Penny Arcade's social responsibility

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
FalloutJack said:
BeerTent said:
Oh. My. God.
You know, this is why the Escapist reeeaaally needs a 'Like' button for posts.
We should petition for one. Because there's quite a few posts around here where I'm like, "THIS IS AMAZING! I want to give this man internet points... But I cannot give a little love here. :< SadTent"

Sadly, OP's post would not have gotten a +1. But, hey... I was nice to him, right? Even if he probably TL;DR'd me. Which is a shame, because I poured out my lovely reddish-beer heart for him.

Andysweden

May 21, 2014
secretkeeper12 said:
As celebrities in the gaming community, Jerry and Mike have a responsibility to respect human rights in their actions. This means addressing the very real scourge of conflict minerals and pressuring companies such as Nintendo to adopt due diligence guidelines. I could find no mention of these in Penny Arcade's archives.

Do you think Jerry and Mike have a duty to support ethical consumer practices? Leave your thoughts below.
If you watched the documentary Apple's Broken Promises, you'd know it was far from a simple thing to stick to these guidelines. Even the global leader Apple cannot control where it's minerals come from because the problem is a wide sweeping grass roots one.

This is not a black and white issue, with no solution that doesn't require a massive change in the mindset of entire governments.

It's easy to sit on your arse and adopt a SJW stance using your mighty keyboard, but please at least educate yourself to the problem before condemning people like the PA guys for not doing something, when quite frankly there is very little they can do.

Maybe you could start by getting rid of all your electronic devices, that'll teach em!

Vampyre

Aug 19, 2014
Um, no. They don't have to do anything. If it matters to you, step up and do something about it. Stop waiting for someone else to do the work while demeaning them for not doing it for you.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
In a philosophical sense, maybe they are responsible. Really, I suppose everyone is responsible for all the crimes they didn't prevent, all the good they didn't do.

In practical terms though, no, that's dumb. Also I really don't understand why the specific combination you're bothered about is Penny Arcade and conflict minerals. Why not, say, Intel and conflict minerals? Big Oil and global warming? Lunncal and cancer? (I was just too busy playing videogames to find the cure. Sorry about that.)

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Should THEY have that responsibility? No, because it would accomplish nothing. This seems to be a recurring theme in gaming, that the community sees internet icons as being much more important than they actually are in the grand scheme of things. Even the most popular and most sophisticated blog site with webcomics and videos is still just a blog site with a webcomic and some videos. It's not reasonable to expect them to be able to take on such responsibility, nor is it reasonable to argue that by using a computer they are directly harming people harmed by conflict minerals.

That said, I have experience in the semiconductor industry, and the social problem of conflict minerals absolutely cannot be understated. But it's a problem that goes way, way above the heads of bloggers and media figures and into the realm of geopolitics.

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
You know who I really blame for not helping the Democratic Republic of Congo? Two guys who produce a successful web-comic. I'm not really satisfied with my web-comic artists until they help solve at least one large scale geopolitical crisis. Step up your game, web-comic artists.

In other words, it's not their responsibility to regulate the tech industry. If they did something about it, it'd be nice but they can't be blamed for not calling upon themselves that responsibility. If you feel very strongly about it maybe send them a nicely worded e-mail politely ASKING for their support instead of implying they are somehow at fault for not dedicating themselves to solving every breach of ethic of big gaming companies.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Is...is this because of the Dickwolves thing?

It is, isn't it.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
On a related topic, one of the two banned an entire company from their convention because one was being rude on the forums, even after he got fired.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
secretkeeper12 said:
Did I got it correct?
Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins are responsible for conflict in Congo?
Oh, silly me of course not. Let me ask this one more time.
Are western consumers of electronics responsible for conflict in Congo?

On a sidenote- are you happen to be from [checks profile] ah yes, from US
It is often easy to tell if one is from US on the internet.
Especially if one fits description of SJW.
How?
Often they posses strange mixture of grandiose delusion, arrogance and self-hatred.
It is if they believe that they are only ones who can save the world and at the same time they are the reason why world needs to be saved in the first place.
Especially if they are white and talk about non-whites.
They grew up in country where non-whites are considered "minority"
So when they see non-white person they automatically think they are minorities everywhere.
As if non-whites are incapable of taking care of themselves and dealing with problems on their own.
[sub][sub]I know this observation was explained crudely, but I'm still working on it- one day I will find a way to express it in more elegant way, so please don't go too harsh on me[/sub][/sub]

My opinion on Congo is original and often not considered.
You may not agree with me, but at least consider this as an option.
So who do I consider responsible for conflict in Congo?
Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins? No.
You and me? No.
Western consumers of electronics? Again no.
Only ones truly responsible for current state of Congo are local warlords and their armed thugs.
I know sounds crazy that people waging war are the ones responsible for it.
But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, right?

kyp275

Mar 27, 2012
As the OP is obviously using an electronic device of some kind that also rely on various other electronic devices to make his post, I say he should proabably "check his privilege" and hop on a row boat to Africa and put an end to the conflict mineral business himself! (hand-built slingshots only)

I mean, we wouldn't want to see him turn into a hypocrite or anything like that right?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Res Plus said:
Unless he's some sort of spoof thread genius, in which case, well done sir!
All signs point to him being serious. Not the best idea in the world.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
No I don't think they should be held accountable...

But someone who should is the BlameSociety guys... their love of beer and board-games is a mockery of alcoholics in the far reaching lands of Guatemala and Laos... they are bad and should feel bad.

[small](-Am I doing this right?)[/small]

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
StreamerDarkly said:
Sadly, I'm not surprised to hear of this news. Penny Arcade has been on a collision course with moral bankruptcy ever since they let go of their most esteemable staff member, Benjamin Kuchera. In predictable fashion, they seek to obfuscate their true motives of perpetuating patriarchal dominance with the obvious smokescreen of a children's charity. I'll wait for the final word from the revered journalist P. Hernandez, but it doesn't look good.
Oh my god, why aren't people quoting this.

this is a 10/10 post.

please have my children.