Petition Demands Female Jarheads in Aliens: Colonial Marines

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
As mentioned above, why the hell didn't they think to include females from the off?

As also mentioned above, who the hell thinks a petition is going to impress people? Still, least it wasn't a boycott.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I see nothing wrong with people wanting to customize more aspects of their character, especially for something so broad as gender.

I signed this petition, and honestly, why not. No on eis accusing Gearbox of sexism and they already have the game assets so I see no reason as to not set an example for other companies in including females in their customization.

There is literally, nothing that can go wrong by signing this petition, so why not?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Signed it. While I am not sure if I use the female marine (probably, knowing myself) and adding one or two addional female characters shouldn't be too hard for Gearbox. I don't see it impossible to happen, even that "close" to release (still several months).

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Like it really matters.

So! you are bored with males and yet stereotypical jarheads are interesting? Sounds like equal rights gone mad.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Sleekit said:
they should ask James Cameron for a statement :p

the guy is kinda infamous for his love of strong and/or buff women and would surely back the campaign...
As well as Ridley Scott and Joss Whedon (Even though he was involved with Alien Resurrection which never existed). I actually consider them to be EXTREMIST feminists who are always injecting agendas into their work.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
My dog loves to watch me play video games, I think we should add a canine follower to this game too so that way when my Skipper watches me travel the ingame world he can see someone to relate too.
There are many people in this world who enjoy watching video games, there also many pet owners who play video games and have furry companions to guide us as we cross a digital waste land.

We must petition Gearbox at once and have them see the error of their ways and add this into their game.

Stripes

May 22, 2012
"most importantly the QUEEN". Seriously? Thats the best female character? An Alien whos only purpose, of which it is treated as a machine to fulfil, is to reproduce? I dont see that as any commentary on women or anything but hardly what I would call empowerment if your looking for some. Seems a strange ommision really though I can understand not thinking about it considering most shooters have either male only characters or the characters gender is impossible to identify.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
I don't understand what Ferro did that made her badass. Either way, I don't see the issue. Nobody complains that women aren't allowed to serve in the front-lines, and I think that's a bigger issue of equality that this. At least in the U.S.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
SacremPyrobolum said:
I signed this petition, and honestly, why not. No on eis accusing Gearbox of sexism
You haven't looked hard. People on this very forum have done so, its actually quite disturbing.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
And... signed. Definitely right thing to do. I can't believe nobody already thought of this.

Plus it's a way for them to atone for the horrendous presentation of women (even if done *sigh* "ironically") that was Duke Nukem Forever.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Dammit, Gearbox! When your bosses told you to remove your brains and replace them with your nutsacks during the development of Duke Nukem Forever, they didn't mean PERMANENTLY!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
In the midst of all the focus on women in videogames, and they elect to leave them out of one of the strongest women-centric series around?

Stupid move, Gearbox. Stupid move.

FitScotGaymer

Mar 30, 2011
Am I the only one who get's irritated with Andy Chalk's news articles?

It's like he just can't help himself but drip his irrelevant opinion all over every single news article he writes. Where the heck is the editor?

"I don't like consumers making demands of developers but..."

Who cares what you don't like?! It's a news article not an editorial or opinion piece!

News articles contain the facts as far as a journalist knows them, and thats it.

Jeezo.

Considering the universe is famous for its strong female characters, the omission of Female PCs in the game is mind boggling and it is perfectly reasonable to request that they be included. Especially if the Player Character is not a pre-set character, as seems to be the case here.
Also in this day and age of equality and inclusiveness the omission of female pc's (where the choice of male pc's is available) is even more surprising.

Starting a petition to show support for said request is NOT a demand on the developers; its a way to demonstrate that this particular request has wider supprt and thus would be worth the extra expense in time and money for the developers to pursue it.

Could you be any more cynical? Lol.

Jeyl

Aug 10, 2010
I'm going to check a few things out.

Aliens Vs. Predator for Jaguar: Male Marine
Aliens Vs. Predator for PC: Male Marine
Aliens Vs. Predator 2 for PC: Male Marine
Aliens Vs. Predator multi-platform: Male Marine
ALIENS: Colonial Marines: Male Marine

Hehe. Wow. It's like nobody even cared or contemplated on having the option to play as a female marine. At least Star Trek: Elite Force was generous enough to allow players the option of choosing the gender of the PC, including full voice work for both genders!

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Yeah, after 25 year Vasquez (Michelle Rodriguez) is still T.H.E. bad ass women. And she managed to get this icon in an supporting role!!!! How more bad ass can ANYONE get?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Foolproof said:
So, they want women to be raped killed in this game?

Thats not just distorting the events, thats quite obviously what goes on in these games. Yeah, people want it like Ripley, but you may remember that Ripley was not one of the people being slaughtered willy nilly. This is about the cannon fodder - remember, in the main storyline, there are women already, this is just about the multiplayer, where the humans will spend the bulk of time getting raped killed.
Poor choice of wording considering the topic.

And Andy, why the dislike for online petitions? Sure, the majority of them are useless, but occasionally you get Dark Souls ported to the PC, so I call it a win overall.