Peter Molyneux Asks Reviewers To Ask Around

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I don't want to jump the gun here, but is there a reason they are waiting to release the online coop content outside of their own rush to release an incomplete game?

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Rooster Cogburn post=7.73509.798704 said:
I don't want to jump the gun here, but is there a reason they are waiting to release the online coop content outside of their own rush to release an incomplete game?
My thoughts as well.

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Aries_Split post=7.73509.798714 said:
My thoughts as well.
The faster it's on shelves, the faster they're raking in money?

Really, this whole thing smells fishy. Hold off reviews until co-op is working? Usually the only reason developers want to hold off reviews is because they know that reviews will be negative and will drive down sales.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Nonetheless, Fable 2 is making me consider getting a 360, but as Molenuex is known for over-promising I'll be patient and wait for reviews.

Novajam

Apr 26, 2008
Ivoryagent post=7.73509.799407 said:
I LOVE my dog. And he LOVES me.
And then he dies.

Also, does anyone else thing that Fable 2 is going to have more focus on relationships than actual story? Since GDC 2007 it seems the only kinds of updates have been about co-op or the living breathing world thing.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I have learned to take everything that Peter Molyneux with enough salt to cover the ruins of Carthage twice over. He makes games that are not that bad on their own, but his over-hyping crushes their critical reception.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The greater question at issue here is if he is telling the reviewers to wait for the online content before completing their reviews, then why send out advance copies of the game?

More crap on a stick from a man whose idea of game design is to finish a popsicle, shove the remains into his rectum, and package the result in convenient machine-readable laser disc form.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Novajam post=7.73509.799188 said:
Aries_Split post=7.73509.798714 said:
My thoughts as well.
The faster it's on shelves, the faster they're raking in money?

Really, this whole thing smells fishy. Hold off reviews until co-op is working? Usually the only reason developers want to hold off reviews is because they know that reviews will be negative and will drive down sales.
Not necessarily true, with MMO's you need to hold off reviews because if they didn't everyone would score a 5/10 on launch day- omgwtfbbq juggernaught World of Warcraft included.

But Fable 2 isn't a MMO, is it? As much as Peter seems to wish it was with all his play online with freinds bullshit... if I had freinds I wouldn't be in a dark room playing a videogame in the first place, says I! And so says the precious, because precious loves me yes it does...

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Honestly, it's all been downhill for PM since Populous and to a lesser extent Syndicate. And those games were a long, long, long time ago.

I really don't know how he gets away with his reputation any more. He just doesn't deliver.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
This is called a vote of no confidence from no less than the game's creator.
Pretty much this. If you can't be confident in your own game getting good reviews from gamers, then...well, time to redesign and improve your game, I think.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
He mostly just wants to look "out there" and thinking and caring about his gamers. Unfortunately he is like a politician, cant hold up to his end of the 'bargain'.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
domicius post=7.73509.799968 said:
Honestly, it's all been downhill for PM since Populous and to a lesser extent Syndicate. And those games were a long, long, long time ago.

I really don't know how he gets away with his reputation any more. He just doesn't deliver.
Because Populous and Syndicate were fucking brilliant.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
This is relevant to my interests.....I hope that Molyneux really delivers on this one, otherwise all of the reviewers in the world will form an angry mob and most likely lynch him for raising their hopes up and smashing them down again. (Fable I, I'm looking at you)

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
It seems to be an almost chronic problem with a number of developers these days - their inability to let a game speak for itself.

Peter Molyneux, the personality, eclipses any innovations or qualities the games he creates might have. He and a few others would be wise to keep a lower profile with subsequent releases.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Ivoryagent post=7.73509.800824 said:
domicius post=7.73509.799968 said:

The man has been hailed as "one of the greatest personalities" in the gaming industry, when all the fuck he does is hype up his completely average products.

People fall for it every single fucking time. I don't know why.
Maybe it's his accent.
Probably is the accent actually, my curmodgeony Film teacher who produced commercials for a living for several years once confided in us- "Get a British woman to say it, gets them every time."

Peter Molyneux is pretty close.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
This sounds like a "Good in theory" kind of thing. I don't think this should be in the reviews, but just a seperate article or something.

I mean, non-gamers and gamers are on opposite sides of the spectrum here:

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
don't you have anymore fable 2 related pictures malygris? I've seen that one in two other articles :p

Nokterne

Aug 27, 2008
I really like Peter Molyneux. I can understand people getting pissed at the hype he creates around his games, but I don't think he does it intentionally. He's just a guy who really loves what he does, and I think he gets really excited about his projects, leading people to get equally excited, which in turn leads them to disappointment when they realize that you can't actually plant trees in the game.

I think the comment he made here is being taken slightly out of context. He wants reviewers to take into account that the game does appeal to a wide audience, instead of them labelling it as too easy after playing 15 minutes before they have discovered any of the depth.

This game WILL be easy to finish. Molyneux has said over and over that he wants ANYONE to be able to play and beat this game. He may just be worried that reviewers will criticize this and not realize that the variety of outcomes and comparing of different player experiences is something that will add an incredible amount to the game.