Perma-kill a superhero.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
CaptainMarvelous said:
Not what I said
You said the same character, but "the things they do and the character itself is different". So in the Harry Potter example, there's a reboot and he goes to Hogwarts where he is extremely badass, everyone likes him but he secretly works with Voldemort.
This is what comics occasionally do. And I don't see how that's a good thing. A lot of the time, they seem to either push a different comic into an existing IP, or stretch an IP that has clearly run its course to weird places.

PS I don't like HP, so let's not argue whether or not these were good books.

but do I need to list every example of when they use dramatics? Because I really, really don't have the energy to do it. Loki and his inferiority complex alone will take me forever.
I was talking "drama" in the sense of something being at stake. No matter how bored I was throughout the movie, when the Alien Armada entered NY airspace I did think: well, let's see how they gonna deal with this. And then I learned. Unleash the Hulk. That easy. He was like the ghost army in LotR.

Ignoring the fact he cold-cocked Thor at least once in that fight
Comic relief. Did it ever threaten the mission or Thor?

Even if he didn't show it in the movie, he gets tired, and it wouldn't be impossibke, given they have a portal, to come through and fly off in 360 degrees formation.
So I'm supposed to make up my own threat scenario that the movie didn't bother with? Sure, if you work hard enough, you can make every movie good by filling the voids yourself. Like in Matrix Reloaded, which gets really intense if you think of all the things Agent Smith could be doing to Neo.

the other 5 heroes were all pretty close to being killed anyway
See, I didn't get that either. They seemed to have each other's backs.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
RubyT said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
Superman ... according to Grant Morrison ... Action Comics ... Hulk's most recent comic series... the quality varies ... Any comic by Alan Moore
THIS is the problem with comics. NO continuity, no standards. One guy takes them into this direction, the next guy in another. I mean - Superman can be hurt by a speeding train? When did that happen? That is not in line with the majority of the comics I know. Magic? Seriously? Magic was introduced into the DC universe?

I remember an old comic (when my brother made me read comics, most of them were '70s editions) where Superman and Batman fought - because of red kryptonite, of course. Now there is no way Batman could survive this, but he did. He even survived punches to the (bare) chin. How is that possible following the internal "logic" of the DC universe?

Recently I watched The Avengers. Horrible movie. My dear bro was visiting and this is what he brought. Now in that flick, there are giant alien spaceships, the size of battleship cruisers and they get brought down by Hulk just pounding on them. What kind of drama is that supposed to be?

And this is probably the quintessential problem of this type of superhero: you give them a certain mix of outrageous powers and suddenly everything seems grossly outmatched. So you have to come up with ever more outrageous enemies to threaten them. But since the superheroes have to prevail, the next enemy has to be even larger than the previous one. And after a couple of issues you're in bonkers-land.
Actually, I would argue that the power balance in the Cinematic Marvel Universe (no idea about the comic universe) was pretty tight. I mean, sure, the Hulk punches out the leviathan in one punch, but within a few minutes we see Thor take down a leviathan and Iron Man take out another by running through it. The challenge was not the hardness of any one monster or alien in that movie. It was the fact that they seemed endless. This were the tension was.

OT: I would have to say Batman. I am sick of hearing how he is the greatest superhero of the DC universe and how no one can beat him. I'm sorry, but no. He might have contingency plans, but practically all members of the original Justice League can kill with little to no effort.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
RubyT said:
I was talking "drama" in the sense of something being at stake. No matter how bored I was throughout the movie, when the Alien Armada entered NY airspace I did think: well, let's see how they gonna deal with this. And then I learned. Unleash the Hulk. That easy. He was like the ghost army in LotR.
o_O but then surely you couldn't have enjoyed LotR which did the exact same thing and with even less of something at stake (except maybe equal rights for Orcs as an ethnic minority). Or in Star Wars where they resolve the problems of Stormtroopers attacking by getting Ewoks to kill them. Which apparently is a thing that works.

Comic relief. Did it ever threaten the mission or Thor?
Threatened his jaw. Even as comic relief, it did show that he wasn't a particularly good team player, he just happened to want to smash the aliens MORE than the other characters.

So I'm supposed to make up my own threat scenario that the movie didn't bother with? Sure, if you work hard enough, you can make every movie good by filling the voids yourself. Like in Matrix Reloaded, which gets really intense if you think of all the things Agent Smith could be doing to Neo.
Wellll, that one was more extrapolating from when the aliens surround him and blast him a load and he sort of stays down for a while. I don't think any amount of imagination can make the Matrix sequels good and if I can make Neo my perma-kill answer I really, really might.

See, I didn't get that either. They seemed to have each other's backs.
Hawkeye ran out of arrows and ends up winded in an office, Ironman pancakes on the ground through a bus shelter on something like 3% power left and Cap gets blown up and crashed through a car then takes around 30 seconds just to get up again, can't remember what happened to Thor but BW was on the roof trying to close the portal. They had each others backs in bits of it but they did get just a little curb-stomped as the whole thing went on.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Spiderman... Goddamn spiderman... than there would be 2 people unhappy in new york, and that would be the only fallout... He's an annoying whiny shit-bag... and he looks stupid! Seriously... a morphsuit!? Eugh...

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
OhJohnNo said:
[small]Or maybe just PowerGirl, because what's the fucking point of that one?[/small]
Most probably tits.

Personally I'd kill of Superman, bring him back to life, kill him again, repeat until I got bored then off him permanently, guy's a total douche.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Eddy-16 said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
I'm getting the feeling we could go on like this forever, so agree to disagree?
Well argued fellow nerd. Oh, and for the record Atlanteans can survive out water but not for long, but Aquaman as half-human half-royal atlantean can survive on land for much, much longer, hydration in the air also helps (Though he did survive in a desert for a day with no water) but he has to go into water every now and then. Also he weakens the more dehydrated he is.
You know what, I'm cool with that.
Onto the next debate! Who Would win in a fight between Freakazoid and The mask?
I'm gonna go with freakazoid.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
SpectacularWebHead said:
Eddy-16 said:
yuval152 said:
His powers only work in the water.

Batman is even better than him.
WRONG! His powers get weaker the longer he is out of water but he survived in a desert for at least a day so its not that bad, plus he's faster, stronger and more immune to damage than Batman. Aquaman would fuck up Batman in a straight up fight any time, if Bats didn't wear the thickest plot armour in the universe. Sorry it pisses me off when people are like "herp derp aquaman can only talk to fish he's crap, herp de derp derp" while never having read a aquaman comic ever. Also he can give people seizures: http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t349/IMDBsuperman/jla00410.jpg
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/53838/1210972-jla_004_11_super.jpg
/Fan rant
OT: Probably Superman I find his character really boring.
I'm sorry, are you trying to say aquaman is better than batman?
Dude, batman is trained in every martial art on the planet. It doesn't matter if aquaman is bulletproof or stronger, batman has more skill.
Who needs skill when you can look at a guy and make him unable to control his limbs? All Aquaman has to do is walk up and punch his face until there isn't anything left once he's done that.

OP: I'd kill superman. Fucking victim of power creep.

Edit: Bugger it, i've fucked up the quote somewhere.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
SpectacularWebHead said:
Mine would be aquaman.
I hate that guy.
Would you care to elaborate on this? Why do you hate Aquaman? Have you ever even read an Aquaman comic? Because some of them are actually pretty damn good. In particular the opening story arc for the current New 52 story arc of Aquaman was phenomenal. Granted, it was written by Geoff Johns who can (and will) make anything awesome. I guess what I'm asking is do you hate Aquaman? Or do you just hate the poorly written version of Aquaman who has frequently appeared in the more mainstream forms of the superhero genre?

OT: I don't think there's anyone I have any overwhelming desire to see die permanently. Any character can be really interesting with the right writer. Sure there are a couple characters floating about who I'm not a big fan of, but it's not like they're actively detracting from my comic book reading experience... I just don't read their comics. Sure I might have to deal with them in a crossover with a character I do like, but that minor inconvenience doesn't destroy their potential to be written well, and to play a role in an interesting narrative.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Aris Khandr said:
Batman or Wolverine. I'd literally flip a coin. Can't lose, no matter who goes.
I'm leaning towards Wolverine, for sucking up all the attention away from the other X-men.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Kpt._Rob said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
Mine would be aquaman.
I hate that guy.
Would you care to elaborate on this? Why do you hate Aquaman? Have you ever even read an Aquaman comic? Because some of them are actually pretty damn good. In particular the opening story arc for the current New 52 story arc of Aquaman was phenomenal. Granted, it was written by Geoff Johns who can (and will) make anything awesome. I guess what I'm asking is do you hate Aquaman? Or do you just hate the poorly written version of Aquaman who has frequently appeared in the more mainstream forms of the superhero genre?

OT: I don't think there's anyone I have any overwhelming desire to see die permanently. Any character can be really interesting with the right writer. Sure there are a couple characters floating about who I'm not a big fan of, but it's not like they're actively detracting from my comic book reading experience... I just don't read their comics. Sure I might have to deal with them in a crossover with a character I do like, but that minor inconvenience doesn't destroy their potential to be written well, and to play a role in an interesting narrative.
READ 90% OF THIS ENTIRE THREAD BECAUSE I AM NOT GETTING INTO THIS AGAIN! SHEEEEESH!

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
SpectacularWebHead said:
Kpt._Rob said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
Mine would be aquaman.
I hate that guy.

READ 90% OF THIS ENTIRE THREAD BECAUSE I AM NOT GETTING INTO THIS AGAIN! SHEEEEESH!
Perhaps you should consider editing your opening post with a disclaimer if you want to avoid rehashing old territory? In a thread with as many responses as this one, people are going to just respond to the opening post. If you've already elaborated on why you'd get rid of Aquaman, there's no reason not to put it in your opening post to keep people from asking.

Or you could just get mad at anyone who asks you a question. Your call.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool
Deadpool

He's seriously the Dane Cook of super heroes

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
Batman or Wolverine. I'd literally flip a coin. Can't lose, no matter who goes.
Batman, Because what will the internet do without it's beloved hero? :3

= D

I'd replace him with Viewtiful Joe.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
Kpt._Rob said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
Kpt._Rob said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
Mine would be aquaman.
I hate that guy.

Perhaps you should consider editing your opening post with a disclaimer if you want to avoid rehashing old territory? In a thread with as many responses as this one, people are going to just respond to the opening post. If you've already elaborated on why you'd get rid of Aquaman, there's no reason not to put it in your opening post to keep people from asking.

I pick getting mad. It's easier. Especially because your condesending tone irritates me.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
SpectacularWebHead said:
Kpt._Rob said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
Kpt._Rob said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
Mine would be aquaman.
I hate that guy.

I pick getting mad. It's easier. Especially because your condesending tone irritates me.
Well now, there's no need for such open hostilities. Clearly I made a mistake in looking for a fun debate on the merits of Aquaman, and I thought I'd give you a suggestion to help other misguided souls such as myself avoid annoying you with debate on an internet forum where people go to converse and debate. You could've had a sense of fun about it, and this could've been pleasant for everyone. But such rudeness!

That'll teach me to go looking for someone who wants to experience the joys of a pleasant back and forth about Aquaman.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
I'd vote for Batman to make my friend's head explode, but in all seriousness I would love to see Iron Man die. He's such a freaking asshole in the comics, but Robert Downy Jr. cannot be defeated on screen. That's a rule.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Oh man, I've just finished reading "The Boys" by Garth Ennis... That gave me quite a perspective on the whole superheroes thing. If you haven't read it - by all means, pick it up :)

OT: Superman, because screw him. Mr. Bland-goody-two-shoes.