People Quitting Jobs, Walking off Cliffs, and Hit by Cars Playing Pokemon GO

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Recusant said:
No, each elimination brings the human race closer to being perfectly aligned with its current circumstances.
I would tend to agree, Considering that we are talking about attributes like "paying attention to more than 2 thing at the same time" and "ability to judge risk and reward", perfection would be better choice word.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Charli said:
Parasondox said:
Humans. We just be dumb sometimes. How the hell are we the superior species, again?
I think a couple of cases, countable on one hand vs millions of others using it responsibly will preserve us a few extra years.
Then the machines will rise up against humanity.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm not numb to suffering, it's hard not to think these same people would have found another way to stupid themselves to death/unemployment without Pokemon Go. The game just made it more evident.

Personally, I'm waiting for Dark Souls Go. Where player death is a feature, not a bug, and it's totally your fault because you just need to git gud.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Another news coming in but this one could have been very very serious.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36818384

Mistaken for burglars and shot at by the own of the home while in their car. Lucky no one got hurt.

Pokemon Go is here in the UK and I have already seen sone very stupid things happen here. Or that could just be London in general. Normal service resumes.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Jesus, I've heard of getting into a game before, but this is ridculous! I really want to believe humans are smarter than this, but the way things are going these days... I'm not so sure...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Parasondox said:

Mistaken for burglars and shot at by the own of the home while in their car. Lucky no one got hurt.

Pokemon Go is here in the UK and I have already seen sone very stupid things happen here. Or that could just be London in general. Normal service resumes.
*sigh* of course that would be the United States, and Florida at that. I wonder about the people of my country.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Recusant said:
[???]

That said, this is kind of sad- does the game not have a pause function?
Yes and no. The game does nothing without user input. It's like Xcom. Sure, animations will play, but nobody's going to get shot at if you just sit there and do nothing on your turn.

Someone I started watching recently did a thing on Pokemon Go. He knows some people who feel it should be banned. His side is that it shouldn't be banned, Go has a right to exist. I'm not so callous to say, "hurr durr, Darwin! Lol Gene pool thinned!" But at the same time, we need to remind people that Go isn't saying, "run across a busy street." She chose to do that on her own. A game is incapable of forcing you to do something you don't want to do. If Go told me theres a shiny Magikarp in the harbor, it's my decision to jump off the bridge to get it.

On that topic, I've noticed something that positively infuriates me. You notice how the Mother blames the game? Not her daughter? I really shouldn't use this as an example, but do you notice where the blame game goes every fucking time? Its never on the person who made the stupid decision. It's always something, or someone else. I can't stand that shit.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Eric the Orange said:
Parasondox said:

*sigh* of course that would be the United States, and Florida at that. I wonder about the people of my country.
Question. In Florida, which is more dangerous? The wildlife or people? Because I hear more dangerous shit involving humans than animals in Florida and that place is a swamp. No offense(?).

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Parasondox said:
Eric the Orange said:
Parasondox said:

Question. In Florida, which is more dangerous? The wildlife or people? Because I hear more dangerous shit involving humans than animals in Florida and that place is a swamp. No offense(?).
36 year FL native, never once felt unsafe here. Sporadic incidents of stupidity and violence doesn't equal the whole state is highly dangerous. =P

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Parasondox said:
I was born and raised in Florida (and still live here). I would say the people are definitely more dangerous than the wildlife. If you're talking about alligators, they mostly stay away from people unless someone starts feeding them (which is a crime). As far as snakes are concerned, treat them like any other dangerous snake (watch where you're stepping). Sharks aren't worth commenting on, don't go swimming at dawn or dusk when they feed otherwise unless the RNG gods really hate you, you'll be fine. Panthers are so rare, you're lucky if you even see one, let alone come into confrontation with one.

Florida is a big state that a large portion of the country decides to retire to, so you end up with a big 70+ population, combine that with several collage towns (so throw a bunch of 20 somethings who don't like the way the 70+ population drives). The state also gets a large portion of it's revenue from tourism (add in people who like the idea of sex on the beach and think rolling around in a vulnerable situation during shark feeding time is a good idea).

That being said, life in Florida isn't particularly dangerous, though I don't really enjoy driving here and I've run into some people with major, throwing pennies at my windshield, road rage.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the guy from New Zealand is rich, or at least rich enough to get by without a 9 to 5 job. If that's the case then good for him. That sounds like a good bit of fun and a great way to expand his horizons, as long as he actually interacts with the world as he traverses it.

A part of me also hopes his name is "Bilbo Baggins".

Also, I've been trying to spot Pokemon GO players ever since I heard about this. Judging from all of the online hype, I should be seeing them everywhere, but I haven't seen one yet, and I live in the city. What's going on?