Pentagon to Rewrite Evolution, Create Immortal Life

jubosu

Aug 9, 2009
Not going to lie i would get bionic limbs if they were handing them out. i would take the risk

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Turns out the pentagon is working on a new superhuman soldier, and we all know how those end up, right?

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Can they make it so we can make ourselves into an undying upgradable machine? That or we are going to Terminator style soon.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Some thing just tells me that this is the starting point of a zombie apocolypse.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
I grew up thinking 'wouldn't it be cool if all that stuff in the movies was real?'
Apparently so did these guys.

A part of me still says, 'that'd be freaking sweet if they can pull it off'. The rest of me just wonders why I even bother paying taxes if this is the kind of lunacy they're spending it on.

Needless to say; Good luck DARPA, and remember to place weapons, amunition, and first aid kits in poorly hidden locations just off the main hall and in every service area. Not because I think it'll help, just because it'll make me feel a little better knowing you watched the rest of the movie.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
So... They out of ideas or what? There's nothing more usefull to research? Like a cure for cancer? Or new fuel? It does sound awesome, though i doubt it will work anytime soon.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
John Funk said:
eradicating "the randomness of natural evolutionary advancement."
Humans have been doing this for thousands of years, it's called domestication and crop farming. Horses, cats, dogs, cows, pigs, war elephants, wheat barley, bacteria producing insulin, human hormones, medicine etc. only exist today because we essentially made them that way. Natural selection (ei. evolution) would have killed off those species pretty easily if it weren't for us humans. The only thing that changed is now that we know how genes, cells, biology works we've managed to streamline the process for faster, better, more varied results.
Cool beans.

britterly

Sep 16, 2009
So the world ends in 2012 in the hands - or claws - of genetically engineered mutant velociraptors designed by Pentagon.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
So long as we don't get a Monsanto style "patented genome" and they didn't bother with something retarded like a killswitch, I'd be happy.

Seriously, why do you need a killswitch?
Just don't make your creation bulletproof!

ParadoxBG

Dec 24, 2009
Uh. Eugenics much?

Get it through your head. Attempting to control evolution is moronic. You can't see around the bends in the road. If you breed a people completely immune to sickle-cell anemia, then you've bred a people destined to be wiped out by malaria.

I'm sorry, I'm not usually prone to serious condemnation of things that aren't Watchmen-movie-sequel related, but don't. Do. It. Arrogant pricks.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
zorgonstealth said:
Hiphophippo said:
This is pretty exciting news. In my head science only exists to

A-Blow shit up
B-Create things that should not be
C-All of the above

So I'm anxiously awaiting the results.
Hey, what's that? A computor your typing on... yeah, cos you can create computors without science... your a fukin moron
I'm not sure what to say. Either something about you being daft and not understand my post, or maybe I'll make a comment about the bolded part of your quote there.

Irony at it's finest.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Axolotl said:
-snip-
Is this a refrence to the Red Dwarf novels? I though I was the only person on the planet to read those.
Indeed it was a reference to the Red Dwarf novels :D
I couldn't think of anything else to write, but the Genetically Engineered Life-Form came to mind.
Thankyou Red Dwarf for saving me! :D
[small]Haaauuuuuuuu~[/small]

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
((looks off camera)) No, I really can't see how this could possibley go wrong. government super project to create artificial life. I mean, what could go wrong? its not like we are talking about the umbrella corp here. you trust your government, right?

((flees for the hills and begins to stockpile food, ammunition, condoms, and episodes of ZP))

johannmaximus

Feb 2, 2010
Well, of course it's a good idea, but if we do achieve immortality, there are three ways I see the world going.

1. Storing immortatech (bad name, I know. Just work with it) in an inaccessable vault, so nobody can use it. We still make babies, and no overpopulation. But why have it in the first place, if nobody can use it, unless the technology is very expensive, and only available to the uber rich.

2. Everyone is immortal, and sex becomes illegal, so we don't overpopulate the earth with our immortal babies. Nobody is happy anymore, because their only partner would be their hand, and various toys and objects that they can find.

3. We kill everyone at a certain age, allowing us to have immortal technology in us, while still being able to make babies. But, immortality becomes invalid. Why have the technology if we're going to kill everyone?

I prefer if we don't have immortality, so we can still make babies, and we don't overpopulate the earth. We could live longer, but that's about all i see from immortatech. As for the supersoldiers, well, we could end up with every video game scenario that has the words super and soldier in existance. Or, we could see a dynamite/machine gun/airplane scenario again. They were made to make war obsolete for their various reasons, but they just made it worse. Or they could actually end war, but that's highly unlikely.

If DARPA does make life, but not super soldiers, then this could revolutionize how people are healed, and probably cut down medical bills by 90%.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Most of the cells in your body "self-destruct". It's called apoptosis.

-- Alex

Liiizard

Feb 5, 2010
*sigh*
Guys, I hate to disappoint, but there is no way this will ever work. I'm studying biochemistry, and the complexity of the biochemical structure in a BACTERIUM is staggering. Engineering an amoeba is completely beyond our abilities. Once you start dealing with multicellular organisms, you'd be better off investing your money in a sunwalking project.

This is just another of many examples of government agents understanding just enough about a scientific field to think they're on to something, without really knowing enough to realize how dumb the idea is. It's like a first time physics student that thinks they've discovered a perpetual motion machine. See also: MK ultra and the Air force project to create Jane from "Ender's Game". Yes, someone actually read that book and thought, "We can do that." Probably the same guys that came up with this nonsense.