Pentagon Bringing Back the Blimp

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
This has me wondering where they're going to get the helium for a project like this. Isn't there a shortage right now?

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Dear God, Please let this happen. In the Name, Amen

OK, this is awsome. We would save so much on fuel costs and transport more. Also, Force the aircraft industry to improve the planes. Plane could be for getting somewhere fast, Blimps to get somewhere cheaply.

Also, Blimps are safer.

DVS BSTrD said:
I'm not sure a flying watermelon is that much more stealthy.
They are still testing. We will get there soon.

Hero in a half shell said:
snip

Weren't blimps phased out because they were too slow, although that information comes from the zeppelin episode of Archer, so I don't know how reliable it is:

snip
Oh, also I thought we don't need stealth spyplanes anymore, thanks to satellites we can film and photograph people anywhere in the world at any time without any risk of being shot out of the sky, that's why the SR-71 Blackbird retired.
No, they were phased out because of the Germans were using Hydrogen instead of Helium (though the low-grade "rocket fuel" paint did not help either). They got an unfair reputation for being unsafe.

Onto satellites, there are issues with relying solely on them. They are much higher up in the atmosphere so there are more issues with cloud cover. Also, against popular myth, we cannot watch every part of the Earths surface 24/7. There is a way to change orbit but not always to go exactly where you want to. A SpyBlimp can stay in one region and observe that area for months, uninterrupted. The strategy is to have multiple systems in place and choose the one best suited to the situation.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Wait, I know where this is going

Yeah, obviously. But wait, this is the American side.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Zen Toombs said:
>>>Was ist das?
Tis Castle Wulfenbach, from the glorious webcomic, Girl Genius.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
This is little more than an absolutely gargantuan, easily penetrated target.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Sansha said:
This is little more than an absolutely gargantuan, easily penetrated target.
There's a "your mom" joke hiding in there somewhere, but I'm glad that the entire Escapist community is unwilling to stoop that low.

But seriously, how does this even work? Unless it's going up against a) blind pilots or b) inferior tech, I have no idea how it'd be even slightly viable.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
The Sphyrna carrier blimp from Ace Combat 3 Electrosphere (Yes a fighter jet carrier in the form of a blimp) was the first thing that occured to me.

I wonder if anyone remembered how ridiculously hard it was to shoot down this thing.

Either way, I'm interested in seeing how this will turn out, although the idea of a giant blimp trying to spy in the sky is as effective as assassinating while carrying a sign saying "Shh I'm an assassin" on your back.

Spartanmk1

Feb 14, 2011
Kinda reminds me of the Triangle sightings in Phoenix in the the late 90's. Quiet object flying overhead at night with 3 lights on.

In fact it fits perfectly, this is very likely the cause of that, or at least a prototype was.

There has been speculation about a Stealth Blimp for ages now. Kinda neat to see the theory come to fruition.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
Isnt the world going to run out helium this century? Or is that bit of trivia not supposed to be in my head?

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
War aspects usefulness: Negative.
Intelligence gathering: Relatively Unless. Possible use as communications craft. Easy target
Transportation of military supplies: Viable but weight limit will not allow for flight of the M1A2 Abrams MBT. Not viable for wartime shipping as slow speed will negate lifting capacity. Speed of aircraft and vastly greater capacity of ships, well whats the point.
Can not fly in heavier turbulent wether. (Most likely can't).

Really this is only good for peacetime shipping. It would be of great use to civilian aspects. Such as construction, lifting sections of radio/tv/cell towers much larger than a helicopter could.
Cross continental shipment of large machinery. Turbines, generators, other large pieces of things.

Really just is an out of warzone/peacetime craft. Though it has it's uses out of them.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
doggie015 said:
An airship that pumps helium into compressed tanks to control it's altitude... Not a bad idea until one of the tanks bursts...
Yeah, and then all that helium leaks out and... Makes you even more buoyant?

You do bring up a good point; you need some kind of b-plan for if you can no longer control your buoyancy. Unless you were thinking of something like the Hindenburg, in which case I'll remind you that was caused by hydrogen, not helium. Helium doesn't burn.

My concern would be that helium is actually quite scarce, and a non-renewable resource. There's actually a worldwide helium shortage as of last year, and i'm not sure they ever got it sorted out.

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
The blimp doesn't have to be stealthy, because that isn't it's role. For surveillance in an area where you already have overwhelming air superiority (afghanistan, iraq, any insurgency) Then it's perfectly fine. And with a payload of 60 tons, you can stick one hell of a surveillance package on it. Throw in a couple of rockets and your end result is a predator with unlimited range, and huge amounts of ammo. Also what insurgent weapon can hit something at 12,000ft+? Because it's hollow and no engine, IR wouldn't be able to lock it. Stick some LED's on the bottom and now it is virtually invisible during the day, and will be invisible at night.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Robert0288 said:
The blimp doesn't have to be stealthy, because that isn't it's role. For surveillance in an area where you already have overwhelming air superiority (afghanistan, iraq, any insurgency) Then it's perfectly fine. And with a payload of 60 tons, you can stick one hell of a surveillance package on it. Throw in a couple of rockets and your end result is a predator with unlimited range, and huge amounts of ammo. Also what insurgent weapon can hit something at 12,000ft+? Because it's hollow and no engine, IR wouldn't be able to lock it. Stick some LED's on the bottom and now it is virtually invisible during the day, and will be invisible at night.
I imagine the primary issue is simply the height, let alone all the other cloaking factors. They will not have weapons that can reach nearly half that height.

All we need is for it to have a giant display on the bottom "OBEY".

Also: Fuckyeah, airships!

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
Zen Toombs said:
Tis Castle Wulfenbach, from the glorious webcomic, Girl Genius.
I recognized it. =D
doggie015 said:
An airship that pumps helium into compressed tanks to control it's altitude... Not a bad idea until one of the tanks bursts...
The air force uses liquid oxygen right now, for breathing oxygen. There's risk for a lot of stuff, but I think they've got most of it figured out.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
teqrevisited said:
If there's been one thing that I've consistently wondered about and cautiously wished for it's a second age of airships.
Me too. Hindenburg aside, the Germans had an incredible safety record with Zeppelins. Just look at the Graf Zeppelin. That thing did some serious mileage. If the British, Italians and Americans copied them more closely, airships wouldn't have got the bad rap that they did.

Also if America -the only source of Helium at the time- gave some of it to the other nations, there wouldn't have even been an issue with the Hindenburg.

Then we might have had a bit more of this:

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
My first thought

OT: seems kinda interesting, I remember the old blimp hangers my dad worked at on El Toro airbase. It's kinda silly but I always liked blimps.