Petition to Free Jailed League of Legends Player Reaches 100,000 Sigs

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
So we're supposed to blame THE ENTIRE U.S. JUSTICE SYSTEM because Texas can't get its shit together about one kid? And seeing as how he was arrest by the Austin Police Department I guess I better start pitching a fit about the FBI, right? No, I believe in giving blame where blame is due. If things are screwed up on a state and local level then I'm going to ***** about the state and local authorities. Texas and Comal County screwed this up and their officials are the ones who need to own up to this.

Tony Gigliotti

Jul 10, 2013
Its sad that Justin had to go through this. luckily for him his parents care a lot. and because of that the world knows about this injustice.
Its a good thing my family got back to being good friends with his dad, Jack Carter, right on time. Jack came to us desperate asking us to help do a fundraiser to get a lawyer. We told him to go public on it and post a petition on change.org. We had a similar situation where I did something stupid with an obscure Texas law, but I didn't need to go public since we had a big lawyer.

It's kinda funny. I was wondering how far it would spread. Then I check for a new Jimquisition and below I see a post for Justin and my face lights up since I could never get this kind of publicity for my cause when I was slandered by Fox new back in Feb 2010. I pray that he gets out soon. Jail makes a criminal out of people wrongfuly put there.

Edit: btw I lurk on escapist 99% of the time. I made an account for this since I shared the hell out of his petition on facebook and I might as well comment on my favorite site about it.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Kids have been saying stupid things for centuries only now we have the internet where everyone can see it, as for the case it seems like a classic example of the police/prison/judicial system having an agenda/incentive to prison people for profit, which is a big problem in the states.

As for terrorism it's getting bloody ridiculous, because if we've got super high tech security systems monitoring our phones, email and online activity, CCTV everywhere, x-ray body scanners in airports and kids being patted down and searched by the TSA, then I'd say the terrorists have won.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Do they give compensation to those wrongfully imprisoned? Or is it just a letter in the mail that says "We apologize."?

I really want to know the reasoning they had behind this to keep the kid in jail for so long, for such a petty "crime".

captcha: bird cage
I hear ya....

nvzboy

Dec 29, 2012
Flatfrog said:
nvzboy said:
Some people here have stated that the law wants to "set an example" by punishing this kid. What example? What is that example supposed to mean? Sarcasm is now outlawed? Even that route to justify the actions of the law enforcers is completely wrong.

If this sort of thing happened in Europe, the guy would have been on the news for having caused a fuss, be fined for falsely putting the police on alert, everyone would laugh at him and continue on their merry ways.
I wish that were true, but you obviously aren't aware of the Paul Chambers case

I think this is a genuinely worrying development at the moment. No one should *ever* be arrested purely on the basis of spoken words - not even direct threats. That is not a clear and present danger, people!
Oh... Guess I was wrong then... Now it worries me even more that it isn't even a first time and it likely won't be the last time something like this happens.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
You know what's really odd about this sentencing?
ACTUALLY running over someone while drunk gives you less.
and it's infinitely more jail time than the people that crashed the global economy when they knew they were doing some illegal stuff.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Thyunda said:
Keep calling it a 'stupid mistake' if you like, but what the hell kind of country do you live in where sarcasm is now either terrorism or a stupid mistake? Aw kid you fucked up you said something you clearly didn't mean.
I knew it was sarcasm from the first two words. "Oh yeah." Nobody starts a threat like that, that's just ridiculous. What he said was hardly kid-friendly stuff, but it's a far cry from being a legitimate threat, and if you want to look at it properly, he chose his subject deliberately to further his opponent's insult that he was insane, given the mental problems school-shooters have often been diagnosed with. This wasn't a threat, it wasn't even dark humour, it was somebody deliberately playing up the trope most associated with the mentally unstable in the US specifically to point out how ludicrous the original insult was.
This part I at least understand. Not agree with, but understand. Once it got past the one whiny asshole who reported it in the first place, somewhere, you've got some lawmen who are scared shitless of the scenario that the they ignore a threat that is clearly a joke/sarcasm, that turns out not to be a joke, and then they're stuck feeling horrible and looking like fools while dealing with the backlash if/when it comes out that they dismissed it.

Or the guy getting the call was just as much of an uptight ass as the person reporting the post, either way.

What I doin't understand is the follow up. If they felt the need to investigate, fine. Do your due diligence and leave it alone, where is the logic behind the follow up? Months long imprisonment, huge bail? They're still acting like they found something to support the concept that the threat was a real one, where the fuck is what coming from?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Jadak said:
Thyunda said:
Keep calling it a 'stupid mistake' if you like, but what the hell kind of country do you live in where sarcasm is now either terrorism or a stupid mistake? Aw kid you fucked up you said something you clearly didn't mean.
I knew it was sarcasm from the first two words. "Oh yeah." Nobody starts a threat like that, that's just ridiculous. What he said was hardly kid-friendly stuff, but it's a far cry from being a legitimate threat, and if you want to look at it properly, he chose his subject deliberately to further his opponent's insult that he was insane, given the mental problems school-shooters have often been diagnosed with. This wasn't a threat, it wasn't even dark humour, it was somebody deliberately playing up the trope most associated with the mentally unstable in the US specifically to point out how ludicrous the original insult was.
This part I at least understand. Not agree with, but understand. Once it got past the one whiny asshole who reported it in the first place, somewhere, you've got some lawmen who are scared shitless of the scenario that the they ignore a threat that is clearly a joke/sarcasm, that turns out not to be a joke, and then they're stuck feeling horrible and looking like fools while dealing with the backlash if/when it comes out that they dismissed it.

Or the guy getting the call was just as much of an uptight ass as the person reporting the post, either way.

What I doin't understand is the follow up. If they felt the need to investigate, fine. Do your due diligence and leave it alone, where is the logic behind the follow up? Months long imprisonment, huge bail? They're still acting like they found something to support the concept that the threat was a real one, where the fuck is what coming from?
This is just a guess, but it might have to do with the fact that the US justice system is a massive fucking joke. Prosecutors constantly pursue charges against people even when the state has no case, while ignoring cases brought against cops or politicians or other "privileged" folk. And that's just prosecutors. Judges and police officers have their own massive slew of problems, like officers consistently keeping their jobs after *fucking murdering* someone or worse, with no charges to boot.

Add into this private prison corporations and police/prison guard unions that literally get more money from having more prisoners/arrests, and you can see why the US has the largest incarceration rate in the world.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Father Time said:
bdcjacko said:
I think I understand where the law is coming from here. They are making an example out of this twat. If he got a reasonable sentence of 6 months in jail and a year probation, no one would talk about it. But by giving him such a harsh sentence it has us talking about what is and isn't acceptable.

Also by threating to shoot up a school and eat the still beating hearts of children is not something to acceptable joke about where anyone can see or hear. If you want to joke about it with your friends, don't got posting it on Facebook. I will not be signing the petition because I think we should punish idiots.
Yes let's all punish people because we think what they said was stupid.

The idea that we should arrest people if they're a threat or actually hurt someone, yeah screw that let's jail people we look down upon.

Edit: By the way if we admit that it is an obvious joke (which it is), then punishing him violates his free speech.
Just FYI, free speech means the freedom to disagree with the government, which we are currently exercising. It does not mean the freedom to threaten to shoot up a school even jokingly.