Peter Molyneux does it again: Godus Development "No longer his focus" with features missing.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
He should just go back to doing Amiga-era games. Those where good. Bullfrog was a brand of quality back then, up until 97 or so.... well, excluding Dungeon Keeper. So not entirely fair. '99 then ....

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Why is this man still relevant?

It kind on annoys me in this regard too. Why does Peter get away with committing fraud, yet when I try it, I'll get an officer knocking on my door?

And it's time and time again! You'd think people woul- aah. Fuckit. People are fucking stupid.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Mutant1988 said:
[...]

And those IPs belong to EA if I'm not mistaken (100% on DK, not on Populous and B&W)...

That makes me even more sad.
I am unsure if MS owns the IP's for B&W since they technically have Lionhead now. But I'd consider that very likely.
Yeah, B&W's always been with Microsoft. Pop, Pretty sure they're EA, as I recall them being EA back in the day. Could be wrong on that though.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
BeerTent said:
Why is this man still relevant?

It kind on annoys me in this regard too. Why does Peter get away with committing fraud, yet when I try it, I'll get an officer knocking on my door?

And it's time and time again! You'd think people woul- aah. Fuckit. People are fucking stupid.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Mutant1988 said:
[...]

And those IPs belong to EA if I'm not mistaken (100% on DK, not on Populous and B&W)...

That makes me even more sad.
I am unsure if MS owns the IP's for B&W since they technically have Lionhead now. But I'd consider that very likely.
Yeah, B&W's always been with Microsoft. Pop, Pretty sure they're EA, as I recall them being EA back in the day. Could be wrong on that though.
EA has Populous, it was free on Origin at one point. Theme Hospital is currently free.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I understand a developer's plans aren't always compatible with the external forces of developing a game, such as time and money. I just wonder why Peter Molyneux hasn't even learned the basics of what can be done with current technology for many of the things he wants to create when making a game just seems like we aren't quiet to that level of technology and development yet.

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
I'm honestly surprised he got anybody to pledge that much on his kickstarter.
Starting with Black&White (though that was still a good game) he has not held what he promised even once as far as I know.

Sure, throwing 10$ or 20$ at him is something I can get behind, just for the odd chance he actually delivers and because what he usually delivers is at least playable if very mediocre.
But throwing thousands at a guy who has repeatedly gone "meh, screw those people, I'm done with this project" after finishing half of it sounds utterly crazy.

ceyan

Oct 13, 2014
I think it's hilarious that mobile is taking precedence for bringing in the most revenue, but does that count the 800k+ USD they got for developing the thing in the first place? Money which, at least some extent, would have been counted as revenue for sales if they hadn't done a kickstarter.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Whatever happened to that guy who won the Curiosity cube thing? Has he seen any cash out of this?

I think Peter may have made a bad choice going with Kickstarter. Customers find silly old Peter over-promising and blowing all his budget because of how gosh darn excited he is a lot less cute when its their money he's burned and not some publishers.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Olrod said:
Peter Molyneux is like the Uwe Boll of videogame development.
I have to disagree. Uwe Boll produced at least one good product.

(in all fairness, though, there is only one Uwe Boll)

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
The Bucket said:
Whatever happened to that guy who won the Curiosity cube thing? Has he seen any cash out of this?

I think Peter may have made a bad choice going with Kickstarter. Customers find silly old Peter over-promising and blowing all his budget because of how gosh darn excited he is a lot less cute when its their money he's burned and not some publishers.
Actually, Eurogamer just had an article with him. He got to visit the studio, got a signed poster and t-shirt, and then hasn't been in real contact with them since. So outside of that, nothing that was "life changing."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-02-11-the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot

18 months later and not a damn thing. At least he's taking it like a champ.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Olrod said:
Peter Molyneux is like the Uwe Boll of videogame development.
To be fair, Uwe Boll simply doesn't give a shit and releases blatant garbage. Peter's issue has always been promising the sun and stars and never reaching those lofty goals, but even if his games are highly dissapointing, they're not that bad.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
The Bucket said:
Maybe "some publishers" weren't too thrilled with his recent track record, either. ;)

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Qitz said:
Actually, Eurogamer just had an article with him. He got to visit the studio, got a signed poster and t-shirt, and then hasn't been in real contact with them since. So outside of that, nothing that was "life changing."

Interesting read. It sounds like 22Cans had no idea what to do with their eventual "winner".

He is taking it well though. I'd have written them off much sooner.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Silentpony said:
So is he just like a conman or something?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but just in case you aren't, it's less being a con-man and more of repeatedly claiming his games will be super awesome and have a ton of features, only to be released and be somewhat less impressive.

Like if I promised you a wonderful spaghetti dinner, then proceeded to open a can of franco-american, heat it up in the microwave and serve it to you with plastic spoons. Not so much lying but sure as hell not living up to the promises made.
More like promising an awesome wonderful spaghetti dinner made from scratch, with great meatballs and sauce and other garnishes... and then, after screwing up trying to make the noodles, overcooking the sauce, getting the spice balance in the meatballs wrong, and then sheepishly admitting that you're not as great a cook as you believe yourself to be, while trying to salvage the disaster.

Peter Molyneux is a guy who wants to make people become Gods... but his ambition overshoots his ability.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
He sold on his name alone. He asked for money to make a game, people gave him money for the game. An now he isnt making the game and has moved on to something else. Thing is Peter is a professional game developer with many years experience. He should no what it takes to make and develop a game from scratch. He isnt someone coding in their basement.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
He sold on his name alone.
How though? People who were familiar with his name should have known that he never delivers on his promises. NEVER. He's made some fun stuff a long time ago, and even that stuff wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. You can see obviously wasted potential in every single one of his works. The guy can't be trusted.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Scow2 said:
Dalisclock said:
Silentpony said:
So is he just like a conman or something?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but just in case you aren't, it's less being a con-man and more of repeatedly claiming his games will be super awesome and have a ton of features, only to be released and be somewhat less impressive.

Like if I promised you a wonderful spaghetti dinner, then proceeded to open a can of franco-american, heat it up in the microwave and serve it to you with plastic spoons. Not so much lying but sure as hell not living up to the promises made.
More like promising an awesome wonderful spaghetti dinner made from scratch, with great meatballs and sauce and other garnishes... and then, after screwing up trying to make the noodles, overcooking the sauce, getting the spice balance in the meatballs wrong, and then sheepishly admitting that you're not as great a cook as you believe yourself to be, while trying to salvage the disaster.

Peter Molyneux is a guy who wants to make people become Gods... but his ambition overshoots his ability.
As time goes on I have more and more trouble giving Peter enough credit to attribute it all to simple overexcitement and incompetence. He's been doing this for a while, he must have some idea that some of his promises might be a bit overstated

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Qitz said:
The Bucket said:

After reading that I think even less of Molyneux. He really is just a professional con man, up there with Randy Pitchford.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Silentpony said:
Dalisclock said:
Silentpony said:

Yeah, but if you start a Kickstarter campaign on making a perfect spaghetti dinner, and then after making your funding goal simply opened up a single can of Chef Boyardee, poured half of it into a bowl, and then said you were bored and walked away, all the while refusing people Kickstarter refunds...what OTHER term do we have but conman?
Liar, maybe. Thief would probably be more accurate, honestly.
Nah with Peter Molyneux its more like he really enjoys making a spaghetti dinner and is really enthusiastic about it, talks people into joining him for the greatest spag bol ever and then disappears into the kitchen for most of the evening with all kinds of 21 day matured mince steak, hand picked mushrooms, sun ripened tomatoes and garden grown herbs.

He never realises he isn't quite at good at spaghetti dinners as he thought he was so the meal is late, the timing is all off and the spaghetti has gotten cold by the time the sauce is ready and stuck together so he microwaves it but he overdid the mince and put far to much pesto in. Once he has watched everyone try and eat it without being to rude he shakes their hands as they leave and tells everyone with a bright, genuine smile "next week its Chicken Teriyaki!"

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
He sold on his name alone.
How though? People who were familiar with his name should have known that he never delivers on his promises. NEVER. He's made some fun stuff a long time ago, and even that stuff wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. You can see obviously wasted potential in every single one of his works. The guy can't be trusted.
A little too much dreaming is how. People read Peter Molyneux and God Game and instantly wanted to believe him so they gave money. I almost did too but then I remembered he has a horrible track record and didn't. I'm sure a good bit of them also thought a lot of his faults were due to publishers and that he could handle it on his own perfectly fine. Nope. It's 100% him.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I've always considered Peter Molyneux to be like a wacky uncle. Crazy uncle Pete who shows up once a year to tell his wild tales and fish stories. You never really believe all the things old uncle Pete is saying, but he's family and you love him anyway.

This Godus stuff though, it's just sad. It makes him feel less like Good Ol' Uncle Pete and more like a straight up villain.