights". If it did, there would be a lot fewer A**holes who happen to be celebrities.

We'd like to THINK celebrities should be better people - but there is nothing implicit about celebrity that says they are.

So - um - No. In fact, I wholeheartedly REJECT your premise. If they WANT to do say something about ethical sourcing? Fine. But nothing requires them to...

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
I'm not saying nobody should change the world for good, but...why should anybody have a responsibility to change the world for good?

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
@secretkeeper12 You know you are championing 'Superman's Dilemma', right? (i.e.: If Superman doesn't need to eat or sleep; doesn't he have a moral obligation to save people all over the world 24/7?)

The fact is: the world is busted on so many levels that it is nearly impossible to consume any product that hasn't harmed someone on some level. The best the folks at PennyArcade can be expected to do is try to make existence for a few people a little less shitty (Which they *do*). Now, if you want to champion conflict-free raw materials for computing: feel free. Nothing's stopping you.

Just don't try to make it someone else's responsibility when it isn't.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Penny Arcade isn't some militant mine foreman in the Congo.

They're a game journalist site.

How you think those two activities are linked is indicative of a sorry state in personal rationality.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
Why specifically Penny Arcade? Wouldn't it be better to have a more wide-spread news source bring awareness to this issue? Penny Arcade is first and foremost a site for gamers. Not everyone who uses a cell phone/tablet/laptop/desktop/anything with a circuit board is a gamer. Wouldn't it be more effective to run an ad on major channels during prime time? How about local and major news doing a story on it? Hell, if you drum up enough excitement (ala Kony 2012 or any other popular viral campaign ever), the news will probably say something just to seem hip and "in." Why call out just Penny Arcade? They're not really popular enough to touch the lives of everyone with an iPhone... Call out Facebook. They'll get up in arms over anything if they don't have to go anywhere to do it.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
As an individual with no clout towards this topic at all, I fail to see how someone like Penny Arcade would have any more clout in such a situation. We can't go over there and slap their hands ourselves. Your best bet would be to start a call-a-thon to the US government to stop the import of "blood" materials, run a petition, etc. Physically do something that would raise enough like minded people behind your voice. I wish you luck..

As for myself it was very difficult to have said the first paragraph first because all I wanted to do was answer this thread as like a Captain Planet villain...

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Either this guy is a good troll or a nutjob. Either way, Penny Arcade guys are not morally obligated to do anything.

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
secretkeeper12 said:
Aaaaand this is why SJWs are scum.

Create a charity designed to help , push all proceeds towards sed charity without taking any for yourself, and eventually some SJW who wants to feel superior will somehow find something to try and say you are terrible because of

If you put even 1/10th the brain power into figuring out how to actually solve the problem in the Congo that you did in trying to elevate yourself by knocking someone else down, you might come up with something plausible.

-Doc (as written on a Toshiba laptop, after playing my Xbox 360 on my 48" Samsung tv. Am I socially irresponsible too?)

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Over, what, 50-70 years of constant humanitarian aid to africa hasn't fixed a damn thing that's wrong with it. Blood diamonds, villages selling eachother out for slave labor on coco plantations, and raping preadolescent girls because some guy said it will cure your AIDS... that's just the tip of the iceberg.

The sad thing here is it doesn't matter if the PA guys supported or did not support the Congo mineral groups. It wouldn't change a damn thing because there are other groups that already do, and will continue to do so. Africans themselves perpetuate this shit since nobody ever seems to get their act together long enough to maintain a stable civilization.

Africa, the Congo, and everything sandwiched in it's borders have so many problems that it is ridiculous to single out PA, which is already ridiculous because they probably aren't even aware of where their electronic's base components come from, much like most people in the first world.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
I'm sorry but them problem with Nintendo and there reediness guidelines on youtube is not Penny arcades responsibility. Hell this can't even be tied with gamergate or Anti side. This has been a issue for 2 years now and they have finally kill themselves on the youtube space with this shared channel program.

Jan 27, 2011
Question. How do a pair of guys who started a charity that buys games for kids in the hospital have anything to do with Conflict Minerals?

They're not MAKING games and using conflict minerals to do it. They have no tenable link to conflict minerals at all. The only "link" is that they're famous, and help manage a charity that buys games for kids (and it's the consoles that might maybe have conflict minerals, not likely the games, most of which are CDs and DVDs).

If you were calling out Nintendo or Sony or Microsoft, maybe this would have a point. Except that I'm pretty sure that Microsoft and Nintendo both addressed this a few years ago with "We make sure our stuff isn't from the Congo" and "We get our console parts from outside suppliers and we tell them not to use conflict minerals in our stuff" respectively.

So again, my question is why Penny Arcade, who doesn't actually really have a link to Conflict Minerals, have a social obligation for this? Yes, they could speak out about it, sure. But honestly, I doubt anyone who COULD do anything about the problem will take their condemnation that seriously. The best they could hope to do is make people more aware of the problem.

You wanna solve the problem? You pressure the guys doing the bad thing.

You don't tell Justin Bieber he has a social responsibility to condemn companies that dump toxic waste into rivers. Instead, you boycott the companies that do that shady stuff until they either go under or change.

That's my 2 cents Canadian (sorry about how low it is, can't be helped).

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Haven't they stood up for people who were abused by a companies representative in the past? Pretty sure that's above and beyond any moral obligation they have.

If you think there is a problem with where we get some things to make our electronics, write Congress. They have 100 times more power to do anything about it than some chump on the internet.