people's misunderstanding of Korra and Asami

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Alright, I do agree that I think TC is harping on this a bit too much. However I also disagree with those on the other side of the spectrum saying "NOPE. 100% CONFIRMED THEY ARE BI NO DOUBT I CAN SEE IT IN THEIR EYES."

It's ambiguous. Deliberately so. It was MEANT to invoke this kind of reaction to keep people talking about it, much like "Where. Is. My mother?" I can fully believe that they are just best friends, I have a sister, I've seen how she interacts with her best friends. They may be bisexual too. I can see that. I'm just saying, I don't see how their sexual preference is "confirmed;" Frodo and Sam were WAY gayer than this and yet not gay.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I chose to see it as romantic. I know other people chose to see it as just friends. Why does it bother you so much that you had to quote the first several people and tell them they are wrong? Your original post is also very defensive and many people are going to take it as a challenge with the way you worded it. What happened? You used to ask for opinions in all your other threads, but now you don't want to hear one that's different from yours?

NoX 9

I Want A Hug!
Jul 2, 2014
KORRASAMIIII I'm so happy it happened at last! By season 2 I was already thinking they should get together. Heroes always get the girl in the end <3

crazygameguy4ever said:
no.. no no.. an I the only one who isn't blind? i'm starting to wonder.. Korra is straight! and so is Asami
I'm not straight but when I was a teenager I kissed a guy. I was scared to admit to anyone I was gay -even myself-, and desperately tried not to be. Besides, they could just go both ways, thats perfectly possible and not even all that uncommon.

nightmare_gorilla said:
damnit, double post sorry people
You betrayed us all! Commit sudoku.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Kolby Jack said:
Frodo and Sam were WAY gayer than this and yet not gay.
NO F**K YOU, YOU COULD TELL BY THE WAY SAM GAZED AT FRODO'S NOSE BEFORE HE GOT ON THE BOAT IN A VERY SPECIFIC SHOT THAT HE WANTED TO SHAG HIM REAL GOOD.
I'M RIGHT YOU'RE WRONG!

OT:
Ok, now that i'm done harping on the OP's denial... To me, the ending was ambiguous, and perfectly so for the fans.

I for one relish in the idea that they are bi/gay. I mean, for varieties sake it's fantastic for a kid show to break the mold for once! That and the blatantly huge subtleties suggesting it had me genuinely happy and satisfied with MY conclusion on how it ended. That and i've been talking about it with all my friends, who concluded the same thing, and am having a good time just discussing how great the two work as a couple. I'm also fine, if it was to somehow be confirmed by the mighty Bryan himself, that they are just really really good friends who don't mind getting touchy.
I'm fine with that, it still doesn't detract from how great it ended.

Overall, it's up to the individual/the fan to decipher the ending and draw their own conclusion, while respecting everyone's else's conclusion the same... BOOM /all of these threads

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Dansen said:
Its obvious the OP was supper invested in the series and his interpretation of the characters. I can relate to that. I was in shock when I found out Dumbledore is gay and was firmly against it. Then my aunt said something that pissed me the fuck off. "Is there a problem with him being gay?"

YES, YES THERE IS! During the entire course of the series I had never pondered Dumbledore's sexuality. It didn't seem like he cared and neither did I as a result. Then J.K. Rowling announces that he is gay, with out any evidence from the books to support it. It just ruined some of the magic of Dumbledore for me. I suspect the OP might feel similarly because he has a set image of these to characters and this revelation must feel like an unwarranted retcon to him. However it does seem like this relationship was hinted at before hand.
... How does Dumbledore being gay "ruin some of the magic"? What magic? The "straight-magic"? Seriously, explain this to me. I'm lost.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
It's pretty well made that they're entering a relationship, and kind of accidentally established that throughout the series just how they reacted to one another and became more important to one another.

And yeah seriously the posing and prolonged venture with only each other is definitely romantic. You don't take bro's on long cruises, you take people you're interested in, involved with on long romantic getaways.

This pairing actually works, even if it is a fan favorite. It's certainly more satisfying then Sakura and Sasuke, as there was actually something there, and it culminating like this isn't really out of left field, but certainly not as painfully sledgehammered in unlike Aang and Katara.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Baffle said:
Dansen said:
Its obvious the OP was supper invested in the series and his interpretation of the characters. I can relate to that. I was in shock when I found out Dumbledore is gay and was firmly against it. Then my aunt said something that pissed me the fuck off. "Is there a problem with him being gay?"

YES, YES THERE IS! During the entire course of the series I had never pondered Dumbledore's sexuality. It didn't seem like he cared and neither did I as a result. Then J.K. Rowling announces that he is gay, with out any evidence from the books to support it. It just ruined some of the magic of Dumbledore for me. I suspect the OP might feel similarly because he has a set image of these to characters and this revelation must feel like an unwarranted retcon to him. However it does seem like this relationship was hinted at before hand.
I've never read any Harry Potter stuff or seen the films, but was there anything to suggest that he wasn't gay? Like, did he pull his broomstick over at the kerbside and wolf whistle hot chicks or anything like that, or try to slip it to Ron Weasley's mum?
Not unless you count his dance with the Beauxbatons headmistress in Goblet of Fire, which is a rather sizable 'unless'. He didn't really show much of anything that could really be interpreted as romantic in the series proper, which makes sense considering that by Rowling's account the dark wizard Grindelwald had been the love of his life, his great tragedy and - to quote her directly " "He lost his moral compass completely when he fell in love and I think subsequently became very mistrustful of his own judgment in those matters so became quite asexual. He led a celibate and a bookish life"...And of course the guy was also around 109 years old by the time Harry arrived at Hogwarts[footnote]Rowling's website puts Dumbledore as having been born in 1881. If we want to take her interview answer as more true than that though, he clocks in at around 150. I'm inclined to treat her site as better reflecting her current canon[/footnote], so I don't imagine he had many peers he'd have been comfortable pursuing a relationship with even if he was so inclined.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
JagermanXcell said:
Ok, now that i'm done harping on the OP's denial... To me, the ending was ambiguous, and perfectly so for the fans.
Agreed.

A nicely done ambiguous ending is a gift to fans of the series, in that it sparks speculation and allows the story to continue that little further in their imaginations.
(...and fanfics. Oh god, the fanfics that are going to come from this...)

On a detached level, an ending like this is vague enough to allow all fans to draw their own meaning and take from the story what they wish.

I do understand why some people are saying 'holding hands doesn't have to mean this', after all, it doesn't.
Remember, the official line on Burt and Ernie is they're just 'good friends' and those guys cohabit and share a bedroom and seem awfully comfortable walking in on each other bathing.

This time though, I'm inclined to agree that the implication was intentional and did indicate a romance had the potential to begin.
Two people sharing a stare and holding hands isn't enough alone to indicate a burgeoning romance, but given all the other things that have happened, the case for it is very strong indeed.

Of course, there's a chance that no official confirmation will ever surface beyond the vague nods and hints we've seen.
After all, why would it?
Talk about the show is good for the show, even after production has finished.

Perhaps some day the writers will be able to confirm directly their intent rather than hinting and keeping things vague, but by that point it won't matter anyway.
Fan headcanons will be entrenched enough to weather any confirmation or disavowal from the creator.
Greedo shot first my ass.

Britpoint

Aug 30, 2013
Haha, sour OP is sour. Bad luck buddy ;)

But wait, I'll think about it for a minute in case you're right. How would Bryan Konietzko have come up with that scene?

"Hmm, how should I finish the entire show? I KNOW! I'll have a scene with Korra and Asami walking together through the spirit portal. I'll have a close up of them taking each other's hands. Then, in the very last moment they'll turn and gaze into each other's eyes in the same way all the lovers have done throughout the series, and the music we'll play will be that piece called 'The Avatar's Love'.

That way, everyone will know for sure that they are simply good friends and totally not into each other romantically!"

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I think I'd like to know why the OP thinks that Asami and Korra are both exclusively straight.

Does someone have to already know that they are bisexual in order for them to be bisexual? Every bisexual person is straight/ gay until they find someone of the same/opposite sex that they are attracted to.

For the record I didn't really interpret it as romantic until I re-watched the final scene with that possibility in mind and now I can't see it as being anything else. It's definitely possible to interpret it either way.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
I don't understand why OP is so angry at the whole thing. I noticed that he was raging against the idea in the comments section of the Korra review (Facebook and Escapist comments). What the hell is the problem? Having a romantic relationship with a guy doesn't mean they can't have romantic relationships with girls too. Dear God man, it's 2014, bisexuality has been known about for a while now.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
DaWaffledude said:
Dansen said:

... How does Dumbledore being gay "ruin some of the magic"? What magic? The "straight-magic"? Seriously, explain this to me. I'm lost.

...Because old wise mentors have to be straight? I dunno.

Personally I just have a hard time imagining Dumbledore with anyone. He just seems a little...beyond romantic relationships if that makes any sense. Then again that's probably because I only ever knew him in his Twilight years, kind of like Harry. And like Harry, to me Dumbledore always seemed like he was a little beyond everyone else. Not like he didn't care about people, but like he didn't truly open up to...anyone.

...The more and more I think about this the more I realize why Harry was so depressed about him in book 7. How the Hell does Rowling keep doing that? The more and more I think about her writing the more brilliant it becomes.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
crazygameguy4ever said:
People seem to think that Korra holding hands with Asmai means their gay. I don't understand why people are wrongly thinking this. Their best friends,who had a lot a of issues over both being in love with Mako and then after not talking for several years when Korra disappeared.. them holding hands and taking a vacation together does not mean their gay or bi.. unless from now on, every time a girl holds the hands of her best friends it must mean their gay.. why are people misunderstanding this situation?
Thank you for telling me how I should interpret what is clearly an intentionally ambiguous scene. Truly that is the only possible way of seeing it.

Honestly there's context to take into account, and a huge bit of context is when has ever that sort of pose and situation they used ever been used in a cartoon to not show something romantic?

Hell, when was that every used between to female characters ever?

The creators aren't stupid, they've used symbolism many times before. And this is the finale, the final scene people are ever going to see for not only Korra, but avatar in general. To think they wouldn't take great care in what they're doing is really underselling them.

As I said, it's ambiguous on purpose (though that itself is debatable), so if you want to tell yourself they're straight and couldn't possibly have any romantic inclination what so ever, sure go ahead. But don't try and say you know for sure because you're not convincing anyone other than yourself.

And for the record, since season two I thought the Korrasami shippers were weird. I just have to tip my hat to them that they actually called it right. Bravo to them.

Dr. Crawver

Nov 20, 2009
bartholen said:
Jesus fuck, what happened to leaving stuff up to interpretation? You know, using your brain? It can be either, and you really need to grow up if you keep on insisting "no itz reely so cuz i says so!!!!!!!"

I support the ending either way. If it's "just friends", then I'm happy with it, because Korra and Asami had the most warm and genuine friendship in the series. If it's "real Korrasami", I'm happy with it, because children's programming having non-heterosexual relationships is IMO a sign of acceptance and a step in the right direction.
This. Very much this. No matter what it is, no-one loses. No point trying to shout others down just because you don't think that's how it is.

Dr. Crawver

Nov 20, 2009
Dansen said:

But...wasn't that the point of it? Someone's sexuality is theirs? It's not important, nor does it need to be horrendously telegraphed from the start. The fact that dumblydoorknob was gay is a good example that you probably have gay friends who you don't even realise. It didn't interfere in the story, had no impact on anything, had no awkward implication, so what was the problem with it?

-Edit-
This was my 1000th post and it was about Dumbledore being gay, after calling him "Dumblydoorknob". I am actually proud of that.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
crazygameguy4ever said:
NemotheElvenPanda said:
It makes complete sense for Korra and Asami to hook up even if there's no "official" confirmation. I mean the guys the two were closest with couldn't handle a relationship with either of them, while Asami's been at Korra's side for almost all of the time and vice-versa, giving advice and support through thick and thin. I can't think for a single moment when there was friction between those two outside of Korra being jealous when Mako was with Asami. It's kind of one of those "We've tried to be with every guy we like and I like you, so why the hell not?" things. Plus, let's be completely honest here, they've been teasing about something between Asami and Korra since the two met. There's a lot of chemistry between those two.
no.. no no.. an I the only one who isn't blind? i'm starting to wonder.. Korra is straight! and so is Asami

So bisexuality/pansexuality doesn't exist?

lord canti

May 30, 2009
crazygameguy4ever said:
Shadowstar38 said:
crazygameguy4ever said:
cause i'm all about the truth i nthis situation.. and it's annoying when people are saying that two straight characters are gay now just because their held hands and want to be closer as best friends.. if not for Mako and Asami feeling guilty because of how Kora would feel(about her ex-boyfriend dating her other friend), Asami probably would have kept dating Mako... it's clear Mako still likes both Korra and Asami and they probably both still like him, but didn't want the tension that would be caused if one of them was dating Mako and the other wasn't... it's pretty obvious that their straight..
There's been no conclusive proof that either character is straight. You assumed as much because they both showed interest in a boy. Being attracted to a boy doesn't rule out the possibility that they could also be attracted to girls. We can't really declare with certainty either way.

they are straight.. it's a fact.. deal with it.. their best friends, practicality sisters.. nothing more
Because I always hold both the hands of my friend while looking lovingly in their eyes before going on vacation to a beautiful place with just the two of us.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Not to mention that they ended on the exact same pose Katara and Aang ended on after they kissed in the final scene of last airbender.

Oct 22, 2011
Despite how this entire plot was handled, the implication in the ending was pretty clear. Mentioned many times before symbolic elements, like choice of their final pose and music tend to heavily imply the romantic way this relationship could went.
Looks like you'll have to deal with it OP, since people won't stop talking about it soon.
And shippers WILL smear it all over your face.

Kolby Jack said:
Frodo and Sam were WAY gayer than this and yet not gay.
Funny, since i find Mr. Frodo and Sam's unexpectedly homoerotic journey that ultimately didn't end with coupling as an exact opposite of how Korra/Asami plot was handled.

TheKasp said:
The whole coloring above each, seperated by the Spirit Portal is the bloody Bisexual Pride flag coloring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisexual_pride_flag

I expect to read that I'm reading too much into this but fuck me if I try and treat the shows creators like buffoons not being able to be subtle about their intended message.
Surely a purple-ish coloring of skyline at dusk can't be a coincidence!
Sorry, but you are taking this a bit too far. I get other in-show hints, but come on, that's just silly.