People Quitting Jobs, Walking off Cliffs, and Hit by Cars Playing Pokemon GO

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
OK, let's break down each case, shall we?

Man quitting his job: The headline alone made me think that Fallout 4 addict that wanted to sue Bethesda, but him quitting his job to go on a 2-month adventure for a personal experience is really neat, best wishes for the guy, but I do have concern if he has family the job had to provide from.

The guys on the cliff: Yes, the game encouraged them to go there and the signs and fences disencouraged them to go there, but they went anyway, I am split on this one because the influence the game can have over one individual, but these guys decided going through a cliff was worth the risk. Speaking of encouraging:

Kid being hit by a car: I really don't like the mother's response on the "game took her there", she decided to go there, if she had just went to the sidewalk and stayed there as common sense dictates, this could've been avoided, I know I said kid, but a 15-year old should know better.

vdrandom

fsck
Dec 18, 2013
Happy for the guy who took the adventure, it is quite awesome indeed if it's his thing and he has enough savings to keep himself fed.

The other three though. Beautiful, we need more games like this. Let the idiots rid the world of themselves, by their hands. Part of natural selection really, if you consider evolution like people mention here.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
A CLIFF?!

Okay, calling it now: South Park guys do a Return of Chimpokomon episode...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Pokemon Go is a social experiment. It has effects of helping people with issues dealing with the social aspect of life, it also has a social darwinism side-effect.
None of the incidents involving harm/death by way of stupidity, e.g. walking into traffic/off a cliff after ignoring FUCKING WARNING SIGNS and a fence, are the fault of the app. Its the fault of idiots not heeding the Gyarados looming overhead.
The guy who quit his job? I can't fault him and I hope he manages to be the best like no one ever was.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
FalloutJack said:
A CLIFF?!

Okay, calling it now: South Park guys do a Return of Chimpokomon episode...
Love it. The Japanese will try to make every American kill themselves so they can take over by having uber-rare Chimpokomon on places like over the sides of cliffs and high buildings, burning buildings and dangerous animal habitats at zoos! It'll fall on Kenny and Stan to snap everyone out of it...well maybe not Cartman.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
"The Pokemon game took her across a major highway at 5 o'clock in the evening, which is rush hour."

hah. seriously. that's like blaming getting hit by a car because you chased your basketball into the street on the basketball. it's only an acceptable excuse if you're under 10 years old.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Charles Darwin! I CHOOSE YOU! Quick, use your "Cleaning Up The Gene Pool" Attack!

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Y'know, this is the kind of shit you'd expect to see in the Cookie Clicker joke headlines.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I suspect those "Don't text and drive" commercials might be making a few tweaks soon.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm sorry.. Pokemon Go is stupid. I downloaded it... it's OK. The only upside is it should create some good stories for the Darwin Awards. Please, let all the morons walk off a cliff, it only helps people smart enough to not fall off a cliff. Let all the losers quit their jobs so the jobs may go to people who actually give a shit about working and contributing.

Edit: Also, just a point of interest, it's simply overlaying simplistic little animations onto the world when you user your camera. I was actually just annoyed that a Charmander was a tiny little thing on my desk when we all know it should be much larger.

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
The weird smile in the face of the girl that got struck by a car says it all... It had me in stitches... Get it? HAHAHAHAHAHAH

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Yeah, I think I'll have to add my voice to those saying the mother is being rather stupid about this. It is of course understandable for someone who nearly lost their daughter to blame anyone but the daughter herself, but the fault doesn't lie with the game. In fact, the game had virtually nothing to do with it. She'd finished playing the game any simply ran across the highway without properly making sure it was safe (it seems this was near the top of a hill, so the curvature made it difficult to see very far).

The message here shouldn't be "Pokemon Go is dangerous," it should be "be careful around roads, and don't cross a highway if you can't see far enough to gauge the safety".

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Saelune said:
I suspect those "Don't text and drive" commercials might be making a few tweaks soon.
Tennessee is already on it https://twitter.com/TNHSO/status/751581851270180865/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Honestly its the same as texting, if your stupid enough to wander into traffic or off a cliff because you can't take 30 seconds away from your texting time to be safe...well I hate to say it but its kind of your fault if you end up dying, WITH that said though I do think the company could do a few things to prevent such stories...(particularly more awkward ones like the Holocaust memorial thing)

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Pirate Of PC Master race said:
geizr said:
Evolution spent a million years developing our physical senses and mental faculties to be able to perceive and respond to imminent physical dangers around us. However, the elimination of common sense thinking from our society has, apparently, successfully undone all of evolution's best efforts in mere days. Good job, human race; you'll successfully kill yourself off one of these days, if you keep trying.
You mean it is still at work?

Each elimination brings human race closer to perfection.
No, each elimination brings the human race closer to being perfectly aligned with its current circumstances. Remember: evolution is not progress towards a goal; it's progress away from a starting point.

That said, this is kind of sad- does the game not have a pause function?

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Recusant said:
That said, this is kind of sad- does the game not have a pause function?
It's an Always Online game that updates regularly, so no, there are no pause button.

People need to learn and realize you don't have to stare the screen constantly. Personally, I would just put in my pocket and used earphones on one ear, and play it like I have the Pokeplus add-on.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
1. This is actually the most reasonable of the three IF AND ONLY IF he has a lot of money secured away and doesn't have people depending on him. And he can reliably get a new job. So that's a big if.

2. I'm reminded of how Olenna Tyrell talked about how her husband died because he was so busy looking at his hawk he rode his horse off a cliff. Then again, according to the article the cops thinks at least one of them was drinking, so this at least makes some kind of sense

3. This is just stupid to the nth degree. I still get nervous crossing the main street in my town, I don't know how someone can be dumb enough to go onto the interstate.

The problem isn't with Pokemon Go, it's with people. People are stupid.