Pentagon to Rewrite Evolution, Create Immortal Life

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
sartezalb said:
Well hell, perhaps the internet's not so pointless. Thanks!

As far as "human evolution" goes, here's a funny article, [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6057734.stm] but I wouldn't treat it as gospel. Just kinda something to "think" about.

As far as the abuse of technologies, it might be interesting to think on Richard Feynman's statements regarding his work on the atom bomb; paraphrased, his work on splitting the atom was scientific work, but his work on making a feasible bomb was engineering work. Does the distinction matter? I think that's ultimately a matter of personal opinion.
Interesting article. I may read The Time Machine again to grasp what's in store for my descendants, lol! I think the author is probably overreaching a tad, but it does cause me to wonder the extent to which phenotype changes in complex organisms resulting from natural selection can be predicted before they occur. Usually, it seems they are rationalized after the fact.

That is a very good point raised by Feynman's work. I say the distinction does not matter- science is a tool, and in practice there is no reason to disassociate it from its specific applications- such as in engineering. But the question is philosophical in nature- as you say, a matter of opinion. I'm just stating mine. Also, vanilla is the best flavor of ice cream.

New information, thanks again!

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Hmm...Immortal hyper-evolved human who was part of a military program? Can anyone else say Wolverine?!

Anyways, why, um, is this information going public? Jesus, I guess Obama really was speaking the truth when he promised transparency =P.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Maybe I will finally have a carrot that won't rot within a few weeks.

Perhaps they might finally find a way to stop my shoes from stinking?

DarkBlood626

Nov 9, 2008
Every one thinks they will create a monster and the world will end with teeth and claws all I see is the end of freedom molecular kill switch put it in humans and bingo ultimate leverage ""what?s that some one is talking about the next revolt wha ho he is dead aww back to work every one""

Can you imagine what would have happened if Hitler or the next equivalent had/has that kind of power?.....I can but I don?t want to.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
In other news, Air Force officials have released blueprints for what appear to be these. [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=111204]

(Seriously, when did DARPA start channeling old Magic: the Gathering fluff? I can't decide if this horrible, awesome, awesomely horrible, or horribly awesome.)

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
i like how they have it programmed so if it falls into the wrong hands, it has a killswitch.

I wonder if it will take hackers more or less time to break than the DRM?

presidentjlh

Feb 10, 2010
They laughed at me when I said video games will be useful.

Who's laughing now?! Post-apocalyptic video games will help me learn how to survive!

All I have to do is touch first aid kits, and I'm a-ok!

Raiha

Jul 3, 2009
they will need a hell of a lot more then 6 million to create life that doesn't die. six billion would be a step in the right direction, but will still need a couple of decades to actually prefect it. i wish humanity would just stop trying to eliminate nature in all things. we are nature. do not deny the greatest thing about humanity, embrace it and enjoy the fact that we can fit into the natural order of things. (i am perfectly aware of the irony that i am posting this on an interned message board, thank you very much)

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
I thought weirdness came from Japan...
How long until they make synthetic life-forms that serve the purpose of sex dolls?
Or maybe they'll engineer werewolves or maybe even catgirls next.
On the other hand: What's the frickin point of this?

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Crossborder said:
So... They out of ideas or what? There's nothing more usefull to research? Like a cure for cancer? Or new fuel? It does sound awesome, though i doubt it will work anytime soon.
Agreed, time easily could be put into more useful research..

But on the other hand, if you were a guy with a massive cool lab.. usefull things would be the last thing on your mind.. lets create some zombies!.. or forcing things to evolve with the power of being god at your hands.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
ARE WE NOT MEN?!

that'll be the new slogan for the the anti cyborgs

(big kudos to whoever got that)