Peter Capaldi May Leave Doctor Who After Tenth Series

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
It sucks that Capaldi might be leaving since the last two seasons feel like they were over very quickly that I never felt like we got to know the 12th doctor as much. I don't think it helped that in my opinion he was saddled with possibly the most insufferable companion, for the past 2 seasons it felt like the Clara Oswald Show with Capaldi as the grumpy sidekick.

I mean the last few episodes of the last season really showed off what Capaldi could do when the focus was on him (even thought most of that focus was on him "being sad and angry that clara wasn't around")

My hope is that this next season is capaldi flying solo for the most part and only near the end of the season find a potential companion for his next regeneration, if the next season is truly his last.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Something Amyss said:
albino boo said:
I'll tell you what I bet my 42 years of living in Britain and watching Dr Who with my father in the 70s and him watching it with my kids versus your internet expertise.
Okay, except I'm not arguing internet expertise. And the Brits seem to agree with me, by and large.

Honestly, if you're not even going to bother listening to what I say, why respond? Why make up claims of internet expertise to knock down?
Try reading the thread. Then perhaps you will find out the the internet is not representative of the country as a whole. Its almost like I live here and you don't.
albino boo said:
Sixcess said:
The BBC will talk about it, of course, just like they always do - it's good for free media coverage and it makes them appear to be 'progressive' - but they will not do it. I doubt they'll take a single step out of their white-english-male-under-40 comfort zone.
I'm sorry but that utter nonsense. The demographic for those that watch is Dr Who 6-70. Those spend their time commenting about it on forums and twitter is not a representation of those that watch it. Its the same way that twitter activist don't represent the whole country. Perhaps remembering the result of the last general election and comparing it to twitter trends. Its worth remembering there are far more people that drive white vans than tweet and an organisation that is paid through a mandatory license fee can't just make programs to keep middle class Guardian readers happy.
Not so much "forget" as "give it the Highlander 2 Treatment."[/quote]

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Sixcess said:
albino boo said:
Sixcess said:
I doubt they'll take a single step out of their white-english-male-under-40 comfort zone.
I'm sorry but that utter nonsense. The demographic for those that watch is Dr Who 6-70.
By white-english-male-under-40 I was referring to the casting crtieria for the next Doctor. I was not referring to any part of the audience.
Um, you know Peter Capaldi is 57 right? Also Christopher Eccleston was 40-41 during his stint. By and large I agree that they probably won't break from formula when they cast their next Doctor, I'm just perplexed that you think "Under 40" is a part of said formula when it only applies to 50% of the actors to date (and then only if you only count from the 2005 start of the new series).

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
I feel it would be a shame if Capaldi left so soon. I really feel he's becoming quite a fun Doctor. But Tennant said he wanted to play him some more and the change of director put a stop to that, so I fear Capaldi may also be cut before his time.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
ive watched dr who since the second doctor and even suffered through the obnoxious colin baker doctor but capaldi did something that i actually thought was impossible. killed my interest in the show in the space of the first 4 episodes he did.

so yes im quite happy to see him gone and hope the next person is better

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
I'll be sad to see him go, I really liked Capaldi's version of The Doctor. The only problem was that he got saddled with a lot of stupid storylines

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
fluxy100 said:
I'll be sad to see him go, I really liked Capaldi's version of The Doctor. The only problem was that he got saddled with a lot of stupid storylines
I gotta agree here. Capaldi is a great Doctor so far. And I feel a change of director might be just what he needs to be seen as one of the better ones. But chances are that the new director will have a new Doctor.

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
Moffat is leaving the show? That's great news, I vaguely remember hating episodes with his name on them. Nothing to say about Capaldi, since I haven't seen any episodes of him yet.