People are upset over puppet boobs

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I am still salty as fuck the Alliance didn’t get the Sethrakk as an allied race in Battle for Azeroth. Salty. As. Fuck.
That's cause alliance=noob silly. Blizzard sees the truth in things. What we really need now is a 3rd race of elves for both sides.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
You could just look in the replies to the tweet in the OP. There's a fair bit of people being upset because of muppet tits there.
Went through like the first 100 or so that twitter displayed. The actual number of "upset" tweets can really be counted on one hand. The rest are accepting/joking/confused. This is peak mountain out of a mole hill for culture war points material.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That boob puppet reminds me of the amigo's from the game Heart of Darkness; just why.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
You could just look in the replies to the tweet in the OP. There's a fair bit of people being upset because of muppet tits there.
Or the OP could give the topic a headline that actually describes the content of their post. Or have the content of the post match their headline.

Which they should, since they brought the subject up.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Before clicking in, I have to ask the question: are people upset because boobs were added or because they were reduced/removed?
Neither really. Remember that there's a non-zero number of people that are upset by literally anything and this is no different.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It usually shows up because in anthromorphic art/designs, the fastest visual cue for differentiating the two genders in anything for teenagers and above is slap a pair of decent D-cups on the female model. So of course then pedantry corner pipes up with “Reptile not mammal” and it just snowballs into absurdity from there.
D? That's quite conservative - are you sure you don't mean somewhere around F-K?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Who gives a fuck? There cartoons on the Western and Japanese side that have done much worse and better. What makes a puppet show special?

No one answer that last one.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Was considering maybe playing Wow for the first time if I could be a cool snake person but then I saw they weren't a playable race and dropped the idea.
I think there were tentative plans to make Nagas a playable race when one of the expansions was being developed, but it proved unworkable (or at the very least they gave up on it).

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think there were tentative plans to make Nagas a playable race when one of the expansions was being developed, but it proved unworkable (or at the very least they gave up on it).
I want to say it was Burning Crusade but they had major issues with how to assign and display leg and foot armour, mounts and a few other things.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Before clicking in, I have to ask the question: are people upset because boobs were added or because they were reduced/removed?
Upset that they exist. Since the claim was you could count everyone upset on one hand out of the first hundred replies, I thought I'd look closer myself.

The top three replies shown to me are:

"It doesn't matter if the actor wanted her big boobed character to be in a plate bikini. This is still a sexual stereotype is hugely problematic within the hobby that should not be perpetuated in a show for children who will not get the 'joke' (Which is actually just sexist)." - I'd call that upset.

"Finally! A show for me, a white cisgender man who loves big boobs and sexism and btw is really tired of DnD being so "PC" these days if you catch my drift. Happy to see you guys back on track and creating the content I love" - I'd call that upset and sarcastic about it.

"Uh, y'know how you've had a few really good years because you made your game easier to get into and visible bc of streaming and open to all, and people feel welcome and excited about being a part of it? The titty puppet is like a bucket of cold water on ALL that." - Again, upset.

Two after that:

"Could you maybe rethink the bottom part of this image a bit? You know, since we are trying to be an inclusive and not purile and gross hobby?"

That's followed by one upset about something else - the Kuo-Toa player naming his character "Slippy Richardson" aka Slippery Dick (fish pun and sex pun simultaneously).

A few more down and at this point I'm just a bit over a dozen replies down and , umm, have more than 5 (around 7) that seem to be upset that a black woman given free reign to design her character as she saw fit and having a custom puppet made to match her description created a female character with large breasts and revealing outfit.

After that it seems about evenly split between people complaining about puppet boobs, people picking on people for being upset about puppet boobs, and finally some other more general commentary. And more people taking offense at Slippy Richardson, after having actually seen the show.

If you can only find 5 examples in the first hundred replies you really, really aren't paying attention.

I want to say it was Burning Crusade but they had major issues with how to assign and display leg and foot armour, mounts and a few other things.
See, my response to that would be to just not give them leg or foot slots, and then give them a racial bonus to bonuses given by equipment so that it washes out. After all, they moved to more standardized stat layouts on gear in BC so this would be a lot more manageable as opposed to in vanilla where there was a lot more "weird" gear.

This isn't really worth my time in looking up, so I'm just guessing at the "mentality" here: Puppet = Muppet = "for kids"; puppet + cleavage = trying to sexualize children's media
More D&D is supposed to be explicitly inclusive and diverse and boobs are sexist.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren