Pewdiepie makes $4 million a year.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
What makes him better... popularity, there are a million Britneys out there but only one Britney Spears that gets 20 mansions worth of money for doing the same shit as all the others, that is how entertainment has always worked.

I generally don't care about these pop stars until someone actually starts to take them as role models or worse yet they start shaping the industry, now that shit is just plain insanity.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
I work with one guy who's part of a popular Youtube troupe (he's a ****, so I won't say which ones in case it encourages people to go watch some of their videos), he makes a moderate amount out of it (although he says not as much as people think - but seeing as he can afford to jet off to Texas once or twice a month to go film things, it's clearly not that bad).

Edit - just realised nothing in the above was really on topic, so here goes:

Good on the lad, he's getting paid to do something he enjoys, and I'll never begrudge anyone that (within reason of course, I'd still take umbrage if someone was getting paid to beat the shit out of me, even if they enjoyed it).

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Neronium said:
Elfgore said:
Edit: And in his draw my life thing, didn't he say he used to be poor as crap?
Things change. Since he's the most subscribed to YouTuber Polaris probably cut him the best deal when it comes to his contract. What sad is people are gonna use this and think that they can make that much money, when in reality they won't even make probably a single percent of that much.
>.>

S-stop crushing dreams... I'm a broken tent already.

Nah, I know I'm never going to make a whole lot. I'll have much less time for this once I go through school again, and hopefully, get working for the RCMP. I'd be happy if I could make $20/mo. But I know that's a nigh unreachable goal. InflatableBeerTent, I'm on Twitch and Youtube. :3

That being said, a very, very large component to Pew's success lies with his traveling. He's gone around the world, and he's English-speaking. He's gone from the Netherlands, to this place, to that place... Think Italy was there? Finally, he ended up in the States. (Poor guy) Youtube tracked that, and as a result, his videos were able to reach an insane audience, as Youtube recommended him topeople in the country he was currently residing in at the time. It continues to do this too, across multiple countries. I'm lucky if Youtube recommends me to my friends and family!

When you've got advertising like that, well... You learn that there's a lot of people willing to watch just about anything under the sun. He's easy to watch, and he's kind of funny. Not my cuppa tea to re-watch or subscribe, but once you've found out how he makes his success, you find out that he's pretty lucky.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I find him too immature for me to tolerate watching, but can respect the people who enjoy what he does. I have become quite the fan of totalbiscuit, because his cynicism and honesty appeals to me. All a matter of preference.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
"Next up in 'people who don't deserve their wealth'..."

Jesus H. Christ. The publishers should step in and stop people making money by screaming over footage of their games.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Neronium said:
As an editor outside of LPing (as well as someone dicking around with his own channel) I can appreciate how frustrating it is when you DON'T have total control over your audio. You have to pay for that control and the start up costs to get the gear to run a smooth, professional looking operation are usually too high for those who just want to make a quick Let's Play and be done with it. I had to justify buying a new microphone with the fact I can use it later in my real career.

I'll never rely upon Let's Playing for a job, I don't want my fun to become a chore.

[sub]On the subject of Pewdiepie, I watched a video of his for the first time a week ago. Never again... Never again...[/sub]

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I honestly don't get how PewDiePie is so popular. He just screams and makes funny faces while playing video games.
If I wanted to watch someone scream and make funny faces while playing a video game, I'd watch Markiplier. He's just as entertaining as PewDiePie (that is to say, barely entertaining at all), but at least he's not an asshole.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Good on him. Not my cup of coffee, but I won't begrudge someone who is able to make a good living doing something they enjoy that does no harm to anyone else.

Personally I've wanted to try doing LPs and prodcasts from time to time but always become discouraged by my perceived inferiority to those who are already established in the field. That and my own time constraints, between working on my degree and holding down a full-time job I don't really have the time or money to put into the hobby. Maybe I'll give it a shot after I finish my degree, although I hold no illusions that it will ever be anything more than a hobby for me.

Personally, I prefer TotalBiscuit, Yogscast, Spoiler Warning and Entak. To each his own.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Good for him. He found a demographic and he caters to that demographic very well. I personally don't like his videos but I can't really knock him for being successful. That is WAY more than I would have thought he would be making. I imagined it being somewhere closer to the 500k mark which is still extremely high for guy who makes youtube videos.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Kotaro said:
I honestly don't get how PewDiePie is so popular. He just screams and makes funny faces while playing video games.
If I wanted to watch someone scream and make funny faces while playing a video game, I'd watch Markiplier. He's just as entertaining as PewDiePie (that is to say, barely entertaining at all), but at least he's not an asshole.
Is he the one that started the whole webcam on the face while playing craze? I really don't like that it's really unpleasant to see their face on the screen because most people don't look too attractive while playing video games.

Sleekit said:
Genocidicles said:
"Next up in 'people who don't deserve their wealth'..."
what if he was chauffeur driven to a meeting with his investment consultant once a week and then spent the rest of his time mostly at "the club" nominally playing golf...
What if when he's done recording his videos he presses a secret key on his keyboard that opens a secret corridor leading to the bat cave?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've always wondered why he's so popular. Is it the hair? The Nostalgia Critic screams 3 times as much and probably doesn't make half as much as pewd.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I've always wondered why he's so popular. Is it the hair? The Nostalgia Critic screams 3 times as much and probably doesn't make half as much as pewd.
There are many factors really. Luck, YouTube's crappy way of promoting only the most popular people, and the fact that he's been traveling and doing quite a bit with charities. Now for me, I don't like PewDiePie's videos really at all, but in real life he's a really nice guy. Problem I see is, people can't seem to separate the persona from the actual person, leading some to judge him by his internet persona instead of his actual self.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Neronium said:
Elfgore said:
Edit: And in his draw my life thing, didn't he say he used to be poor as crap?
Things change. Since he's the most subscribed to YouTuber Polaris probably cut him the best deal when it comes to his contract. What sad is people are gonna use this and think that they can make that much money, when in reality they won't even make probably a single percent of that much.
You'd be surprised. I think Cryaotic, CinnamonToastKen, Krism and TheRPGMinx actually live mostly off what they make from the videos. (pls correct me if I'm' horribly wrong)

OT: Eh, I prefer Minx. But hey, good for him. He's made the Quickie Let's Play subculture thing a possibility for a lot of talented people.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
A little off topic, but am I the only one that feel that charity often comes across as a big sham? I was once told that in a major charity organization (don't recall which one), most of the money they collected went to administration and the marketing of the campaign.

OT: I watched PDP play a part of Conker's Bad Fur Day (The Great Mighty Poo, obviously). I myself stopped playing that game because the fart-jokes got old really fast, and it didn't look like they were going to stop. So watching the Poop-boss, with PDP overusing the word "fuck" just rubbed me the wrong way.

Still, not saying he's a bad person. Just not my cup of tea, maybe some of his other videos are better. There's too many for me to start caring.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
lacktheknack said:
You'd be surprised. I think Cryaotic, CinnamonToastKen, Krism and TheRPGMinx actually live mostly off what they make from the videos. (pls correct me if I'm' horribly wrong)
No, you're correct. What I was meaning was the people who just quickly record and don't do editing on the videos at all. They won't make much if any money at all. But if you put time, effort, money (for equipment) in LPs and videos in general, then you have more of a chance.

What annoys me though is when people think that editing footage can be easy. Yeah, it can be if you don't care about quality, but for those who do then it takes a long time in some instances. I've noticed when I've lazily edited something, and I regretted it, but now I don't.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go and redo Pauper's Drop's audio recordings for a 4th time...That will make the total time I've spent on just recording Pauper's Drop itself at being 8 hours... T^T

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Neronium said:
lacktheknack said:
No, you're correct. What I was meaning was the people who just quickly record and don't do editing on the videos at all. They won't make much if any money at all. But if you put time, effort, money (for equipment) in LPs and videos in general, then you have more of a chance.

What annoys me though is when people think that editing footage can be easy. Yeah, it can be if you don't care about quality, but for those who do then it takes a long time in some instances. I've noticed when I've lazily edited something, and I regretted it, but now I don't.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go and redo Pauper's Drop's audio recordings for a 4th time...That will make the total time I've spent on just recording Pauper's Drop itself at being 8 hours... T^T
I once tried to LP Mirror's Edge, but it just kept going wrong. I gave up after spending five hours on level 1, not including commentary. :p

I love exploding peoples' minds when I tell them that the best editing makes it look like there's been no editing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Twinrehz said:
A little off topic, but am I the only one that feel that charity often comes across as a big sham? I was once told that in a major charity organization (don't recall which one), most of the money they collected went to administration and the marketing of the campaign.
That's common, but a little research will tell you which charities do the best work with their money. Pewds likes to back Project Water, which is a good charity from what I remember. I personally back Watsi, because they directly tell you what they're doing with your money.