Personal safety, Help!

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I'm going to echo what's been said already, but I feel I have decent input on the subject as someone who's lived in pretty rough areas of the UK and never had any trouble, even though almost everyone I know has.

Look the part. Confidence starts as an act. Thinking like a victim is the worst thing you can do. And carrying a knife is pretty high on the 'worst things to do' list as well. Walk with purpose. Basically, don't make yourself look like the easiest target. Look up the statistics, you're far more likely to get injured if you carry a knife.

If someone tries to mug you? Give them what they want. As horrible as it sounds your health is far more important than your cash or phone. If you absolutely are forced into a fight-or-flight, choose flight. It's the safest option.

What time would you be leaving the store? How far to your car? It honestly seems to me you're over reacting.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
sextus the crazy said:
Carry something threatening on your person, like a knife and try to appear confident. Pretty much do everything in your power to look like a bad target.
No, no, no. Worst advice ever. Police catch you with a knife and you're fucked, they don't care if it's for show and you don't plan on stabbing anyone. Police find a knife on you and you can kiss management chances goodbye, they don't take that stuff lightly because of how bad knife crime is in some areas.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Now, here lies a threat and for you an upcoming manager -in my opinion- an opportunity.

What would you do if you were the manager? Is there anything you can do about this, to guarantee your personell's safety on the job (and on the way there and on the way back). Surely, there's only so much you can do, but if you at least suggest something, you'd be suprised of the outcome.

Recently, a shop of the company I work for received a high-end security system that floods the place with smoke when there's a threat. Jewelers already have this quite often, but as a shop for electronics, we couldn't miss out. Works like a charm.

Would you feel safer if you had a panic button?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Confidence. Walk with confidence. Also, walk with no visible valuables, and never let anyone see you take repeat sums of cash out of your wallet. Pull a $20 out once, and do it again, and they'll expect you to have more.

(I find it rather disgusting that telling you all this is not considered 'defending robbery,' but many people think that giving advice for avoiding being sexually assaulted is somehow 'defending rape,' but that's a discussion for another time)

Seeing as you live in the UK, I won't suggest that you actually, you know, DEFEND yourself, since that can get you arrested there. That said, if the law permits pepper spray or tazers or any other device to help escape, go for it.

And consider a large hoody or something else that hides your face. However, if you're going to do so, make sure to emphasize the confidence. There is a small but noticeable difference between a guy wearing a hood that's afraid and trying to hide, versus a guy wearing a hood walking without giving a single fuck.

That all is advice for the walk to your business. Once inside the shop, there is not a whole lot you can do, given that it's the UK and all. I suppose, just make sure that the back room can be locked, just in case you need to lock yourself away from attackers.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I assume that you're not the only person working in this part of town, in the same shop in town, at the same time. If the area is really as bad as you say, try to meet up with someone part-way there or see if they'll be happy giving you a lift. I know you might shrink at the idea of telling colleagues that you're not happy walking about the street on your own, but if it's really that bad a place I'm sure they'll understand.

Other than that, just walk with confidence, look alert, and don't preoccupy yourself with headphones or your phone. There's no real go-to way of avoiding trouble outside of increasing the numbers, but there's plenty of ways of making yourself a target.

Also, I cannot emphasise this enough, do not go carrying about a knife. If you're getting attacked, it'll likely be more than one person and - considering the word 'stab' came up in your post at least twice - you're not going to want things to escalate. If you find yourself in that situation fucking throw your wallet at them. Do not try and Bruce Lee your way out of a mugging unless you're secretly wearing chain-mail.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Cardio, Bill! And get to know where you should and shouldn't go. Talk to your colleagues, etc.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Varrdy said:
As much as it might tempt you, walking around with a weapon stashed could land you in more trouble than it's worth! If you can, try and work on your cardio so you can run like fuck if challenged. It might sound wimpy but running like your bum is on fire and shouting for help is the first thing they teach you in self-defence classes.

Speaking of, see if you can take a few self-defence classes - they are pretty common and if anything else might help you be a bit more confident.

Avoid walking around alone if you can and stick to well-lit areas where there are people around. As other people have said, if an area is oddly desolate / devoid of people then there is usually a good reason.

Walking tall / looking tough is all well and good but it could also mark you out as a target just as much as looking terrified and jumping at every little noise. Not what you wanted to hear, I know but I wont lie to you. Brainless gits who mug / pick on people will use ANY excuse to pick on someone.

I hope that your job goes well and that you stay safe!
Mostly this, but I'd like to add that if you do take classes in self-defence: don't rely on them overly much. Contrary to what the movies lead you to believe: even if you're a professional fighter, you're probably going to lose a 5v1.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
KNIFE IS BAD IDEA FOR SELF DEFENSE

Couple reasons:
A) It's a lethal threat and if you have to use it, it's a lethal weapon... and while logically it's nice to have one if someone else does, you don't want to be in a knife fight, if personal safety is something you're after.
B) It's really hard to justify the use of a knife in self defense, legally. Incidents with edged weapons are a lot more likely to go to court if the police get involved.

I think this is pretty well universally true, especially so for some areas.

Get some martial arts training and be physically fit; it will appear in how you project yourself. Its my experience that thugs see right through a pretend 'macho walk', or might rise to challenge it. Beyond that, avoid confrontations and if forced into a fight, your best course is to stun and run. Strike quickly and move with force, then leg it.

Finally, if you're *determined* to arm yourself I'd suggest a weighty flashlight, PD spray, or hard stick.

*One edit, regarding Knives. They're wonderful tools and I'm not against having one about you, just don't get it involved in violence.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
get a friend to hang around, muggers mostly pick targets that are alone, plus, it'll make your shift less boring when things quiet down.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well, find out the worst "bad places/routes" in town and avoid them.
Drive to work, park the car in some workplace parking spot or a place with surveillance cameras, lock the car door and walk the safest / swiftest way to work.
What you can do is take pre emptive meassurements like said above, avoid known bad spots. I mean in any town you can happen to be the wrong person at the wrong place at the wrong time. That happens all the time, just because crime rate is a bit higher there doesn't mean you'll be struck immediately by crime when coming into town.
Hell, the high crime rate might just be because people report the crimes more often than in other towns or the cops are a lot more effective than in other towns and hence people get the idea that it's a crime center.
But yeah, good luck with your new job! and as you said, you might be a bit over dramatic about it? ;D

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
II2 said:
KNIFE IS BAD IDEA FOR SELF DEFENSE

Couple reasons:
A) It's a lethal threat and if you have to use it, it's a lethal weapon... and while logically it's nice to have one if someone else does, you don't want to be in a knife fight, if personal safety is something you're after.
B) It's really hard to justify the use of a knife in self defense, legally. Incidents with edged weapons are a lot more likely to go to court if the police get involved.

*One edit, regarding Knives. They're wonderful tools and I'm not against having one about you, just don't get it involved in violence.
Here here. I have a swiss army knife that I use at work (and end up needing it most days) and keep it in a holder on my belt, a knife can be an invaluable tool at the right times, just as the screwdriver, scissors and most of all the bottle opener (I don't carry it around me on days off, obviously- no need for it). Even if I was mugged while wearing it, say on the walk home, would I pull it out? No. Not ever. Exactly for the reasons you stated.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Kargathia said:
Mostly this, but I'd like to add that if you do take classes in self-defence: don't rely on them overly much. Contrary to what the movies lead you to believe: even if you're a professional fighter, you're probably going to lose a 5v1.
Good point - I could have been more specific. A few classes can't hurt but legging it while baying like a mating stag is the best, if not the most manly option. People may take the piss but at least you still have all your teeth!

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Yosharian said:
Possibly the best piece of advice in this thread and sadly sums up and makes what I was hoping to post completely obsolete. Just try and be sensible and level headed, keep yourself to yourself and use a bit of common sense and you should be fine.

Though just to reinforce what most are saying here, carrying a knife is a stupid idea. Aside from everything said, if they catch you with a knife or you produce one and they manage to get a hold of it, they're more than likely going to use it against you and will probably seriously injure/kill you with it.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Something else I forgot to mention that I used to do - I carried another wallet and phone with me. The wallet had expired cards in and about £20 in cash. I also threw in some business cards and other stuff to make it look like my main wallet. The other phone was not too old but not worth much either. It had a pay as you go SIM card in it and it worked. Again I loaded it with fake contacts and all that jazz.

I never was mugged, thankfully but the idea was that I handed over the "fake" wallet and phone as most muggers just waved a knife in your face and demanded you hand them over. Worst case is that you lose a bit of money and / or a phone you don't rely on or has personal information on. Of course the risk was that if they searched your pockets they'd find the real items and get pissy but I was told it's rare in most cases.

I dunno if this was a wise move or not, I just did it when in a rough town for a while. Never had to find out if it worked or not, thankfully. It could be a bit of a ball-ache carrying around 2 wallets and 2 phones but I figured the payoff would be worth it!

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Kargathia said:
Personally think taking self-defense classes is stupid. Too many poor/stupid/false teachers teaching stuff that would probably get you killed in an actual confrontation. Not to mention, taking a few self-defense classes isn't going to solve anything, you'll more than likely forget everything taught as soon as the adrenaline and fear takes over, or you simply don't have the skill to pull it off. Also would give you a false sense of self confidence.

Though do indeed take up some form of martial arts, I can't stress that enough, it's confident building, gets you fit and will help you out in such a situation. Just shop around for a good gym. Look for places that put a strong emphasis into sparring (which I'd argue as being the most important aspect of training, regardless of the style.) and has a good history. Just note that it's not an option for the short term. It can take years of dedicated training before you can use it with proficiency.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Are you allowed to carry mace in the UK? Mace works pretty good.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Silly question, but how does one "walk confidently"? Fast? Slowly? Strutting around like you own the place? Or just not giving a rat's ass?

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Varrdy said:
Something else I forgot to mention that I used to do - I carried another wallet and phone with me. The wallet had expired cards in and about £20 in cash. I also threw in some business cards and other stuff to make it look like my main wallet. The other phone was not too old but not worth much either. It had a pay as you go SIM card in it and it worked. Again I loaded it with fake contacts and all that jazz.

I never was mugged, thankfully but the idea was that I handed over the "fake" wallet and phone as most muggers just waved a knife in your face and demanded you hand them over. Worst case is that you lose a bit of money and / or a phone you don't rely on or has personal information on. Of course the risk was that if they searched your pockets they'd find the real items and get pissy but I was told it's rare in most cases.

I dunno if this was a wise move or not, I just did it when in a rough town for a while. Never had to find out if it worked or not, thankfully. It could be a bit of a ball-ache carrying around 2 wallets and 2 phones but I figured the payoff would be worth it!
^This is probably the most practical advice here.

OT: I personally don't carry much cash on me and I concealed carry but I live in the US so I'm good to go. I vote carry a false wallet and phone for your case or a heavy flashlight.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Vegosiux said:
Silly question, but how does one "walk confidently"? Fast? Slowly? Strutting around like you own the place? Or just not giving a rat's ass?
I'd say the latter. In my eyes, the main part of 'walking confidently' would be not looking skittish. Just look like you naturally belong there.