Peter Molyneux Hates Free-To-Play

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Peter Molyneux Hates Free-To-Play

Peter Molyneux warns that if free-to-play game developers continue to be "obsessively greedy," they could end up facing the same restrictions as online gambling houses.

The term "free-to-play" covers a lot of ground. Some games are legitimately free, with options allowing serious fans to blow a few bucks as they see fit, while others are virtually unplayable without regular infusions of cash. Peter Molyneux, the man behind a whole bunch of games you really like and a few you probably don't, is getting into the business himself with Godus, but in an interview with Develop he warned that the F2P model as we've come to know it is untenable in the long run.

"We cannot continue to be obsessively greedy with our consumers, grooming children for hundreds of pounds from their parents' accounts," he said. "I hate the term 'free-to-play', and I hate the way the model is burning through our consumers and the tender shoots of new gamers."

He reiterated comments he made last month describing Godus as "invest-to-play [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132255-Molyneux-Godus-Is-Invest-To-Play-Not-F2P]," which he said feels like a "more responsible way of monetizing free games." He also said that game makers have a more practical reason for changing the way they approach the payment model: To avoid possible legislative restrictions on the market.

"If we're not very careful, we'll be in the same place that gambling apps are now," he said. "Those go through unbelievably strict legislative requirements."

The European Commission announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132578-Free-To-Play-Games-Face-Tougher-Regulation-In-Europe] at the tail end of February that it was holding meetings with relevant agencies from various European nations as well as Google and Apple to discuss "proper consumer protection for apps customers." An investigation into the matter by the Office of Fair Trading in the U.K. resulted in developers in that country being given until April 1 to make changes to their games that include up-front notifications of the use of microtransactions and in-game advertising.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/molyneux-f2p-studios-cannot-continue-grooming-children/0190185]

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
While I think it's the duty of every parent to know what their kids are doing and set proper restrictions, I fully agree with mr Molyneux. The companies that make the kind of games he's talking about are perfectly aware and (I suspect) counting on the addiction and cluelesness of their customers. Just because a person doesn't know better, doesn't mean you should take advantage of him/her.

Plus I fucking hate the model. F2P used to mean things like Maple Story, not what it's become today.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
I couldn't agree more with the guy. There are some great F2P games out there, but (especially on my phone) I am all too often in a situation where I download-and-delete because I can't even get into the game before I'm asked to pay to get access to basic functionality.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
I hope hes right. Not only are tons of those incredibly exploitative, they might very well put AAA games out of business.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I agree with this right-being dude. It's damn bad when a game has to be designed according to what gives the most opportunities to charge extra, instead of what makes the game the most fun.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Considering what I saw of Godus and how murky that whole "investing" deal is there (considering he didn't really clarify, at least as far as I know, what exactly differentiates it), I'm a bit unsure what to make of his comments. I guess he has a point for the really abusive free-to-play games and there should be restrictions in place, sure, but overall I think it's a legitimate business model that, like so many others, can be misused if developers and publishers are left to their own devices. I'm currently playing Tiberium Alliances on and off, a free-to-play browser game with elements of RTS and Tower Defense. I like it. And, frankly, I'm not spending a single cent on it, because while there are boosts, they are mostly about convenience, not outright pay-to-win, and a lot of those boosts you can actually get through fighting neutrals anyway. Sure, I'll never be as quick as people who spend real money on it, but I don't feel that I have to spend to get anywhere, either.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Raziel said:
I hope hes right. Not only are tons of those incredibly exploitative, they might very well put AAA games out of business.
It might succeed in doing that ... but only by killing gaming as a trillion dollar business by souring the new generation on gaming in general with their soul destroying F2P shit. Molyneux is right enough in recognizing that problem.

That said, he's part of the problem.

"Peter Molyneux: I actually like shops in games."

There is no way to remove the perverse incentives from F2P, it cultivates junkies among the players and moral degenerates among the developers.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/195806/

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Is it me, or is the entire ftp model basically the same, and as ethically questionable as setting up a cash bar at an AA meeting? Yeah they're not all gonna succumb. But the few who do will be throwing money at you to the detriment of life. That's your business model.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I agree. When children can run up thousand pound debts from playing on their parent's tablet, something's gone terribly wrong. Especially when some games seem designed to exploit this...

In my experience, Star Trek Online does F2P fairly well - the (extensive) plot is completely available, and you won't hit a difficulty paywall or anything like that. As fas as I can tell, you only really need to invest if you're going to take the PVP really seriously. In theory, you can farm dilithium and buy anything that way, but it'll take forever.

Instead, you pay for what are essentially geeky 'perks'. A Galaxy Glass with a new look and a special ability, or a Borg crew member, or a pet to follow you around. That sort of thing.

(Of course, while STO does the F2P model fairly well, the gameplay gets fairly repetitive after the 17th mission of "Fly to base/anomaly/missing ship - Space battle - Beam to ship/base/planet - Ground battle - Emergency! Beam back to the ship - CLIMACTIC space battle - Done.")

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Path of Exile, Loudout, Star Trek Online, Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2. The only f2p games in the endless ocean of f2p games that do a good job at being f2p as far as I'm aware. I can't believe I actually agree with this guy.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Said Molyneux again, while thinking of some way to make a crappy game to fit his "new" payment model

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
Adam Jensen said:
Path of Exile, Loudout, Star Trek Online, Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2. The only f2p games in the endless ocean of f2p games that do a good job at being f2p as far as I'm aware. I can't believe I actually agree with this guy.
Warframes pretty good too. The only stuff that cant be gotten with in game crafting is 100% cosmetic stuff. It gives you a choice with most of the geames weapons, either spend an hour gathering mats and credits for a blueprint, then 12-24 hours to craft, or drop like £3 on it.

EDIT: And I find this line of talk hilariously Ironic from the man that brought us curiosity.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
He actually make a good point since which online game is truly free to play with no optional cost on buying stuff?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Much as I cheer the sentiment, I'd like to hear more about the specifics of this "invest to play" thing before I give full credit to the source.

And while part of me would be thrilled to see legislation drive a stake through the dark heart of the exploitative side of F2P (especially those who would use F2P-style sales on top of standard-priced "entry" fees), I'm not at all sure a model has fully emerged yet that can take the place of the foundering AAA industry.

I do think Molyneux has a good point about what the F2P model is doing to the next generation of gamers, though.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
This coming from the guy who tried to make you pay £3 for black dye in fable 3. How very ironic.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
LOTRO used to have a good F2P model, they also were the first major Western game to do it, no idea how good it is now, as haven't play in like at least 2 years.