Petition to Free Jailed League of Legends Player Reaches 100,000 Sigs

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Freedom of speech doe not equal freedom from consequences of what you say. With that in mind, this is way out of line. At most, his folks should have been called and they should have been the ones to sort it, as that should have been the worst consequence.

McKinsey

Nov 14, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
When's the last time you shouted "fire" in a crowded theater or made a joke about a bomb at an airport?

"Whatever and whenever" never existed. Let's not pretend otherwise.
Please remind me of the last time shouting "Fire!" or "Bomb!" on the Internet led to someone being crushed under the heels of a panicked mob. Now that we can't actually hurt anyone in this new public space of the future, maybe we should leave that "crowded theatre" thinking behind?

Killclaw Kilrathi

Crocuta Crocuta
Dec 28, 2010
I have no love for the LoL community, and this guy's comment was the height of poor taste. That said, it was clearly sarcasm and should have warranted nothing more than a slap on the wrist, something minor to remind him that the authorities do take this stuff seriously. At this point I'd say reduce his sentence to "time served" and be done with it.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
This basically means terrorism won as far as America is concerned. The point of terrorism is to spread mass fear, paranoia and panic, right? Well, it's done. It worked.

Regardless of whether the kid goes free or not, his life is fucked. Completely and absolutely ruined.
He's got enough negative press to the point that nobody will be willing to employ him when he grows up, the criminal accusation is going to stay...he might even be kicked out of school on grounds of the school not wanting him around.

Reven

Feb 7, 2012
The way i see it, Should he have been punished for what he said? Yes, i feel that too many people hide behind the internet, thinking they can say whatever they want without consequence. However, 8 years in jail or more? That is total overkill.

Too many people don't really realize the consequences of their actions on the internet (both in the sense of this person, as well as costing possible future employment). Most people don't seem to understand that when you put something on the internet (particularly on Facebook or whatever) It's going to be there for a very long time, or forever. In this case the consequences were much more literal, and too overzealous, however I feel that comments such as the one he made should be punished in some manner. (just not for 8 years unless they find that he was actually going to act on it *ie: finding guns under his bed and a layout of the school or whatever*, 8 years is simply far too extreme for the situation.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
fi6eka said:
Nihilm said:
Well with a response like that, I am sure your next, get your bum ready, cause it is jail time
Why?Stating that this guy was a retarded schmuck is not a threat to his person, and therefore it is not аn indictable offense.
You are clearly racist towards retarded schmucks, so I think we have a hate-crime here and as we all now freedom of speech nor context matters so /sarcasm

What I actually meant was not that specific line, but your attitude in general, you just scream the kind of person who would make a personal threat if pushed far enough on the internet.

Srsly, think a little before you take a over-reacted stance just because someone was a jerk do you on the internet frequently or recently and your funneling that anger.

nvzboy

Dec 29, 2012
Some people here have stated that the law wants to "set an example" by punishing this kid. What example? What is that example supposed to mean? Sarcasm is now outlawed? Even that route to justify the actions of the law enforcers is completely wrong.

If this sort of thing happened in Europe, the guy would have been on the news for having caused a fuss, be fined for falsely putting the police on alert, everyone would laugh at him and continue on their merry ways.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Everyone involved in his arrest and imprisonment should lose their jobs, it's absolutely disgusting what they have done to him and they should be ashamed of themselves for letting it get so far.

The fact that the mother is apologizing for what he said makes it even worse, is it really a society we want to live in that we have to live in fear that something we say might earn us jail time?

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
chikusho said:
'Murica, Land of the Free my ass.

This is is rapidly turning into something reminiscent of the Salem witch trials.

There is no longer such a thing as "innocent until proven guilty".
You're misleading yourself if you think this is somehow new.
And... so... what makes you think I believe this is something new?

McKinsey said:
Unless we've all been magically transported back to the Medieval ages, I'm pretty sure you can say whatever you want and whenever you want. Putting people in jail because of "dumbass comments" is not an indication of a healthy society.
When's the last time you shouted "fire" in a crowded theater or made a joke about a bomb at an airport?

"Whatever and whenever" never existed. Let's not pretend otherwise.
Shouting fire in a crowded theater might get you a fine for inciting panic. Making a bomb joke at an airport might get you apprehended, questioned and searched due to (misguided) suspicion. Silly as it may be, in both of these instances there's at least a direct correlation between the joke and the location.
But apparently making a facebook joke is enough to put someone in prison for 8 years.
You are misleading yourself if you think your examples are proportional to this situation.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
War on terror is over guys. Terrorists won, gg no re.

There aren't enough words to describe how dumb this entire situation is.

zefichan

Jul 19, 2011
But apparently making a facebook joke is enough to put someone in prison for 8 years.
If he had gone on a rampage, you'd be here, screaming why the authorities didn't take him seriously.

Yes, he should have been arrested, searched and questioned. No, this is not an overreaction - lol/jk aren't universally known.

He shouldn't be in prison, because the search turned up empty, but the search should have been done.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
So saying that you're going to shoot up a school means that you intend to disrupt the public water supply? I'm failing to see the logic of half the things he is accused of.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Sarge034 said:
I find myself not caring. There are some things you JUST DON'T SAY. People think that because it is the internet they can say what they want. He said what he said, someone felt threatened, and now he has to pay for it.
Fuck that. In the context of comedy, people say all manner of crazy shit. No one should be arrested for it. If I want to make a joke about a school shooting, I'll do it. And if someone is offended by it, fair enough. But that's not the same as a 'threat'. For something to be a threat, *someone has to be threatened*! Not 'feel threatened' - he didn't make a threat against this woman, or against anyone specific, he made a flippant remark.

What the fuck is the world coming to? This is some serious Orwellian bullshit.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
zefichan said:
If he had gone on a rampage, you'd be here, screaming why the authorities didn't take him seriously.

Yes, he should have been arrested, searched and questioned. No, this is not an overreaction - lol/jk aren't universally known.

He shouldn't be in prison, because the search turned up empty, but the search should have been done.
Fine. I'm going to shoot Obama. Come and search me.