PETA Dumps on Battlefield 3

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
I've killed tons of rats in Oblivion...
Won't somebody think of the poor virtual rats?!

But somebody tell PETA that rat is a bit of an arse, really. I mean...he gets you killed if you don't kill him, what a prick!

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Won't someone think of the mudcrabs? PETA should be defending them!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
You....idiots.

If you've not played that set piece, you are given the option of stabbing a rat or getting gunned down like a rat.

That's not cruelty. That's survival.

I'll say again; you idiots.
But then they'd argue;

"But if you didn't play violent video games to start with, you wouldn't have to make that choice and the DIGITAL, TOTALLY NOT REAL, RAT WOULD STILL BE ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!"

Or words to that effect.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I think PETA need to re-think their positioning on this one a bit...

Maybe think about taking the word 'option' out of that sentence.

See, Peta...
When someone is given the option to do something, they don't have to do it, and if they don't have to do it, then it's up to the player.
And even then, they'd be sacrificing themselves for the sake of a virtual rat. Is PETA advocating suicide for the protection of imaginary animals?

I'm sure the developers don't advocate or encourage the slaughter of small land mammals...
It's an utterly insignificant, tiny segment of a lager whole which is filled to the brim with killing people.

Had it been an animal slaughter simulator, then yes, you'd have grounds to be concerned, but since it's a small part of a game which has nothing to do with the focus I think we're OK.
Video-games aren't going to turn us into animal-hating psychos just yet.

[As a quick after thought]

Where were PETA when Duke was stompin' rats to hell?

Feb 13, 2008
TimeLord said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
You....idiots.

If you've not played that set piece, you are given the option of stabbing a rat or getting gunned down like a rat.

That's not cruelty. That's survival.

I'll say again; you idiots.
But then they'd argue;

"But if you didn't play violent video games to start with, you wouldn't have to make that choice and the DIGITAL, TOTALLY NOT REAL, RAT WOULD STILL BE ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!"

Or words to that effect.
Not if I stabbed them in the throat first.

"Oh sorry...you didn't mind about people dying...did you?"

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Ahhhh, I was wondering when PETA would show up to complain. Next up: They'll be complaining about riding horses in Skyrim (Assuming that you can do such a thing) as wrong. Silly Peta.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
If I had my way, I'd dip the rat in liquid nitrogen, put some gloves on, whittle its nose to a nice sharp point, then stab the PETA spokesperson in the fucking eye with it.

PETA, the leader of which uses animal sourced insulin to treat her diabetes.

Not saying ANYONE should not have full access to any kind of medical aid that can help, but she actively speaks out against it, while using it.

PETA have done more to discredit caring for animals than the taste of bacon.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
How. Fucking. Stupid. ARE THESE PEOPLE!?
Okay... okay... calm down....

phew... alright. Now then. It was war. The rat would have blown your cover. It was a human being, or a rat. Apparently these people would choose the rat. Second, I don't think it was that inhumane, I mean, the rat died VERY quickly, a knife almost cutting your body in half will do that. Third and finally, it did not give you a choice, it was a succeed or fail QTE, if you didn't hit that button, you died (In a very funny way mind you) and had to try again.

SenseOfTumour said:
If I had my way, I'd dip the rat in liquid nitrogen, put some gloves on, whittle its nose to a nice sharp point, then stab the PETA spokesperson in the fucking eye with it.

PETA, the leader of which uses animal sourced insulin to treat her diabetes.

Not saying ANYONE should not have full access to any kind of medical aid that can help, but she actively speaks out against it, while using it.

PETA have done more to discredit caring for animals than the taste of bacon.
I did not know that. Lulz.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
25 posts went by without anyone posting the Penn and Teller episode about PETA?

Internet, I am disappoint.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Right, those Peta guys, the same ones who actually kill more animals per year then many other orginizations combined. I suppose ethical euthination is better then stabbing a rat, right?

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
You know the world is going to shit when people complain about a rat getting virtually killed in a 100% nowhere near real video game. The more I read this article the funnier it seems. I can picture PETA members wearing "Save The Rats!" T-Shirts...lol

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
They'll forget all about it as soon as they catch wind of the new show American Hoggers.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I agree killing one virtual rat is horrible. But stabbing/shooting thousands of virtual people is cool.
And that nuke that goes off in the game, eh, just 100,000 virtual people dead.

This flawed logic was brought to you by PETA.