lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Jezzy54 said:
lacktheknack said:
Jezzy54 said:
lacktheknack said:
Jezzy54 said:
Well, baby seal hunters kinda deserve it.
Um, no? Seal hunters need money, and the seal hunt brings in a ton of money.

Are you seriously basing an ethical decision on how CUTE something is?!

Are all Eskimos evil for eating seal?

Calves have bigger, wetter eyes than baby seals. Therefore, you must be evil for eating beef.

The list goes on.
Well, accent on "kinda". I'm not really saying they should die, but I do hate professional fur hunters. I can justify killing an animal to eat it, that's just part of nature. However, I take exception with killing baby animals if you can survive without doing so, and the fur industry as it is should not exist. The human race has, for the most part, gotten to the point where we don't need to take other animal's skin to survive, and so killing anything for fur in a first-world country like Canada is a selfish waste of animal life, and killing baby animals for that objective is doubly reprehensible. If someone kills growing animals for a living and to acquire a resource no buyer really needs, they are a terrible person and should GET ANOTHER JOB.
Three things:
1. They're animals. Baby animals are no better than the adult animal, the only major difference is that they're cuter. Killing a baby seal is exactly the same as killing an adult seal, unless cuteness is a factor for you.
2. No buyer needs them, but buyers will pay a LOT for them. Sorry, but we're in debt. We need cash. We'll take money where we can get it.
3. You find them a job. I dare you. (You clearly don't know the economic climate of the North West Territories and Nunavut...)
1. It's not because the baby seals are cute, it's that they're killed when they're the equivalent age of a child. At least let them see adulthood. Yeah, the fur's not the same then, but I really don't care.
2. It's not like seal clubbing only happens during a recession. What about when the economy was just fine? That excuse only applies to times like these, when I'll admit it's a legitimate reason, but I'm betting that most seal clubbers who need their job to survive right now were already seal clubbers when jobs were easier to find.
3. Oh, crap, you dare me? Hell, now I've gotta go to the other side of the world and single-handedly destroy the seal fur industry because someone on the internet dared me. No. Somehow, I doubt most will change jobs even when the recession ends.
I suppose we can let point 3 alone now (even if you kinda missed the point).

1. That's a bizarre stance. What, kill all the parents instead and let all the baby seals get eaten by bears, foxes and whales? Not only does this kill more seals overall, it wastes fur. I can't see any reason to not kill baby seals that isn't entirely emotionally driven.
2. No, really. The economy in the Territories is absolute crap. Even during "boom times", there's still not enough jobs for everyone. Of course, you wouldn't know this, being on the other side of the world and all.

Jezzy54

Oct 19, 2008
Arehexes said:
I mention the janitor thing because they don't always have a choice to pick any job they want, they could be just doing what they can to get by same with the seal clubber. And I don't have proof is seal over population cause I honestly don't care about seals being clubbed when other humans suffer from problems do to the hands from a fellow man. And what does it matter, it's a wild animal you won't befriend. Why put it on such a high pedistol, to be honest you sound like the prissy white girls in my writing class who freaked the hell out when a guy who worked at his family turkey farmed mentioned he had to kill baby chicks because they were sick and were going to die and get other chicks sick, but they didn't care because he killed a baby chick. And I wanna see a video of you telling a seal clubber to get a "real job".
Well, if--
Arehexes said:
1.Yes because all animals have the higher brain function to understand the concept of life and death.
2.Then instead of whining about it on a internet forum HELP THEM FIND A BETTER JOB. You sound like someone who instead of whining should be helping since you know everything.
3.Well you keep saying they don't have "real jobs" so help them. So for you sound like someone on a ivory tower talking down on people
But I--
lacktheknack said:
I suppose we can let point 3 alone now (even if you kinda missed the point).

1. That's a bizarre stance. What, kill all the parents instead and let all the baby seals get eaten by bears, foxes and whales? Not only does this kill more seals overall, it wastes fur. I can't see any reason to not kill baby seals that isn't entirely emotionally driven.
2. No, really. The economy in the Territories is absolute crap. Even during "boom times", there's still not enough jobs for everyone. Of course, you wouldn't know this, being on the other side of the world and all.
Alright, alright, I give up. Fine, you're right in that I'm not an expert on this. I'm not changing my basic stance, but I'll let you guys have this one. Some of those are good points, but mostly this is getting too much for me. I was just joking around when this started, admittedly in bad taste, and now I apologize for that, but I didn't know it'd get this serious. I just can't keep it up. You win.

Lisa Cerilli

Dec 16, 2010
Me thinks that people like to stand for the meaning of the group, and not the group itself. Or, they're going for a group which actually has the balls to accomplish things in interesting, unrealistic, random and stupid ways.

I forgot what I was saying though, so none of that really matters anyway.
Moriarty70 said:
Lefter said:
what your all forgetting is (though this may be a dark area and i must admit i am a little confused by it) PETA stands for good. They stand for opposing pointless animal slaughter eg banning the vicious act of bull fighting which we can all agree is a ridiculous public murder, banning the use of bear hides fo hats for the queens foot guard as well etc
Not all PETA members want everyone to be vegan, we would like it but we know its impossible.
we just want animals to live happily before they die and to be killed humaely, so basically no to Foie Gras and battery farming.
Also before you condemn us visit our site and read what we truelly stand for;
http://www.peta.org.uk/
I've always found it a little dishonest to say "not all members think that way" and still associate with a group whose leadership wants everyone to be vegan, provides vocal support for people who break laws to accomplish tasks, and preach an all or nothing view.

That being said, I say they just let Seth Green accept the award on their behalf. I suspect that we'd see the GaGa dress again.
Me thinks that people like to stand for the meaning of the group, and not the group itself. Or, they're going for a group which actually has the balls to accomplish things in interesting, unrealistic, random and stupid ways.

I forgot what I was saying though, so none of that really matters anyway.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I have no respect for anything PETA does. Seriously. PETA kills more dogs each year than everyone else combined (may be exaggeration), and they put out stupid ad campaigns that they know are stupid just to get attention. They also fund eco-terrorists. Yes, really [http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:i4eXdWasbvIJ:sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/story%3Fcolumnist%3Dguest_columnist%26page%3Dg_col_PETA_ELF_NYPost+peta+elf+connection&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a]. This is PETA.

Phoenix14

Jul 5, 2010
I think AS is probably offended by this award...no one wants to be associated with PETA lol

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
I'm just thinking, what happened to the whole "Guilt-free" nonsense with the "I'm better because I don't consume products that harm animals!" mentality? Apparently members of PETA get their panties in a twist when games seemingly promote that you simply have to brutally maim animals, yet actively killing human beings is not equally horrific in principle?

"Guuuiiiiiiiillllt-Free!"

Sure doesn't spur me to feel guilty for our ancestors making it to the top of the food chain, just that any sanctimonious hypocrite carrot-cultists had to follow along in that kill or be killed safety net.

The polarizing mindset that many PETA members encourage does nothing to win any credibility, let alone reasonable compromise amongst those who do not follow their alternative eating lifestyle. Vegetarians/Vegans and omnivores don't have to live in a strict dichotomy of animosity, after all.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
oh PETA. even when they're being nice, they come off as incredibly removed from reality.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
DazBurger said:
Fable 2?.. The game where you can torment chickens for fun and achievements?
There's also an achievement for shooting a rabbit, as I can recall.

But basically, this: