Apr 27, 2009
zorgonstealth said:
Hiphophippo said:
This is pretty exciting news. In my head science only exists to

A-Blow shit up
B-Create things that should not be
C-All of the above

So I'm anxiously awaiting the results.
Hey, what's that? A computor your typing on... yeah, cos you can create computors without science... your a fukin moron
It also has a spellcheck, but you acting like a cretin is far funnier.

OT - If they make it so I can buy telekinetic abilities, then they can keep immortality...

Who am I kidding? Americans won't even let games out of their borders, why would they let the rest of the world in on their super-soldier program?

Heathrow

Jul 2, 2009
To all those saying or thinking "Man should not play god". Man invented god and if man wants he can bloody well play god too.

There's no inherent immorality in bioengineering life even if we need to be careful about the precedents we set (See Gattaca et al).

Ataxia

Feb 4, 2010
Well I think Nalesnik has a point, we beat evolution a few times with crops and animals and such, but...Nature has still beat us a few times like when we make artificial enviroments, we always forget one thing but I find this fascinating and totally not a waste of taxpayer money that should be spent on things that can be accoplimished within say this next century or two...or ten...Well it's still cool but what I heard was 'It eliminates old age but you can still die from accidents' type thing. I just wish our scoreboard against nature wasn't like Humans Two Nature Elevenity Billion.

Interestingly enough this could go along with the negative side of life expectancy going up, old people are retired if I believe and they can't reproduce after a certain point. The unemployment rate goes up and population as well. Not to mention that social security was like you get your money at say 63 and the life expectantcy is 62.

Evolution works the way it does FOR A REASON that obviously we can't see. And maybe fighting it isn't the best idea (Or trying to making movies a reality cough cough oh and whos the dumbass that suggested evolution is random? Natural Selection not random selection, of what you NEED and removes what you don't, which is why humans aren't the strongest animals ever). Ok I'm gonna stop before this gets any longer...now...no now...OK ok now.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Random Bobcat said:
Perhaps this is a precursor to humans becoming immortal [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6217676/Immortality-only-20-years-away-says-scientist.html],
You'd have to cure cancer first.

Ataxia

Feb 4, 2010
johannmaximus said:
Well, of course it's a good idea, but if we do achieve immortality, there are three ways I see the world going.

1. Storing immortatech (bad name, I know. Just work with it) in an inaccessable vault, so nobody can use it. We still make babies, and no overpopulation. But why have it in the first place, if nobody can use it, unless the technology is very expensive, and only available to the uber rich.

2. Everyone is immortal, and sex becomes illegal, so we don't overpopulate the earth with our immortal babies. Nobody is happy anymore, because their only partner would be their hand, and various toys and objects that they can find.

3. We kill everyone at a certain age, allowing us to have immortal technology in us, while still being able to make babies. But, immortality becomes invalid. Why have the technology if we're going to kill everyone?

I prefer if we don't have immortality, so we can still make babies, and we don't overpopulate the earth. We could live longer, but that's about all i see from immortatech. As for the supersoldiers, well, we could end up with every video game scenario that has the words super and soldier in existance. Or, we could see a dynamite/machine gun/airplane scenario again. They were made to make war obsolete for their various reasons, but they just made it worse. Or they could actually end war, but that's highly unlikely.

If DARPA does make life, but not super soldiers, then this could revolutionize how people are healed, and probably cut down medical bills by 90%.
But the part you don't realize is that people can't make babies after a certain age (Am I right or wrong here?) when life expectancy goes up it is true population goes up but unless this is the kind of immortality that makes people youthful forever then I'm thinking people will age as they do but forever which reminds me of Flemeth from DA:O where if she doesn't change bodies she is immortal so she'd age and age and became senseless at a point. So my main point is that when people age they're bodys functions will shut down such as reproduction and senses. So immortality has negatives.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Awwww I want to live forever...

Why couldn't they have been working on this before I was born?

But then again, who wants to live forever?

Ataxia

Feb 4, 2010
THANK YOU Liiizard for pointing out something that should be what 'common sense' is for I see you have it :D but apparently the DARPA never got any. Anything is doable but that doesn't mean you should do it. Like sticking your hand in a fire JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
http://earlvagary.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/resident_evil_zombies5x.jpg

That is all that will come of this. You think I'm kidding? <url=http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html>I'm not.

Either that or we'll all be living in cyberpunk corporate dictatorships.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
"brave new world" thats all I have to say.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, its not so bad. No reason to hold of science just because we are afraid. I just hope they don't go over board.

EDIT EDIT: some people think this is Immortality for humans, but it sounds there are making a creature who is immortaly not humans. Thats what I got from it anyways.

Ultracake

Aug 18, 2009
Immortality is not a realistic goal. Aging is just cells replicating to a point where an essential part of them is divided so many times that it stops the cells working properly. IIRC the part of the DNA that does this is called a talamir. If we use genetic modification so cells have an increased talamir length, then they will, generally live longer. Until different parts of the DNA degrade instead of the talamir. It is theoretically possible to re-write the portions of DNA that cause the talamir to be important. But the sheer task is going to be nigh impossible.

Imagine if you will, the entire human DNA sequence. The scientists will have to comb through that, extensively testing every single DNA molecule to find the parts that make the talamirs necessary for cellular stability. This would mean thousands of expensive and time consuming tests on living cells.(most likely human embryo's) Not to mention the fact they have to CHANGE THE DNA in the cells to test it. As far as i can tell DNA is very, Very small, Coiled and prone to differentiation. One mistake would need the entire experiment to be re-done. Also there's the fact that talimirs are a necessary part of DNA. Finding a workaround for that is almost certainly NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WITHOUT A MIRACLE OR INSANE LUCK

If they get through that, Then holy hell. Good work. Now all they have to do is sequence the DNA combination they found into a living person, In-vitro fertilization. The chance that the DNA sequence wont work is extremely high. Meaning that they will have to start again, Essentially from scratch.

The process will require a FUCKTON of human egg cells, Time, Money, and intelligent minds. And even then the chances of it going right are nigh on impossible.

It's a big waste of money. in general. and the ethical debate will be horrendous.

The best I'm going to hope for this testing is potentially finding cures for genetic diseases. Or at least a way to keep future generations from developing them.

I, For one. Would like to see how they're going to attempt this. I'm sort of a mad scientist myself.

Ataxia

Feb 4, 2010
Dr Ampersand said:
poiumty said:
Allow me to address the anxieties underlying your concerns, rather than try to answer every possible question you might have left unvoiced. First, let us consider the fact that for the first time ever, as a species, immortality is in our reach. This simple fact has far-reaching implications. It requires radical rethinking and revision of our genetic imperatives. It also requires planning and forethought that run in direct opposition to our neural pre-sets. I find it helpful at times like these to remind myself that our true enemy is Instinct. Instinct was our mother when we were an infant species. Instinct cuddled us and kept us safe in those hardscrabble years when we hardened our sticks and cooked our first meals above a meager fire and started at the shadows that leapt upon the cavern's walls. But inseparable from Instinct is its dark twin, Superstition. Instinct is inextricably bound to unreasoning impulses, and today we clearly see its true nature. Instinct has just become aware of its irrelevance, and like a cornered beast, it will not go down without a bloody fight. Instinct would inflict a fatal injury on our species. Instinct creates its own oppressors, and bids us rise up against them. Instinct tells us that the unknown is a threat, rather than an opportunity. Instinct slyly and covertly compels us away from change and progress. Instinct, therefore, must be expunged. It must be fought tooth and nail, beginning with the basest of human urges: The urge to reproduce. We should thank our benefactors for giving us respite from this overpowering force. They have thrown a switch and exorcised our demons in a single stroke. They have given us the strength we never could have summoned to overcome this compulsion. They have given us purpose. They have turned our eyes toward the stars.
Finally my question is answered [http://www.hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2005-06-07]
I see somebody is trying to impersonate the Combine. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you pretty much saying we should wipe our own Instincts like the urge to reproduce so we can kill ourselves? If you remove the urge to reproduce we could go exstinct (instinct:exstinct..Wonder if theres a connection...) as a species besides you can't stop progress so there's no need to fight instincts and this is what we have SENTIENCE FOR to choose between instincts and what our brain says.

Inmate13

May 5, 2009
Look, all I'm saying is that if they can program Coloson to shut down when shown a picture of a chicken then I'm sure they can program a similar fail-safe in their little molecular affront to the Lord

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
So, they're going to create creatures that have cancer from inception? Because what causes cancer is a lack of cell death.
Seriously, this shit will not work.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Well good thing i read about surviving Robot uprisings and Zombie invasions. Now I shall surely be prepared when 'the immortal lifeforms' rebel and destroy their creators

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
"Tamper proof"... the horror movie equivalent to that line would be, "Everything's going to be alright."

Seriously, Funk, this has got to be a hoax.

Ultracake

Aug 18, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
So, they're going to create creatures that have cancer from inception? Because what causes cancer is a lack of cell death.
Seriously, this shit will not work.
It doesn't work that way. Cancer is caused by cells with pretty much randomly damaged DNA replicating. What they are doing is not the random DNA fucking up that causes cancer. They are searching for the particular genes that allocate cell division damage, and trying to create a workaround for it.

I'd bet my life this is how they'll do it