Peter Molyneux Leaves Lionhead

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Not a huge loss, hasnt made anything truly great in 15 years. I sometimes wonder if the limits of earlier computers was what made him shine. But now he has freedom to do almost anything with today technology he tries to hard to add everything instead of making a solid game and adding stuff if there is time. He talks big ideas but never follows through.

Maybe he will stick to smaller games that will be limited but awesome.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
FINALLY! molyneux will be able to bring us his totally brilliant games without microsoft and the losers at lionhead ruining everything and watering it all down

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
*Ahem*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Seriously, where will i get my hilarious overexaggerations for the fable games now?

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
SonOfVoorhees said:
Not a huge loss, hasnt made anything truly great in 15 years. I sometimes wonder if the limits of earlier computers was what made him shine. But now he has freedom to do almost anything with today technology he tries to hard to add everything instead of making a solid game and adding stuff if there is time. He talks big ideas but never follows through.

Maybe he will stick to smaller games that will be limited but awesome.
Couldn't agree more. Dungeon Keeper was the last game from Molyneux that I actually enjoyed. He has some fun ideas, but I never get the impression he's a particularly good game developer these days.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Wow...

Well, if anyone can build a new world, it's Molyneux. Even if it's just castles in the sky, they're going to be beautiful - if slightly...wonky.
Unfortunately, he's already promised the new franchise will be bigger than a million Superbowls.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well Im thinking this would likely be the best thing that happened to the fable franchise.

Not that Molyneaux actually hurt the series but because people refused to take it seriously because they could not look beyond his hypemongering.

Without molyneaux to rant and rail on how ever will persnickety fanboys be able to focus their nerdrage and hatred toward the series?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
dogstile said:
*Ahem*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Seriously, where will i get my hilarious overexaggerations for the fable games now?
Fable 4 will offer a unique gameplay experience like no other. The engine has been redesigned from the ground up, and anything you can possibly imagine can be done in the game. Want to marry an octopus? You can do it. Want to sneak into the King's house and dress him up as Madonna? Go for it! Want to Resurrect Jimi Hendrix and grow him to monstrous proportions so he can have an epic battle Rap with Tupac Shakur? It's in there!

The next Fable will incorporate new technology that literally maps your brain, not only allowing direct controls but tailoring the experience to your expectations!

...No, try as I might, I can't do it. I can make ridiculous promises, but I can't make PETER MOLYNEUX level ridiculous promises.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Come OOOOOOONNNNN Dungeon Keeper 3!

Or a re-make of DK1? ... Please?

This is good news. Good luck to him and I hope (and don't doubt) something wonderful will come out of him soon.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
I'm quite saddened by this actually. And it surprised me. I was about to watch the latest ZP and this actually managed to stop me so I could read through and find out what was going on. XD

God knows what Lionhead will do now that they can't make promises to me anymore about how Fable 4 will let me play as my dead cat, Friday. And how it'll stop the annoying boy next door from playing his recorder really badly. And how I can have an entire army of turtles.

While most people either like him or just grow tired of his constant hyping. Peter Molyneux manages to be quite the personality for Microsoft. God knows what they'll do now. :p

We can rebuild him? I can't wait to see what Molyneux gets up to next.

But this is turning into an essay isn't it? Either way. It'll be interesting to see his next move.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
My hope is that Molyneux, freed from the need to sequelize his best-known IPs, will get back to making games like he used to. But in order for that to happen, we also have to hope that someone at 22 Cans, presumably the founder, will be able to keep him focused: have an idea, refine the idea, make the idea great and then lock it down and bring it to life. If that happens, this could turn out to be a very big move indeed.

Feb 13, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Andy Chalk said:
Molyneux will continue to work on the new Fable title, Fable: The Journey, as a creative consultant, but according to MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/peter-molyneux-quits-lionhead-and-microsoft/092391] his name will now be on a door at 22 Cans, a new venture launched in January by former Lionhead Chief Technical Officer Tim Rance. What the boys plan to get up to hasn't been revealed, but it's a safe bet that videogames will somehow be involved.
That strikes me as a way of saying "yeah, I'm going to try and make a harem of female gamers."

Can't quite see it myself...

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Robert Ewing said:
And just when I was getting interested in his newer ideas that aren't fable. Oh well...
That's probably why he left. Considering how profitable Fable is, I doubt he would be allowed to work on other projects.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I'd say this is a good thing, over-all. Working under Microsoft is the worst thing that any good developer can do. Just look at what they did with Bungie, turned a brilliant development team into a Halo manufacturing warehouse, and they did the same thing with Lionhead. Developers DON'T like making the same thing over and over again, but heaven forbid that Microsoft should green-light a new idea once in a while.