PETA Responds to World at War Dog Killing Controversy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PETA Responds to World at War Dog Killing Controversy

It was inevitable: Call of Duty: World at War [http://www.peta.org/] and has even offered its "Developing Empathy for Animals" seminar to Activision Blizzard absolutely free.

It was reported last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90350] that a group of Massachusetts high school students had taken offense at Activision's Call of Duty: World at War FPS, specifically a sequence in which players shoot and kill a number of German attack dogs, and had put together a petition protesting the slaughter which they hoped to eventually send to the publisher. With attention drawn to the admittedly minor furor by numerous gaming sites, it was only a matter of time before PETA weighed in on the matter.

It took three days but the notorious animal rights group has indeed involved itself, issuing a statement condemning the game. "Not since we were pitted against Nazi attack dogs when we first escaped from website [http://www.idsoftware.com/games/wolfenstein/wolf3d/].

"During the course of the game, you are forced to shoot attack dogs and you can actually unlock a 'reward' that allows you to unleash a pack of attack dogs on enemies," the blog post continued. "In a post-Activision Blizzard [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick], which publishes the popular game, would take abusing dogs for entertainment purposes more seriously."

The group has offered to treat Activision employees to its "Developing Empathy for Animals" seminar at no charge and has also sent a pack of Nintendogs [http://www.nintendogs.com/] to the Activision offices. "With a little Nintendogs influence, perhaps the next Call of Duty game will have you unlock achievements for petting the dogs you encounter and going on walks or playing Frisbee with them," the group said. And after that you can invite the SS Panzer Division Totenkopf out for lunch and maybe see if they'd like to join your book club.

Activision responded to PETA's calls for kinder, gentler Nazi attack dogs in a statement sent to GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/03/23/activision-barks-back-peta-call-duty-world-war]. "In order to create believable, real-world scenes and heighten the game playing experience, Call of Duty: World at War depicts the ruthless and gritty combat of World War II," it said. "Dogs are included in the game for authenticity since they were used extensively by German, Japanese, U.S. and Soviet troops during the war. Activision in no way endorses or condones cruelty to animals, and we don't believe the game will encourage cruelty in any way."

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
"With a little Nintendogs influence, perhaps the next Call of Duty game will have you unlock achievements for petting the dogs you encounter and going on walks or playing Frisbee with them," the group said.

"In a post-Michael Vick world, you'd think that Activision Blizzard, which publishes the popular game, would take abusing dogs for entertainment purposes more seriously."
I don't even know if PETA takes themselves seriously.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
So killing humans is perfectly fine, but shooting a couple of vicious attack dogs that will tear your throat out is cruel? ok...

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Here's an alternative headline: "Activision to PETA over Dog-Killing Controversy: Bite Me"

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Nintendogs isn't going to melt the hearts of people who code their Grandfather's worst war experiences for a living....

What I want to know is how the postman got past the lava and on to the 100% dog rib drawbridge to deliver the Nintendogs.

Though I have to admit PETA supporting Nazi dogs(and their cause) is very brave of them

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
lasherman said:
So killing humans is perfectly fine, but shooting a couple of vicious attack dogs that will tear your throat out is cruel? ok...
Remember, PETA couldn't care less about humans.

Slug Nut

Feb 11, 2009
Apparently shooting these 3D dog simulations dead is more evil than setting Japanese on fire, or shooting Germans in the groin. (Don't lie, I know you all shoot nazis in the groin too.) But seriously, where are the priorities of these people? Fake, not real, 3D people can be shot and killed in painful and horrible ways while fake, not real, 3D dogs being shot is wrong to these people. Are they actually thinking this game will cause players to go outside and shoot someone's dog?

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Good response by Blizz. I truely HATE it when companies cave it to this kind of foolishness. Giving validity to that kind of nonsense perpetuates it and we all wind up with a PC snowball of increasing lunacy.

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Malygris said:
"With a little Nintendogs influence, perhaps the next Call of Duty game will have you unlock achievements for petting the dogs you encounter and going on walks or playing Frisbee with them," the group said.
I want the job of being PETA's official spokesperson. It seems like they get to sit around all day thinking up the most ridiculous things they possibly can.

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
meatloaf231 said:
lasherman said:
foolish realy

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's a video game, get over it, I don't see anyone crying over the countless digital lives lost in countless games mutants, and zombies are okay to kill, but not dogs? I calling racism on this

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
lasherman said:
Now you get it.

I'm all for animal rights, and if this in anyway harmed animals I'd be against it. But it doesn't...It doesn't encourage you to abuse animals, it's a war simulator, and there were dogs.
Who knows, it might even encourage hunters to stay home and just hunt on their game. PETA is looking at this the completely wrong way.

jeremyTH

Jul 28, 2008
meatloaf231 said:
lasherman said:
Even though, techniclly, WE ARE F-ING ANIMALS!!!!

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Surely we must be nearing the point at which we learn to treat PETA and their rambling as we would the Westboro Baptist Church - upon hearing about their latest escapades, thinking "awww, isn't it cute that they still think people give a shit" and then moving on without a care?

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
1. Where was this argument in call of duty 4 the first game where you could snap a dog's neck.
2. "With a little Nintendogs influence, perhaps the next Call of Duty game will have you unlock achievements for petting the dogs you encounter and going on walks or playing Frisbee with them," the group said. And after that you can invite the SS Panzer Division Totenkopf out for lunch and maybe see if they'd like to join your book club? It's an FPS not the retarded game these people would approve of. What do they want, fairies to come and grant everyone's wish?