People really like Thor Ragnarok

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Saelune said:
What happened to Sif? She is just MIA it seems.
Out of universe explanation: Actress wasn't available

In-universe explanation: Sif was banished by Loki before the film.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Saelune said:
bartholen said:
It also bothered me how little they utilized the actual Ragnar?k myth.
Well, I mean, the movie titled 'Civil War' was basically just based off the first sentence of a summary of the entire Civil War arc, and Iron Man 3 took his biggest nemesis and threw him away for some D grade villain.
That's to do with following a narrative, which the original myth has next to none. I was talking purely visual flair. You could have had some really trippy shit, like the stars falling from the sky, Fenris swallowing the sun, that kind of stuff.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
bartholen said:
Saelune said:
bartholen said:
It also bothered me how little they utilized the actual Ragnar?k myth.
Well, I mean, the movie titled 'Civil War' was basically just based off the first sentence of a summary of the entire Civil War arc, and Iron Man 3 took his biggest nemesis and threw him away for some D grade villain.
That's to do with following a narrative, which the original myth has next to none. I was talking purely visual flair. You could have had some really trippy shit, like the stars falling from the sky, Fenris swallowing the sun, that kind of stuff.
Yeah but this is "We're high tech magic aliens" not "We're literally Norse Gods".

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
BeetleManiac said:
Just saw it, really liked it. Surprisingly smart movie too with a consistent theme of coming to terms with the darker aspects of your past.
I enjoyed it as well, though I think that underlying theme of erasing your past was kind of undermined by the ending.
Though I'm hoping it's brought up in the next movie since the Asgardians are no longer as powerful and are now in a position of vulnerability. Would like to see those past conquests come to bite them in the ass now that they need help.
I also agree with the criticism on the humor getting in the way of the serious moments at times. There's just a bit too much jokes going on, and while 90% of them land it still leaves a lot of awkward random 'jokes' that hang in the air and bring the movie down

Overall an excellent movie, I loved anytime Thor and Loki were together. Those two characters/actors compliment each other so well I would love to see an entire "buddy cop" style superhero movie centered around those two

Dec 10, 2012
bartholen said:
Just saw it today in 3D (only because I could go to that screening straight after work), which proved as pointless as usual. The movie itself is definitely best of the Thor movies by a massive margin. I'd say it's about in the same league as Ant-Man: reliably entertaining and funny without feeling too formulaic. Goldblum is just a riot of ham, Blanchett is in full-blast MILF mode and Hulk works great as the comic relief. Perhaps most refreshingly they finally allowed Thor to go God mode on the bad guys instead of just swinging the hammer. He's supposed to be one of the strongest entities in the Marvel canon, and this film we finally got to see that. I'm hoping we can one day see something on the scale of him destroying an entire fleet of spaceships with his lightning powers in the Ultimates. The synth soundtrack when it was used was great. The move to what I would call cosmic fantasy instead of having him just on Earth was the exact right move.

What took me out was how they seemingly expected me to remember what happened in Dark World, one of the MCU's worst films, and I couldn't for the life of me remember. It also has a smattering of the usual phase 3 movies: too many characters given too little screen time and the film expecting us to care, the flippant tone taking away from the more dramatic scenes (though nowhere near as bad as Dr Strange, since this is a full on comedy), an overabundance of CGI (even if perfectly executed), the action feeling toothless and weightless and a general lack of a sense of threat. When Hela sliced Thor's eye off you could at least have had him shriek in pain, maybe crawl around for a moment. LOTR had decapitations, dismemberment, severed heads, impalement, blood and all that jazz with the same PG-13 rating. Just for once, please, let the characters get hurt!

It also bothered me how little they utilized the actual Ragnar?k myth. Well okay, there's Fenris, Surtr and the army of the dead, but it all feels kinda token. In the myth those are all things seeking to destroy Asgard, not conquer it. There seemed to be some reference to the ship made of dead men's nails with Loki's horns appearing from the mist. I could have used a little more apocalyptic imagery with Surtr to give it proper weight. This is after all a setting the audience should be connected with after three movies.
I agree that they really could/should have utilized the Ragnarok myth a lot more. For anyone who's familiar with how the Norse apocalypse went down, it just didn't FEEL like a true Ragnarok in this movie. I know they couldn't go whole hog and just kill all the main characters, but they hardly killed anyone at all. There was no gigantic war, just a skirmish on the Bifrost, there were no frost giants and only one fire giant, the Valkyries didn't even make an appearance, Fenris was taken out in a pinch and there was no Jormungandr at all, and not one Asgardian god died. It's probably not fair to judge it like that, but I'm too much of a mythology nerd not to.

To one of your other points; I saw it with my wife, and after the movie I mentioned that I've never seen Cate Blanchett looking so crazy hot, and she looked at me like I was nuts.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I guess I liked it. At most it's a 6/10.

The first act is paced worse Rogue One's first act. But my biggest problem is that it didn't really feel like a Thor movie. Marvel's recent movies really do feel homogenised and it shows here. Gone is the almost Shakespearean aspect of Asgard, instead everyone is quipping like Ironman or Starlord. And speaking of Asgard it doesn't play much of a role or add any personality to film. It doesn't feel much like a Fantasy film which the last two were it's just Guardians of the Galaxy with out The Guardians of the Galaxy. Ok there is a little bit of fantasy but it mostly felt sci-fi which is what the rest of Marvel is for. Also where's Sif? And the action was, for the most part, meh. Nothing we havn't seen before but with less emotion and worse CGI... HOW?! Why is the CGI worse here than it was in The Avengers?

But as I said. I did ultimately like it. Some of the humour got me. Kate Blanchett was awesome with what she was given (and is it wrong that this is the most attracted I've been to her?). And Jeff Goldblum was great... although I'm pretty sure he wasn't acting and just wondered onto the set one day. Also Hulk/Thor and Hulk/Fenrir fights were cool.

TheVampwizimp said:
I agree that they really could/should have utilized the Ragnarok myth a lot more. For anyone who's familiar with how the Norse apocalypse went down, it just didn't FEEL like a true Ragnarok in this movie. I know they couldn't go whole hog and just kill all the main characters, but they hardly killed anyone at all. There was no gigantic war, just a skirmish on the Bifrost, there were no frost giants and only one fire giant, the Valkyries didn't even make an appearance, Fenris was taken out in a pinch and there was no Jormungandr at all, and not one Asgardian god died. It's probably not fair to judge it like that, but I'm too much of a mythology nerd not to.

To one of your other points; I saw it with my wife, and after the movie I mentioned that I've never seen Cate Blanchett looking so crazy hot, and she looked at me like I was nuts.
Also This... dear god this! ^^

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Definitely the best of the Thor trilogy. I hated Dark World so much, because it was so boring and the human supporting cast will not be missed. Rangnarok was fun, compelling, well paced, and felt like a He-Man or Flash Gordon movie. Which is a nice throw back to those type of films. This and Black Panther I look forward to the most. Also, I am so glad the film had no quick cuts or shaky cam. Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron, and Civil War suffered from this when it came to the non-CGI fight scenes.

BeetleManiac said:
Just saw it, really liked it. Surprisingly smart movie too with a consistent theme of coming to terms with the darker aspects of your past.
I noticed that too.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I loved it. It wasn't really an action movie, it was a comedy that happened to include action sequences. And as an Australian I gotta say, this was a very 'Aussie' feeling movie, from Valkyrie falling over in her intro because she was so drunk, to the opening scene with Skurge trying to impress girls with his vast collection of 'stuff' (I've seen variations on 'that guy' so many times in the outer suburbs) and even the subtle references like the color of the spaceship they escape on being the color of the Indigenous Australian flag. And of course the director providing the soft spoken Kiwi accent for Korg was amazing, unexpected and charming.
Again it's a small thing but it really is nice to see my country's jokes and culture be referenced in a movie that is ostensibly still being made by an American production company. A sort of cross cultural joketacular scenario.

I liked the way they did away with a lot of the stuff that made Thor boring, he tells jokes more regularly now and you can argue that this new quippy version of Thor comes as a result of spending time on Earth and working with the Avengers, he's probably developed their personality traits and picked up more 'Earth' terms (see for example 'He's a friend from work', I don't think a Norse viking god would normally HAVE a term for 'work' or a concept of a 'job' at least as we would understand it. Very few vikings hung out after a raiding by the water cooler to dish) and I actually liked when he did the 'sun's going down' bit because first of all yes it was an obvious set up to the Hulk beating the fuck out of him but it also did highlight Thor's familiarity with the team which was nice because up until this point he had been the 'outsider' of the group.

That said even though I grudgingly admit it is for the better, I'll miss Natalie Portman.

I loved all the jokes and silliness, the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously. It's Norse Vikings in space! It should be silly. I loved Jeff Goldblum who was at MAXIMUM GOLDBLUM throughout the whole movie and Cate Blanchett's Hela I honestly thought was intimidating. She was sexy, charismatic, witty but also genuinely intimidating and dangerous and could seriously fuck shit up when the time came. She had a very unique presence that reminded me a lot of Eva Green as Artemisia in 300, a bloodthirsty and aggressive vengeful woman scorned eager to inflict as much pain and destruction as possible in the face of sheer ambition while still having had just enough crappy stuff happen to her that you can sort of sympathize with her but not really, albeit significantly toned down in terms of violence. If there had been more effort to really flesh her out and if most of her dialogue weren't expository I actually think she could have been one for the ages because there were brief flashes of depth there that I really think were worth exploring. But hey she was fun while she lasted I guess.
Also nice that we finally got a female villain in the MCU, it's about time.
*Thumbs up*

But I guess with the Marvel movies the villain is almost always secondary to the heroes and well I liked what I saw, inventive visuals, crazy soundtrack, epic battle scenes that gave me goosebumps even upon the second rewatch. Honestly this is a good tone to have and seeing Thor and Hulk (the only two members of the Avengers who didn't get roped into their friend's drama during Civil War, be like Thor and Hulk) bond and connect and come together especially considering Civil War was all about the team falling apart was refreshing to see. I hope we haven't seen the last of Banner (though Hulk and Banner are the same person, just emotional extremes) but I do love this fully realized 'human' version of Hulk complete with childish dialogue.
That said it's weird how people are just starting to shrug off the major act of planetary war Loki tried to pull back in 2012, like to the point where he was actually walking the streets of New York and not being like, lynched. That confused me.
But I guess redemption's a thing in comic book stories so that was nice to see.

Honestly it's not the best movie ever but I really liked it. Its jokes came from the absurd characters and the absurd world around them (and again speaks very closely to my heart as an Aussie) and yeah I think this approach does breathe some life into a movie franchise that can otherwise get kind of stale and repetitive. It's also nice to see that between this and Doctor Strange that there are finally newer more creative ways of solving major world ending catastrophes beyond just 'all get into a fight and destroy the portal in the sky'. Plus it's got me super excited for Infinity War.

inu-kun said:
(except Sif, since female death are worse than male?)
Or alternatively there are other possibilities?

-The actress was unavailable
-They had plans to use her in Agents of Shield Season 5?
-She's a potential love interest for Thor so sometimes it's good to keep a card in your deck?

Like not everything is some kind of grandiose conspiracy against white straight men.

You SJW types are the worst!

Also is it me or did the rip off parts of Wonder Woman's theme and gave it to Thor?
What you mean 'the Immigrant Song' by Led Zeppelin? Or did you mean something else?

Also sorry trigger warning I just said the word 'immigrant' without angrily insinuating that such and such population are all rapists. Sorry about that.

And as a dessert that some very clean and multi ethnical ra-*clears throat* refugees, we even have ISIS members rediscovering their humanity once coming back, that's probably the most unrealistic parts of the film.
.... WHAT THE FUCK?!

Seriously dude. Can you just cool with the right wing infowars BS for five minutes? Hell it's not even clear what you mean by this statement? Are you unhappy that Korg and Meik and the other multi ethnic alien refugees weren't rapey enough for your liking? Were you mad that there's going to be an Asgardian refugee subplot in future Marvel movies? And where the Hell does ISIS come into it at ANY point? Unless you mean Skurge redeeming himself at the end? But that was a white man firing M16's he got from Texas, how is that ISIS?
The closest I can say is that Loki rediscovered his humanity but even then it is heavily implied that he is still somewhat of a trickster.

Like seriously what version of this movie did you see where it ended as an open love letter to ISIS. Tell me please, I must know!

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Vrex360 said:
MAXIMUM GOLDBLUM

Like seriously what version of this movie did you see where it ended as an open love letter to ISIS. Tell me please, I must know!
Lol, and someone who loves anime is criticizing the writing quality of a comic book movie?!?! Heck, anime probably has a lower average writing quality than freaking video games.

Jan 27, 2011
I enjoyed it. It was funny, the action beats were nice to watch, got to see Hulk characterized more, all in all, great movie.

Tone was a bit schizophrenic and there's plenty of little headscratcher moments that seem remarkably convenient, but it was still pretty good. I also liked the underlying message it had.

You can't just wallpaper over your colonialist, imperialist, conquest-through-arms past and just expect it to magically "go away" when you decide it's not a good idea anymore. It'll come back to haunt you once people stop standing against it.

That said, I totally get why people might not like the movie. It was pretty weird and random and the humor's not for everyone.

inu-kun said:
we even have ISIS members rediscovering their humanity once coming back, that's probably the most unrealistic parts of the film.
Huh?

What?

Are you talking Loki, or Skurge here?

Neither one really fits that label.

One is a well known childish megalomaniac who only comes back because Thor knew exactly what buttons to push to trigger him "You don't belong with us / Are not loved" and "You're predictable, dumbass" respectively. Not so much ISIS, and not so much rediscovering his own humanity. That's more like a competent-ish trump getting tricked into supporting healthcare as a right and pulling out of various unwanted military interventions because someone tripped his ego the right way.

And Skurge is clearly just going along with Hela because of a sense of self-preservation and is visibly uncomfortable with a lot of the stuff he's being asked to do.

Again, not really ISIS, unless you think that people who go "I dunno, man, I do think whites are given a raw deal, I'm not really super ok with white supremacist violence, but maybe we should hear them out?" are literal nazis and just as bad as the dude who ran over a crowd of people?

If it was Hela somehow changing from villain to hero, I think you'd have a point, but otherwise I don't really see it.

That said, the rest of your gripes with the movie I can understand.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Saltyk said:
inu-kun said:
First of all the poster for the film is abysmal. Second af all judging from the quotes it seems it is exactly the McDonalds level quality the entire Marvel film universe degrades into. Self aware for the people who come watch feel like they are intelligent for pointing out tropes, banter to please the kiddies and make new memes and mainstream audience appeal so they won't actually need to tell an interesting story.
Still better than DC's formula. Dark, edgy, and depressing because that's "adult" and "deep". Also, more Jesus metaphors than the Bible.
Bah go watch your childish claptrap than. At least I don't find Jesus Metaphors as cringy as The Quips and the Memebaits.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Saw it a week ago, 'twas pretty damn good. Keeping in mind that I skipped Thor's previous outings (I read the synopsis prior to viewing this one), I was actually able to understand most of what was going on.

The comedy was great. Yes, toilet humor is low-hanging fruit, but it's still fun. And it's certainly better than any joke in Suicide Squad.

Loved the very Aussie/Kiwi Easter Eggs (such as the escape ship being named "Commodore"). The CGI was...CGI. Though apparently it super expensive this time...at least that's the only reason I can think of for why the soundtrack budget was so low. Much as I like "Immigrant Song", the studio really milked it dry (every trailer and twice in the movie itself).

As for the new characters, the Valkyrie made a great entrance but proceeded to spend the rest of the movie being utterly forgettable (I've already forgotten her name). Hela is a better villain than most of the MCUs throwaway villains; I actually remember some of her lines of dialogue, even her driving motivation. Golblum stole the fucking show. To repeat what someone else said, I'm not sure if he was acting or if he just wandered onto the set one day but it was fucking hilarious. Crog was great as well.

Kinda disappointed the world-ending scenario in the title was really just a plot device in the end. Though I liked the ending. It's nice to see some lasting consequences in a Marvel movie for once.

The Doctor Strange cameo was definitely the worst part of the movie. That entire sequence felt shoehorned in because franchise must franchise.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Saltyk said:
inu-kun said:
First of all the poster for the film is abysmal. Second af all judging from the quotes it seems it is exactly the McDonalds level quality the entire Marvel film universe degrades into. Self aware for the people who come watch feel like they are intelligent for pointing out tropes, banter to please the kiddies and make new memes and mainstream audience appeal so they won't actually need to tell an interesting story.
Still better than DC's formula. Dark, edgy, and depressing because that's "adult" and "deep". Also, more Jesus metaphors than the Bible.
Bah go watch your childish claptrap than. At least I don't find Jesus Metaphors as cringy as The Quips and the Memebaits.
I would argue that trying to be dark and edgy and depressing for the sake of appearing more mature just ends up making you look more childish.

peacefulescape

Jan 10, 2018
I think it depends on your purpose for watching the movie: to fulfill your childhood-adulthood fanhood of Marvel comics coming to life, or simply to enjoy a movie. Ragnarok seems to cater to the latter, essentially providing a light-hearted, yet entertaining movie.