Peter Capaldi May Leave Doctor Who After Tenth Series

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
And the easiest way to kick up a shitstorm is to suggest a woman take over a geek-favourite role.

thaluikhain said:
Yes, let us never speak of that ever again. Nor the sonic sunglasses Moffatt trolled us with.
You're just jealous that you're not metal like The Doctor.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't watch Dr. Who but isn't this standard procedure? You get a new actor every other season?

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
thaluikhain said:
Yes, let us never speak of that ever again. Nor the sonic sunglasses Moffatt trolled us with.
The sunglasses made his reclaiming of the screwdriver all the more mythic to me.
Like a warrior picking up his rightful sword.
He knows who he is again.
After all that doubt, he's back.
The Doctor.
and he's here to make everything better.

Something Amyss said:
You're just jealous that you're not metal like The Doctor.
The Doctor has a history of being metal.

No Matt, not like that.
Stop it.

As to Capaldi leaving...
I sincerely hope not.
He's good.
Real good.
Though I have to admit there's something to what others here have already said, that at least he hasn't outstayed his welcome.
I wanted more of all the doctors when their time came.
They do say leave the audience wanting more...

At least there's the audio dramas.
Looking forward to the three Donna and TennentDoc later this year.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Yes. With all due respect to Ms. Amyss, that didn't come across to me as cool, just sad. (That said, I didn't much care for Matt Smith, either, so maybe I'm just old and Don't Get It.)

I will be sorry to see Capaldi go. I would like to have seen how he could have been used by a different writer more apt to embrace the classic Doctor Who aesthetic.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
If Capaldi's in Dr Who, now might be a chance to get into the show. It's just...usually too whimsical for my taste. Sci-fi feels like it must make me think deep and dark and possibly suicidal too. Or something. Though, that tank-guitar picture has pretty much sold it on its' own. o_O

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
I don't watch Dr. Who but isn't this standard procedure? You get a new actor every other season?
It's varied a lot. Looking at the modern show, Christopher Eccleston got one season, while David Tennant and Matt Smith got three + holiday specials.

If you're looking at classic Who, Tom Baker had seven seasons, and Paul McGann got one TV movie. It's all over the place.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
i hope they dont go for another younger looking actor. i LIKE capaldi being older looking.
to be frank. i personaly am sick of the 'sexable' version of the Doctor.
i do understand that this more apealing version is why one of my fave shows is now considered watchable or even slightly mainstream. that you dont get bullied any longer for watching it (as a kid i mean. they bullied me mercilessly at school, but being a fan of Dr Who was just the extra icing on the nerdcake for them)

and i didnt mind it once....but every Dr since Eccleston has had his girl companions throwing themselves at him (except donna, thankfully) and i was very relived to see the reactions of 'OMG! he's so OLD *wails and crys*' from you tube ect.
i thought FINALY! we can get some work done.

but if the bbc realy want to know what the reason for the shows loss of numbers, its simple.
YOU PUT IT ON TOO LATE, YOU DUMBARSES!
between 6pm and 7pm is optimal for Dr Who. why? its not so late that other things are on. its not so late that the (very few nowadays) stricter moms n dads will tell their kids no, or that its too grown up now.
and it gets the group of people that just slaps on bbc1 while they are getting ready to go out on the satday night binge.

but they wanted that timeslot for junk like the voice or come dancing.
so its their own fault if the numbers fall because its on at nearly 9pm.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
albino boo said:
Sixcess said:
I doubt they'll take a single step out of their white-english-male-under-40 comfort zone.
I'm sorry but that utter nonsense. The demographic for those that watch is Dr Who 6-70.
By white-english-male-under-40 I was referring to the casting crtieria for the next Doctor. I was not referring to any part of the audience.

This decision is going to be driven by money, and the people who are spending the money on Doctor Who merchandise are not the noisy minority of agenda pushers on social media. They are kids (or rather their parents) and they are adult fans - two groups who are not particularly receptive to change.

Doctor Who is too big, too mainstream and too profitable to experiment with. A top rated show that makes a lot of money for the BBC is not the place to take that kind of risk - and for all they will never admit it in public, the Powers That Be must know that it would be a risk.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
To be honest, I have not really enjoyed this series doctor. It's nothing against Peter Capaldi, I wouldn't put it on him at all, he is a great actor I think. I just haven't enjoyed how the Doctor was written for the most part. I enjoyed the upbeat nature of the Matt Smith the most out of them all I think, probably because I'm pretty upbeat myself. The brooding Peter Capaldi doctor is not really up my alley. Also... the sonic sunglasses were really annoying for me. That's not to say I didn't enjoy some of it, it's hard not to. But I look forward to see what happens going forward.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mikeybb said:
The Doctor has a history of being metal.

No Matt, not like that.
Stop it.
In fairness, metal health nearly did drive him mad.

Johnny Novgorod said:
The average is about 4 seasons, though that might have been lowered somewhat with the new series' run. There have bee four Doctors (I suppose you could count the War Doctor for this one, but I'm not going to) in the new franchise, with one lasting one season and the rest lasting around 3 each (assuming Capaldi does, in fact, leave).

So yeah, close to standard.

Mortuorum said:
Yes. With all due respect to Ms. Amyss, that didn't come across to me as cool, just sad. (That said, I didn't much care for Matt Smith, either, so maybe I'm just old and Don't Get It.)
Well, the guy is going off to die. He's basically, at this point, given up. I would also call that sad.

Still. It's Peter Capaldi.

Riding a tank.

Playing a guitar solo.

Xsjadoblayde said:
If Capaldi's in Dr Who, now might be a chance to get into the show. It's just...usually too whimsical for my taste. Sci-fi feels like it must make me think deep and dark and possibly suicidal too. Or something. Though, that tank-guitar picture has pretty much sold it on its' own. o_O
See? It's converting the masses!

Silverbane7 said:
i hope they dont go for another younger looking actor. i LIKE capaldi being older looking.
to be frank. i personaly am sick of the 'sexable' version of the Doctor.
I agree (though I have trouble seeing Matt Smith as "sexable" in any sense). I liked the bit where, after his regenerations kept making him younger and younger, the new set made him older again. I wouldn't mind seeing that as a pattern.

However, I suspect that they will want someone that youth can identify with and/or fawn over, so we're likely to see the age swing young again.

It's going to be a shame if the hero can be anyone ends up being repeatedly made into a hot 20-something, but I've been told pandering is a good thing, so....

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sixcess said:
Doctor Who is too big, too mainstream and too profitable to experiment with.
Which is why they've taken the time to use it to launch two spinoffs.

And why they've radically altered the general formula. And why they cast a 900 year old man at the risk of alienating millennials.

Though if the show hasn't been tampered with enough in your eyes, then the "too successful" thing still seems like a bad argument. Doctor Who's seen a serious ratings decline. Maybe, then, more of the same isn't the answer.

...though I will make it clear I don't think it is more of the same.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
James Nesbitt has to play The Doctor. James Nesbitt was born to be The Doctor. I don't care that doesn't want to.

Joking aside, I'd rather like to see Ken Stott in the role.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Please let Brian Blessed be the next doctor. I may actually start watching the series again if that happens...

EDIT:
Also: glad to see Moffat go. He was good at writing single episodes, but his story arcs were pretty shit.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Which is why they've taken the time to use it to launch two spinoffs.

And why they've radically altered the general formula. And why they cast a 900 year old man at the risk of alienating millennials.

Though if the show hasn't been tampered with enough in your eyes, then the "too successful" thing still seems like a bad argument. Doctor Who's seen a serious ratings decline. Maybe, then, more of the same isn't the answer.

...though I will make it clear I don't think it is more of the same.
You are looking at Dr Who through North American eyes. Dr Who is something that parents and grandparents watch with their children and grandchildren. Each generation has its own Dr and so what if 18 year olds dont watch it now, they will switch back on when they have kids. Part of the UK success of Dr Who is the nostalgic power of childhood memories. The reason why the last season had a serious ratings decline was it was up against the first Rugby world cup at home since 1991 or the X factor. Avoiding the X factor is why Dr has been pushed back into 2017.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Alleged_Alec said:
Please let Brian Blessed be the next doctor. I may actually start watching the series again if that happens...
This, all of this. Throws all of the things at this to make this be a thing.

I can see him getting into a shouting match with the Dalek's "EXTERMINATE!! HOW DARE YOU SIR!!"

Dalek: "OW, LOWER YOUR VOICE, THERE IS NO NEED TO SHOUT!"

BB: "I'M NOT SHOUTING!!"

Dalek: "....WE'RE DOOMED!"

I haven't watched more than....I think 3 Capaldi Doctor episodes? I dunno, they just, didn't grab me. I didn't have a problem with Peter so much as the episodes. They just didn't feel all that engaging. Though part of that is my wish to still have Matt Smith, as I loved him as the Doctor. But I have 2 friends who still regularly watch the show, and their general opinion of it is "Meh. It's ok." So yeah, I'm not too keen to try and pick it back up.

Though if Tank Doctor is a thing, perhaps he regenerated in a Post-Apocalypse earth and became Guitar Guy from Fury Road. There are some strong similarities in those two.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
Albino Boo is right.
my mother's Doctor was Jon Pertwee, while i 'grew up' with Sylvester McCoy....however i love all of them except Paul McGann to be honest.
he did a decent job of it, considering everything he was up against...maybe if he had a series of his own, i might have liked him better.

as for the 2 spin off's..if ya mean Torchwood and the sarah jane chronicles, both are gone.
the BBC seemed to me, to murder Torchwood, even though it was a decent series (tho i personaly thought things went downhill after the start of the 2nd season, and as far as im concerned, children of earth never occured and i will give anyone that tells me otherwise a nice big bucket of retcon..or maybe i will have the retcon instead XD)
they went out of their way, it felt to me, to place it at bad timeslots and on bbc2 aswell (bbc2 seems like where they send shows to ether be re-shown till they die or where they want them to be ignored) and to do things just to make people hate the show or the characters. season one was perfect to me, its just a shame they went so downhill after that.

but they have passed up perfectly good spots where new spin offs would have worked.
for those who liked it, there could have been the further adventures of both River Song and of the Doctors clone-daughter (though in seperate adventure series of course) perhaps one for the adults (river) and one for the kids with his clone-daughter.
there was even space for the victorian trio.

though apparently the internet has spoken and everyone hated all of them (i didnt, but then they ignore me lol. i dont twitter or facebook, egro, i dont exist as part of the net)

Tank Doctor....that reminds me of one cartoon of Tank girl where she says 'my tank is like Dr Who's TARDIS. its bigger on the inside than it is on the outside, and its full of junk'
i wouldnt mind seeing alt'verse Doctors....if they haddnt pulled all that closing up of the universes and stuff.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
albino boo said:
You are looking at Dr Who through North American eyes.
I'm not sure how North American eyes change the formula of a show or make the UK ratings less of an issue. And I especially don't know how it restates to the youth point when non-Americans have echoed the same sentiment. Two of those appear to be facts and one appears to be bolstered by Brits.

Also, I'm pretty sure my eyes are Canadian. That's where the mutant I stole 'em from was.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Something Amyss said:
albino boo said:
I'm not sure how North American eyes change the formula of a show or make the UK ratings less of an issue. And I especially don't know how it restates to the youth point when non-Americans have echoed the same sentiment. Two of those appear to be facts and one appears to be bolstered by Brits.

Also, I'm pretty sure my eyes are Canadian. That's where the mutant I stole 'em from was.
I'll tell you what I bet my 42 years of living in Britain and watching Dr Who with my father in the 70s and him watching it with my kids versus your internet expertise. Furthermore you can't see why the world cup of the 2nd most popular sport in the counrty being on at the same time as Dr Who rather proves my point about you not understanding that the UK is different. You also didn't know that its used to be on before strictly come dancing and is now on after. This is part of ratings war with ITV to get the top Saturday night viewing figures for their flagship programme. The BBC have been running Dr Who as spoiler to cut the X factors and rugby world cups viewing figures not to maximise the viewing figures. http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/nov/06/doctor-who-scheduling-pawn-bbc-peter-capaldi

There is no equivalent to the BBC in the states and because of the smaller audience the 3 broadcasters that produce original content means they have to go after broader audiences than the US TV. Dr Who is not the only example of TV programmes of becoming multi generational traditions. Coronation Street has been broadcast since 1960 with nearly 9000 episodes shown and the Archers radio soap has been broadcast since 1951 with nearly 18000 made. Its different counrty with a different media market.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Something Amyss said:
albino boo said:

There is an issue about Dr Who being made with more of a US audience in mind, though.

Of course, it's paid for by the BBC, which is tax payer funded, so there is unhappiness about this.

(Also, 3 spin offs, don't forget K9, everyone does.)

Alleged_Alec said:
When he was guest starring in "Mindwarp" (not a great story for various reasons), there was much talk of him doing it, and lots of excitement.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
albino boo said:
I'll tell you what I bet my 42 years of living in Britain and watching Dr Who with my father in the 70s and him watching it with my kids versus your internet expertise.
Okay, except I'm not arguing internet expertise. And the Brits seem to agree with me, by and large.

Honestly, if you're not even going to bother listening to what I say, why respond? Why make up claims of internet expertise to knock down?

thaluikhain said:
There is an issue about Dr Who being made with more of a US audience in mind, though.
That would seem to further run contrary to albino boo's point, though. Remember, the argument is that I'm looking at this through American eyes. Well, if it's being made with my eyes in mind, that's not really a problem anymore.

But that;s actually of little concern to me and does little to alter why I was talking in the first place. I actually don't particularly think what nation it's aimed at is of import.

Of course, it's paid for by the BBC, which is tax payer funded, so there is unhappiness about this.
I am aware, for the record.

(Also, 3 spin offs, don't forget K9, everyone does.)
Not so much "forget" as "give it the Highlander 2 Treatment."