PETA: Mario is Pro Fur

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
"looks at article" Facedesk facedesk facedesk facedesk facedesk

...they do know that that suit is a decade old right?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Carsus Tyrell said:
That's it, I'm gonna go and hunt down some small animals and make me some fancy arse fur clothes. Winter is coming after all and anything that angers these nutters can only be a good thing.
I suggest using a .308, I hear it's rather effective.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Guess those hundreds of turtles, squid and fish just aren't cute enough to care about.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Dare I say it are they actally doing any damage. To me they are just some people with too much time on there hands. The more ludicris your clames are the more you are going to talk about them, the more traffic they are going to get.

Proof look at how big this thead is.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol...

so many worse examples of animal cruelty in other games

hell, I shot a bird in Half-Life 2. saw its little skull pop out and land on the cement

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
PETA are a joke, they make you want to go out and kill Animals, not save them.

ctalons

Jul 12, 2010
It's really sad to see that a group of people who believe in stories/games/movies of good over evil, self sacrifice for honor, and the acceptance of what/who is different then us (alien, creatures, mythological races, etc.)would not stand to protect the lives of life not so different to our own.

Geeks get bullyed and abused all the time for being different, when will we offer the compassion and respect to other life that we want ourselves.

Maybe we should all go watch/read/play that story where we play the hero that accepts the(fill in the blank) that is different themself and saves the day because of it. Because honestly that's like 75% of all the sci-fi and fanasty stories out there.

Pratice what you preach, don't be a hypocrite.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
ctalons said:
It's really sad to see that a group of people who believe in stories/games/movies of good over evil, self sacrifice for honor, and the acceptance of what/who is different then us (alien, creatures, mythological races, etc.)would not stand to protect the lives of life not so different to our own.

Geeks get bullyed and abused all the time for being different, when will we offer the compassion and respect to other life that we want ourselves.

Maybe we should all go watch/read/play that story where we play the hero that accepts the(fill in the blank) that is different themself and saves the day because of it. Because honestly that's like 75% of all the sci-fi and fanasty stories out there.

1. Thanks for bumping the thread. No, not really.

2. PETA is doing nothing but attention whoring, in this case more so than usual, and they're even outright admitting it. The Super Mario games have absolutely nothing to do with promoting the production or wearing of fur garments.

3. Being compassionate towards animals is awesome. PETA on the other hand, is hypocritical and stupid.

ctalons

Jul 12, 2010
SuperTrainStationH said:
ctalons said:

2. PETA is doing nothing but attention whoring, in this case more so than usual, and they're even outright admitting it. The Super Mario games have absolutely nothing to do with promoting the production or wearing of fur garments.

3. Being compassionate towards animals is awesome. PETA on the other hand, is hypocritical and stupid.
1. The thread was listed as "new on the frontpage". Not my doing, but why not add to a discussion that has more to do with then pixels.

2. Do the ends justify the means when it means lives?
There have been plenty of advocacy groups that have raged against video games for there "in game play". If there can be outrage about what a woman wears in a video game (ex. Soul Calibur) or the roles minorities play in a video game (ex. Resident Evil 5) then PETA has every right to point out that a kids game references the real killing of animals.

3. Being compassionate toward animals? I have heard this from many people that they love animals and have compassion for them. That's great, but the truth is that no matter how many dogs you pet, when you eat their friends your not really compassionate or an animal lover, are you?
So before we pick on PETA's hypocritical actions maybe we should look in the mirror first.
I don't agree with everything PETA has done and I am not here to defend them. I write to remind us that what we play the hero because heros do the righ thing and never take a life unless they have to. Be a hero to an animal today, don't eat meat. Millions of people do it everyday.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
ctalons said:
SuperTrainStationH said:
ctalons said:

1. The thread was listed as "new on the frontpage". Not my doing, but why not add to a discussion that has more to do with then pixels.

There have been plenty of advocacy groups that have raged against video games for there "in game play". If there can be outrage about what a woman wears in a video game (ex. Soul Calibur) or the roles minorities play in a video game (ex. Resident Evil 5) then PETA has every right to point out that a kids game references the real killing of animals.

3. Being compassionate toward animals? I have heard this from many people that they love animals and have compassion for them. That's great, but the truth is that no matter how many dogs you pet, when you eat their friends your not really compassionate or an animal lover, are you?
So before we pick on PETA's hypocritical actions maybe we should look in the mirror first.
I don't agree with everything PETA has done and I am not here to defend them. I write to remind us that what we play the hero because heros do the righ thing and never take a life unless they have to. Be a hero to an animal today, don't eat meat. Millions of people do it everyday.

Super Mario 3D Land doesn't reference or glorify the killing of animals for their fur at all. In fact, in the Mario universe, Tanookis are depicted as sapient beings.

Mario's suits are magical costumes based on cartoon chicanery and Japanese mythology.

Even PETA themselves have admitted that at this point and acknowledge that their only goal was to draw attention to themselves with the shock value of their outrageous claims.

No child is going to ask their parents to buy a coat make from the skin of Japanese raccoon dogs after playing Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario 3D Land.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
ctalons said:
the truth is that no matter how many dogs you pet, when you eat their friends your not really compassionate or an animal lover, are you?

... Why do you assume dogs and chickens/cows/etc. are friends?

Indeed, given half a chance, my dog would round the local farmers chicken coup, eating those 'friends' of his (and unlike me, he wouldn't bother to make sure it's dead before he starts eating it).

edit - sorry to SuperTrainStationH, misquoted.

ctalons

Jul 12, 2010
SuperTrainStationH said:
ctalons said:
SuperTrainStationH said:
ctalons said:

Super Mario 3D Land doesn't reference or glorify the killing of animals for their fur at all. In fact, in the Mario universe, Tanookis are depicted as sapient beings.

Mario's suits are magical costumes based on cartoon chicanery and Japanese mythology.

Even PETA themselves have admitted that at this point and acknowledge that their only goal was to draw attention to themselves with the shock value of their outrageous claims.

No child is going to ask their parents to buy a coat make from the skin of Japanese raccoon dogs after playing Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario 3D Land.
The point if any that PETA is making is that Mario is a world wide beloved character and if he is seen wearing a "fur coat" children on some level might feel that is an endorsement to wear fur. You may not like the connection, but the truth is animals are being killed for fur for no reason other then something makes it seem OK. And that thing can be Mario. Not a strong connection I give you that, but it is what it is.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
PETA: "Think of the poor, imaginary animals!"

Yeah, that sounds about right. For PETA.

I mean, I grew up in coon country, and I played Mario 3 a lot.
...So why do I not ride around looking for small furry animals to skin?

Oh right, BECAUSE I CAN DISCERN REALITY FROM FICTION.

ctalons

Jul 12, 2010
But does it effect you at all?
Do you eat meat? Do you feel animals lives are not worth saving if it means eating a salad instead of a burger?

Clearly, society thinks animals are things and not lives or else we would treat them with more respect.

"Does video games inform behavior?" argument has been around for a long time.
There has been research that says it does, but I guess it is probably a very low level influence.

So you play a killer in a game, does that mean you want to kill? Nope.

But there can be something to be said about becoming desensitize to violence.
And maybe contribute to negative ways in which our society works.
Look at historical how media has informed and still does effect how we think of the world.
There is a done of examples about this as I stated in an above post.

The point is that we can do better.

SuperTrainStationH

Oct 4, 2010
The magical raccoon dog costume based on Japanese mythology Mario wears in 3D Land has as much to do with encouraging children to support the fur garment industry as Apple's computers, smartphones, and music players have to do with glorifying the Fall of Adam and Eve because their logo is a fruit with a bite taken out of it.

Even PETA themselves admitted this was just an attention grab. Seriously taking their campaign at face value is foolish. It's okay to be opposed to the senseless killing of animals, but to say that this Super Mario is in any way to blame for the killing of animals for their fur is patently outrageous.

It's extremist positions like these that make my life difficult when I have to explain to people why I myself am not a crazy extremist merely because I choose not to eat animals.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
You know, I'm all for protecting animals and such, but every time I hear about PETA they are doing dumb shit like this.

Of course, ragging on games is the cool thing to do these days politically.