Peter Molyneux Is Terrified

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
I want him to succeed too. I like the idea that innovation still exists in gaming and Molyneux always seemed to have huge ideas that never really became a reality. Hopefully this'll change without constraints from big corporations.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Good, he's made a few stinkers lately but from the sounds of it publishers could have had a hand in that. Either way I'm glad he's putting his heart into it, Fable:TLC is one of my favorite games, and although it's sequels pretty much ruined the whole series for me, I have faith he could make something good again.

Also i'm still finding it weird that some people consider the first fable bad or a failure.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Didnt he have full control over Fable? Wasnt it him saying how he wanted to make all those to dumb it down and create the pointless dog? Fable could have been awesome if he didnt mess it up. To be honest i love his early games and i just wonder if he isnt capable of making a great game based on modern tech. With his older games he was limited by graphics, memory etc and thus concentrated on the actual game. Now you can do almost anything with current tech and he just adds stuff to games for the sake of it, like everything in Fable 3.

I wish him luck though.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Molyneux is a manic Tom Cruise, jumping up and down on Oprah's couch. In some ways he is a great guy, but always slightly delusional. I hope one of his more recent ideas pans out some time.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
47_Ronin said:
Molyneux is a manic Tom Cruise, jumping up and down on Oprah's couch. In some ways he is a great guy, but always slightly delusional. I hope one of his more recent ideas pans out some time.
I don't equate dreaming to mental illness ;)...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
"It is a quite ambitious thing to do." It is. And I want him to succeed.
Mainstream gaming lacks Ambition. Creative ambition, that is.

It seems most times the only ambition is to rehash something and see if it can hit a deeper pocket of the market.
(and due to consolidation, that's a big part of why CoD4.x continues to do so, despite the console market stagnating something fierce, and shrinking elsewhere)

As much as I mock Molyneux's recent works, it is admirable to see such ambition in an era of endless rehashes sequels, and stagnation.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
razor343 said:
I feel like Peter Molyneux is the Nikola Tesla of gaming...anyone with me on this?
Agreed.

People in this topic have already mentioned it, but if Molyneux wants to succeed in his projects, he needs someone to ground him in reality and help him sort out his ideas. In a way, he kinda reminds me of Jack Black: extremely enthusiastic about his work, but goes a little over-the-top and ruins the project he wanted to make so great. The reason Brutal Legend, the fantastic game between him and Tim Schafer, was so great was because Schafer kept Black on a tight leash so he couldn't inject "too" much passion into the work.

And I feel that's the problem with Molyneux. If he got a decent planner and had someone to question all of his brilliant ideas, then we might have one of the best games of the decade here. As much as people hate on him, I want Molyneux to succeed, and I want him to stay in the industry and influence us. The alternative is more CoD and Halo, and as much of a Halo fanboy that I am, that terrifies me.

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
Modern video gaming has ruined Peter Molyneux. Back in the 90's where tiny pixels represented the limits of a man's imagination, he was a god-king. But today every concept and character design requires so much time, artistry, and man hours that he is totally lost in a world without the flexibility his creative process required. He is still operating in a time when thirty-six pixels could be a starship or theme park ride, and any design change could knocked out in an hour. Aesthetics of modern gaming has moved on, and with it you have to committed to an idea once it's rendered. That's why he keeps promising us the moon and failing to deliver.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I have to say, after meeting P.M in person and speaking to him briefly about the world of gaming industry as someone who is trying to leap in to the train.

I wish all best to him, he is a really nice man - really. People miht think otherwise, but he is a really nice person.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I dont blame the man for being terrified. I loved Fable 2, and 3 was very average, but curiosity what's inside the cube...... I wouldn't even spit on it.

I don't even give a shit what's inside the bloody cube! Seems like a money drain to me "buy stuff to help you chip into the cubes" Molyneux was taking the piss with the tool buying thing.

I am also not impressed by the Godus art he is trying to show off.